Menu

Anyone NOT like Hooked on Phonics?

diaperjoys

I've used it with 3 kids so far, and I like it but wish it wrote out the phonics rules. It will simply show you that "ai" makes the long a sound, but I would like it to tell the rule that when 2 vowels are together, the first one does the talking, etc. I use the program along with Happy Phonics (games), Explode the Code books (reinforcement sheets) and Victory Drill Book (for fluency).

It bombed in this house. A full set was given to us about.. 4? years ago. I tried using it with then my 5-6yo who was working on phonics. She just couldn't wrap her brain around it and was getting more frustrated with learning to read. The color and fun made her really want to like it. I finally gave up on the teaching portion, put her in Phonics Pathways, and just used the leveled readers from the HOP set.

Those books are still in circulation amongst our bookshelves today, and my last two new readers also enjoyed them. I didn't bother to get the teaching parts of HOP back out for them though, they both used Phonics Pathways.

I used all three levels - K, 1 and 2 - with my son with success. HOWEVER, the cd's were much too repetitive and slow-moving for us, so I ditched them and continued myself with the other materials. Other than the cd recordings, I think the program very thorough and my little one found it fun. He is a very strong and fluent reader now.

I used all three levels - K, 1 and 2 - with my son with success. HOWEVER, the cd's were much too repetitive and slow-moving for us, so I ditched them and continued myself with the other materials. Other than the cd recordings, I think the program very thorough and my little one found it fun. He is a very strong and fluent reader now.

I agree about the CD being boring. We don't really use the CD's. We've listened just a few times. Basically we talk about the new sound introduced, then we go through the lines. If my son can't pronounce something I help him and we go back to that word a few times.

We have finished HoP K and are working on First Grade.

:iagree:I never used the CDs. I listened myself occasionally to make sure my pronunciation was correct and then ditched them.

The program was perfect for us, I highly recommend it.

I don't like it. I prefer a simple phonics program without all the bells and whistles. With my oldest dd I ended up just telling her the rules as we went along (using SL's list in the IG) or used a song tape that I have with the rules on it. With my second dd I have used Phonics Pathways and the songs. I like something that only takes a few minutes. With no script, is not flashy, ect. I like to bring in the color and fun with the actual books they read instead.

Hooked on Phonics also had too many sight words, not enough phonics. I felt that if I had to change that to make the program work it wasn't worth it. It didn't last very long in this house.

Hooked on Phonics also had too many sight words, not enough phonics.

:iagree:

If you do end up using it, make sure you teach the sight words phonetically, here's how to teach all but 5 of the most commonly taught 220 sight words phonetically:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html

I've taught so many remedial students harmed by sight words that I'm not a big fan of anything that uses a lot of them.