Menu

OT: Going to Albuquerque...need field trip ideas, lol.

We will have the chance to visit Albuquerue for 7 to 10 days with my DH on his business trip. I've done some looking online and find we will probably go to:

Aquarium, Zoo & Botanical Gardens (is this much do-able on their one day pass?)

Natural History Museum

Rattlesnake Museum (ewww, but kids want to)

Are there any other "can't miss" places we should go...or even "this is worth the time" places? We're studying Egypt, but other than the Natural History Museum I couldn't find anything else. How about a really cool art museum?

Kids are between 6 and 11 years old, if that helps you choose ideas for us.

How about some "must eat" places? Guys at DH's work have recommended Rudy's BBQ, but the other places they recommended are sports bars so, no thanks, lol. Is Rudy's BBQ good? Kid appropriate?

Help me make this a great week for us! Please and thank you!

We were in ABQ for 1/2 day on a long road trip. The only place we visited was the Explora Children's Museum and my kids loved it. We ended up staying several hours longer than we planned because we had such a great time and we would have spent an entire day if our schedule had allowed.

Native Albuquerquean, here. :o) There is an index of places to visit in Albuquerque at this web page: http://www.cabq.gov/visiting.html You can poke around yourselves, but here are some tips:

It's easy to do the Aquarium and the Botanical Garden the same day because they're located in the same place (just opposite sides of a shared courtyard. Try to be in the Aquarium at 2:00, 'cause that's when they feed the rays. There are sharks in the tank too, but they don't eat the ray's food. They are fed early in the morning, before hours.

The Rio Grande Zoo is easily an all day trip, but it's a wonderful zoo. We were just there yesterday! The habitats are very nice. Our male lion died last year (sad), but there's still a female. There is a baby chimpanzee who was just born last year around this time. She's adorable.

There is a train that will take you from the zoo to the Aquarium/Botanical garden (and back). If you want to try to see it all in one day, ask about the train when you enter the park (either one). They have a combo pass that includes the train, but I think you have to pay for it up front.

http://www.cabq.gov/biopark/

There is a Dynamax theatre and a planetarium in the Natural History Museum. There's a T-rex skeleton, and other dinosaurs as well. I think they're currently showing a dinosaur movie in the Dynamax theatre.

Right across the street from the Natural History Museum (http://www.nmnaturalhistory.org/) is the Explora! Science/Children's Center (http://www.explora.us/ExploraPHP/english/index.php). It's fun. Then, across the street from both of those museums is the Albuquerque Museum of History and Art (http://www.cabq.gov/museum/). It's fun. We were just there last month for a traveling exhibit of Ancient Egypt! Alas, I just checked, and the exhibit has moved on. It's still a very nice museum, though. Half of it is local history, and the other half is art, some local/regional, some not.

Oh yeah. Next to the Explora Center is the Atomic Museum, showing the development of the atomic bombs used in WWII. I haven't been there since I was a kid, but some people like WWII history.

Adjacent to the museums is Old Town Albuquerque, one of the oldest neighborhoods in the United States. Some of the buildings date from around 1700. There are Native Americans selling their pottery and silver jewelry on the sidewalks. There are countless art galleries and trading post type stores. It's fun to just walk around there for a couple hours.

On the west side of Alb. is the Petroglyph National Monument, a preserve for ancient petroglyphs, carved on rocks by ancient pueblo people. http://www.nps.gov/petr/

On the other side of town, you can ride an aerial tram up the cliffs of the Sandia Mountains. The Sandia Peak Tramway is one of the longest trams in the world. It's a fun ride up, with a great view at the top (bring coats -- it's still quite cold up there) from 10,000 feet elevation. (http://sandiapeak.com/) If the ticket prices are too steep for your family, you can drive up the back side of the mountain. Call in advance, though, to find out about road conditions. There's still snow up there (I don't know when you're coming).

There is a Balloon Museum at the International Balloon Fiesta grounds on the north side of Alb. Albuquerque is the host to the largest hot air balloon gathering every year in October. If your family wants to learn about hot air (and helium) ballooning, it is an interesting visit. http://www.cabq.gov/balloon/

There are some awesome day-trips you could take from Albuquerque. Bandalier National Monument and Park is awesome, but might be chilly. They have preserved ancient cliff dwellings (also Ancient Pueblo People). Some of the dwellings are easily accessible, but some can only be reached by tall ladders. It's very cool. They have a Young Ranger program. http://www.nps.gov/band/

El Morro National Monument is also a great trip. It's a huge rock that sticks out of the ground. It's made of sandstone, so is easily carved. There are inscriptions from the earliest Spanish explorers/conquerers in the 1600s. There are other inscriptions by Union cavalry soldiers/officers. The hike around the rock, and up to the top (more ancient pueblo ruins) was easy enough for our 2 year old (we went last fall), but fun for all. Call ahead, though, to check on the weather. You might need coats. There is a Young Ranger program here, too. http://www.nps.gov/elmo/

Of course, there's always Santa Fe. It's only an hour away. There's some great shopping, and some buildings even older than the ones in Albuquerque's Old Town. But, parking is kind of a bear, and I don't think it's as well suited for kids.

Restaurants

I'm not sure what restaurants to recommend because I'm not sure what you like. To be honest, I've never heard of Rudy's BBQ. I love BBQ, so I'll look for it. If you like BBQ, there are a couple I know are good. Quarter's BBQ is very good. So is Mr. Powdrells. I think there are at least two locations of each of these. There are some awesome New Mexican food places. My favorite is Little Anitas (http://www.littleanitas.com/index.html). There's one located just blocks from the museums at Old Town walking distance). There are 8 other locations throughout the Alb. area.

There are other New Mexican restaurants, too. Do you like hot chile? If you like it hot, look for small, mom-and-pop type places. If you like it milder, look for larger chains. Let me know where you're staying, and how hot you like your food, and I'll direct you. All of them will let you have your chile "on the side", or leave it off, so you and your kids don't have to eat it hot if you don't like it.

For pizza, I'd recommend Dion's. (http://www.dionspizza.com/main.htm) Their pizza is delicious, and their sandwiches are wonderful. They don't deliver, but you can call in advance and order to eat in or take out. The kids like to stand on the special platform and watch them make the pizzas (throwing dough and everything). They have clean dining rooms. There are several locations throughout Alb.

We have most of the major chain restaurants, too.

I can't think of anything else right now, but let me know if you have any questions. You can e-mail me directly by clicking on my name. When are you planning on coming? The weather is just starting to warm up, and it's been beautiful this week (last week was very windy). The trees are budding, and the sky is clear. I love this time of year. I hope you have a wonderful time here.

We have a lot of family in Albuquerque. One of our favorite road trips is to Santa Fe, where they have a fabulous children's museum, restaurants, and parks. We like to picnic at Jemez Springs. In Albuquerque there are so many things to do. We love the Aquarium. It is small but one of the best in the country. Have fun - Albuquerque is a blast.

I grew up in Abq, and have taken the kids to visit a few times while my mom was still there. I only have a couple of recommendations I'd add to Suzanne's excellent list:

The UNM campus is fun to visit and has 2 interesting museums. The first is the Maxwell museum in the Dept of Anthropology on the west end of campus and the other is the small museum in the Geology department that has all kinds of cool rocks and meteorites. I grew up next to the campus, and attended there for 3 years before I moved away, so it may be I like it simply due to nostalgia! The Frontier Restaurant on Central Ave is a popular hang out for college students, and they have the most wicked cinnamon rolls on earth!

The Indian Pueblo Cultural Center is also interesting, and they sometimes have Indian dances and other presentations.

The rattlesnake museum didn't disturb me too much -- I actually found myself fascinated at all the different kinds of rattlers in the Western hemisphere!

Have fun!

We lived in Albuquerque for four years. I second the Frontier Restaurant since that the one my kids still mention over six years later.

Another great attraction is the Rio Grande Nature Center and bosque preserve. It explains the area naturally very well and there are great trails in the bosque. (The bosque is the heavily treed area near the river in a desert zone).

Adjacent to the museums is Old Town Albuquerque, one of the oldest neighborhoods in the United States. Some of the buildings date from around 1700. There are Native Americans selling their pottery and silver jewelry on the sidewalks. There are countless art galleries and trading post type stores. It's fun to just walk around there for a couple hours.

On the west side of Alb. is the Petroglyph National Monument, a preserve for ancient petroglyphs, carved on rocks by ancient pueblo people. http://www.nps.gov/petr/

On the other side of town, you can ride an aerial tram up the cliffs of the Sandia Mountains. The Sandia Peak Tramway is one of the longest trams in the world. It's a fun ride up, with a great view at the top (bring coats -- it's still quite cold up there) from 10,000 feet elevation. (http://sandiapeak.com/) If the ticket prices are too steep for your family, you can drive up the back side of the mountain. Call in advance, though, to find out about road conditions. There's still snow up there (I don't know when you're coming).

We had 1 1/2 days in Albuquerque. We did the Petroglyph National Monument. This was REALLY cool. There are a ton of messages telling you to watch out for rattlesnakes. My kids thought that was awesome! You also can climb an inactive volcano here. (Right? I think this was here.)

We also spent a lot of time in Old Town. It is gorgeous!

I had wanted to do the tram, but we ran out of time.

We were there when there was a really bad fire (in the state park maybe?). Anyway, we got to see the helecopters taking water from the Rio Grande River and dump it on the flames. (We could see the smoke from the Petroglyphs.)

Oh my goodness, thank you everyone for the great suggestions and the ideas...and Suzanne, my heavens, you should be working for the Tourism Department!

We will be there from April 2 for at least a week, maybe longer depending on how DH's project goes. I think we're staying at either TownePlace Suites (near Kirkland?) or the Candlewood Suites on Menaul. My DH's work makes the reservations but those are the two he mentioned (and I checked out,lol).

We do like Mexican food....hot peppers, eh, maybe closer to medium than hot, but definitely not needing "mild". I looked at the like to Anita's and it sound great, we'll definitely have to try it.

Rudy's is on Menaul and Carlisle. Their website is rudys.com They have a powdered rub for your meats that is so good the guys at DH's work bring it back by the case, also the sauce.

Thanks again everyone! Now to try to figure out how to fit it all into a week long visit!

Have a great trip, Connie! I can't add anything to the information that others (especially Suzanne!) have given, but I just wanted to mention how much we looove New Mexican food. It certainly has some similarities to Mexican and TexMex, but it's truly a cuisine all its own. Dh grew up in NM and we get back to see his family with some regularity. We always make them crazy by insisting we only want to eat NM food (and gorge ourselves on it) the whole time 'cause it just can't be gotten anywhere else.

Oh, man, I want some right now!!! :)

Sorry it took me so long to get back. And, I'm happy my tips might prove useful. It wasn't hard to compile. I just went to that index page that I linked, and went down the list. :)

I forgot to mention the Frontier restaurant. It's my dh's favorite. The food is wonderful, and the atmosphere can't be duplicated. The parking is a problem. You need to either park blocks away and walk, or park in the alley and walk past several smelly garbage dumpsters. :P It's worth it either way, usually, but you may not want to do it at night.

Again, if you need help while you're here, just e-mail me by clicking on my name. We'll be around that week.

Suzanne

We live in the mountains east of Albuquerque; my son plays hockey at the Outpost--they have a "cool loop" skating rink that lets you skate around in circles between two rinks--pretty fun. His favorites (he's 13)--snowboarding at Sandia, skating, the bosque, skating, watching the Lobos and the Isotopes play baseball (a really nice minor league park), skating...the tram is fun; the restaurant at the top is very expensive. Our favorite places to eat: Flying Star (coffeehouse), Wild Noodles, and the Tomato Cafe (pizza buffet).

Go to Bernalillo and go the Coronado Monument; also check out the Pueblo Cultural Center--drive out of town to Acoma and climb down from the mesa the way the original Pueblo people did...go up to Santa Fe...and drive the back way to Taos...and, if you have time, check out Los Alamos and the atomic museum.

And Monroes always has good chile, as does Garcia's Kitchen (many locations all over town). We should be in town--my son has a baseball tournament in Las Cruces, but that's the last weekend in August...and he doesn't go to hockey PDC Select Camp until the end of April...busy, busy, busy. Feel free to email me privately...

Native Albuquerquean, here. :o) Oh yeah. Next to the Explora Center is the Atomic Museum, showing the development of the atomic bombs used in WWII. I haven't been there since I was a kid, but some people like WWII history.

These are the things we did -- Atomic Museum, Old Town (the Catholic church there was celebrating their 200th?? anniversary with a festival, food, music, dancing - it was a fabulous "stumble-on" find), the petroglyphs, and Sandia Peak tram. Enjoyed them all, although there was a nasty lightning storm on the Peak while we were up there.

What a beautiful city Albq is!