Menu

Is ETC considered LA, or just phonics??

diaperjoys

I've been under the impression that it is pretty comprehensive. It seems to have a good mix of reading comprehension, spelling, writing and sentence structure though out the series. We do the wholes and the halves and are just finishing up #3. Some books have more sentence structure than others.

My K'er is using ETC book 1. Eventually I want him to join his brother in CLE LA. But I'm not sure how far I should have him go before making the switch.

And that's why I don't like using the term "language arts." No one knows what it really means.:glare:

Phonics is a subset of "language arts." So are grammar, spelling/vocabulary, reading/literature (which is not the same as teaching a child to read), composition, and even penmanship.

I think you should have your little one go as far as he can in ETC. I believe it's better phonics instruction than CLE. When he's 6, have him take CLE's placement test and go from there.

My K'er is using ETC book 1. Eventually I want him to join his brother in CLE LA. But I'm not sure how far I should have him go before making the switch.

ETC is phonics/spelling. You will still want to do literature of some sort with it (reading aloud to him,) but I don't start grammar that young, so it is pretty much all you need for "language arts" at that age. If you want to add some reading comprehension, you can do the Beyond the Code books (do the corresponding book when you have finished the ETC level.)

Like Ellie, I say go as far as you can in ETC.

ETC is phonics/spelling.

So far, it is only acting as spelling in our house! :confused: My daughter can not read, can not sound out words, but can spell any 3 letter word you say out loud. It's like her brain's a one way street for now. Eventually, it'll all click in and she'll be a two way street, I hope. (We're in the middle of Book 2 electronic version). We are switching to paper for Book 3, as she can write well now.

The teacher's guide (which we usually don't use) has things like reading fluency in it, so if you're only using the workbooks, it may be worth checking out the TG.

Also there's a Beyond the Code series for reading comprehension (no TG, alas), which we find fits well after ETC 3.