Menu

K - which one do I want... Prima Latin or Lively Latin for 3rd and 1st graders?

Mom to 3+1

Important to note: I am a little scared of Latin and totally uneducated on the subject. I like things really spelled out and clear to follow. I will also need lots of support in the correct pronunciations. Please help! Laura

BTW - thanks to eveyone who responed to my earlier question about WHY Latin, I needed your support and information for all the "doubters" in my life :)

It addresses the pronunciation with a cd. It is SIMPLE to follow! While it isn't scripted per se, you just read what the page says. A friend of mine bought the dvd's and said it was pointless. You just read it aloud to your children, do some drill in vocabulary, have the student either independently answer the questions or you ask them and walk them through, depending on age and confidence. The cd works great for both you and your child and they say to listen to the cd at some point in each lesson. My dd now does the lesson on her own.

I sounded like you before I bought it. My dd9 loves to do Latin and knows it better than I do. That being said, I've never looked at any other program. After I saw it in action, I bought it and haven't had a reason to look back.

HTH!

I don't know anything about PL, but I'd say that the child has to be reading to do Lively Latin. Writing isn't as big a deal --work can be done orally; the child will get enough writing later -- and the parent can certainly read the history pages aloud. LL includes audio files with both Classical and Ecclesiastical pronunciations.

My youngest is 2nd grade and we have to help her, wait on her, etc. However, she is really learning but I think you might find it frustrating at your dc's ages.

The history is really interesting and I would make sure they are old enough to do the map work, coloring, etc. that makes it all worthwhile. If you plan on doing it orally and do the map work "closely" with them, it might work out OK.

However, I wish my 2nd grader could keep up a little better, but this was just the best time for us to start. I'm not sure I would want her to be any younger.

i've decided (pretty sure i've decided :tongue_smilie:) that we're going with Song School Latin (by classical academic press, the people who do latin for children). depending on other skill areas, we'll either go into lively latin or latin for chidlren after that...

hope that helps!

i've decided (pretty sure i've decided :tongue_smilie:) that we're going with Song School Latin (by classical academic press, the people who do latin for children). depending on other skill areas, we'll either go into lively latin or latin for chidlren after that...

hope that helps!

:iagree: I too will be starting latin with my 3rd and 1st graders next year, and we are going with Song School Latin as well. Right now the plan is to go to Lively Latin the following year, but that could change. :001_smile:

Wow, there a bunch of us that will have both 1st and 3rd graders next year. Add me to the mix! :)

Latin wasn't on my radar until very recently, but I've decided that we are going to begin Latin next year. I am probably just going to work on it formally with my 3rd grader, but I know all too well that my 1st grader will be lurking and listening in.

I have no idea which program we will use yet, so I'm going to follow this thread with great interest.

I will also have a 3rd grader and 1st grader next year :001_smile:I am not really including my 1st grader in my planning though, because she still needs a lot of work in learning to read.

So that leaves me trying to pick a program for my 3rd grader. I don't really even know how to evaluate the programs though because I know nothing about Latin.

For those of you that have made recommendations, would your answer be any different if it were only for a 3rd grader?

then for the 3rd graders. That having been said, he likes to do everything they can and is quickly catching up in both math and reading - so including him in Latin is reasonable. I think that Prima Latin looks like a gentler start, Lively Latin looks more fun and all encompassing, so getting my youngest a little older will probably help. I have not looked in the Sing a Song (hope I got the title right), but I will look into that as well. Thanks for the thoughts. Laura

My son (8yo) is going to be in third grade next fall. I have completed Minimus with him and am starting Minimus Secundus tomorrow. Next fall we are going to start Lingua Latina. It looks daunting, but I am very excited about it. I have gotten the materials and am reading them on my own now (I can never prepare too early--it takes me ages to get comfortable with a curriculum).

This year (second grade) has been his first year of Latin.

My daughter (5yo) will start kindergarten in the fall, but I will probably not start Latin with her until second grade.

valete,