Menu

Disney Questions

Hi! We have been blessed with an opportunity to travel to Orlando in March. While not usually easily overwhelmed, I am finding that I am pretty much in awe of all that there is to do and Disney and how much people put into planning it as a vacation. I hope my lack of knowledge doesn't prevent us from having a good time!

I would appreciate a little input from someone familiar with the area. We have a ds6 and a dd8. Do these sound like good choices for us?

Yak and Yeti

Captain's Grille at Yacht Club Resort

Sci Fi Dine In Theater

San Angel Inn

Coral Reef at Epcot

Tony's Town Square at MK

Fairytale ? at MK

It looks like a cheaper option than just going day by day and seeing what we can find, which surprised me.

Last question, do we have to be visiting the parks to go to the restaurants in that park? We haven't decided which parks we are buying passes to yet.

Thanks so much!

Hi! We have been blessed with an opportunity to travel to Orlando in March. While not usually easily overwhelmed, I am finding that I am pretty much in awe of all that there is to do and Disney and how much people put into planning it as a vacation. I hope my lack of knowledge doesn't prevent us from having a good time!

I would appreciate a little input from someone familiar with the area. We have a ds6 and a dd8. Do these sound like good choices for us?

Yak and Yeti

Captain's Grille at Yacht Club Resort

Sci Fi Dine In Theater

San Angel Inn

Coral Reef at Epcot

Tony's Town Square at MK

Fairytale ? at MK

It looks like a cheaper option than just going day by day and seeing what we can find, which surprised me.

Last question, do we have to be visiting the parks to go to the restaurants in that park? We haven't decided which parks we are buying passes to yet.

Thanks so much!

Yes, you do have to have a pass to the park in order to eat at a restaurant in the park.

Food is not the focus of our Disney trips, so I don't have much advice. We stay offsite and mostly use counter service.

Get, read, and follow the plans in The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2010. The unofficial guides are excellent.

Where to Stay

It will give a review, price range, pros/cons of all of the main places to stay.

Rides

It will give you a review of all of the rides including the scare factor.

Where to eat

It will review all of the dining options inside the park...what they serve, the price range, shows they hold, and when the best time to go.

Shows/Parades

Reviews of the shows and parades, including what time they are at, the best time to go, and where to stand/sit for the best view.

Itineraries

They have several plans on how to get the most out of your time and party type. They have itineraries for adults with no children, adults with older children, adults with young children, 1 day, 2 day, 5 day, etc. They will read like go here, get a fast pass, go left and ride that ride, from the exit turn right and ride that ride, then turn left from the exit and use the fast pass for the first ride...

I grew up within a mile of Disneyland and went all the time. BY FAR, the best trip I've ever had at Disneyland was the most recent when I used the guide's itinerary. We went for two days. The first day we saw so much and never waited more than 15 minutes in line. The second day, DH wanted to wing it and we only got on three rides, I think. We spent the whole day in lines! I'll never go to a major amusement park without it again.

ETA: They have other guides as well. Like Beyond Disney: The Unofficial Guide to Universal Orlando, Sea World, and the Best of Central Florida.

Edited by joannqn

First off, that's awesome that you are going! :001_smile: We went in 2008, and the planning was definately overwhelming to me. :lol: Looking back, I'm totally glad I approached it as the geek that I am and took the time to "figure things out." We would have had fun no matter what, but a few hours planning ahead really helped everything to run smoothly. I'm by no means an expert in Disney planning, but I can't see it being too busy in March....that's a good thing! :001_smile:

My first suggestion is to check out Walt Disney World with Kids if your library has it. Many, many helpful suggestions.

You can also go to the DisBoards for answers to questions, packing lists, advice from people that have gone bunches of times, etc. HOWEVER - it is really easy to get sucked in on the DisBoards and feel that you must create the.most.magical.experience.ever! You do not need to print out 1000 itty bitty Cinderella-themed gum wrappers, cover them mod-podge and glitter, and pay out the mouse ears for someone made of fairy dust to arrange them in an authentic Cinderella's pumpkin carriage mosaic on your daughter's bed upon your arrival. You could. But fight the urge! I never had the urge to do such things until I stumbled upon the DisBoards. :lol: My kiddos (and hubby and myself) all had the best time ever and not an ounce of mod-podge was used. ;)

Are you doing a meal package? That was awesome when we did it.

Breathe! :D You're doing to have a great time!!!! :D

I know how you feel. We just did Disney in Nov (as part of a homeschool program!) and I was glad my friend did all the planning because I was just completely overwhelmed with it all!

I did want to say though that we ate at the Coral Reef and the Sci-Fi Diner while we were there. The Coral Reef was nice and the food was amazing but it was expensive. I think we ended up paying around $140 for 3 of us (dh, dd and myself). It was my birthday so I had a couple of cocktails, but still - that's a lot! The kids did love sitting in front of the giant aquarium though.

The Sci-Fi Diner was a huge hit with the kids (5 & 6). the food was good and the prices were very reasonable. I would definitely reccommend it.

That's about as helpful as I can be as we did counter service the rest of the time.

Have fun!

Hi, we just returned from a trip to Disney in December...a trip I spent almost one year planning. One important thing to note is that many of those table service restaurants you listed require advanced dining reservations. You can make those online or call the dining line. If you really want to eat at a certain restaurant, I strongly encourage you to make those ADRs. Yes, you have to be in those parks (by purchasing tickets) to eat there.

We did not eat at the specific choices you mentioned, but many of those are very popular places that have good reviews. Check out the restaurant section of the DISboards, you can find lots of info there. It's a huge message board about Disney.

Places we ate and thoroughly enjoyed were Ohana at the Polynesian, Le Cellier steakhouse in Epcot, the lunch in Cinderella's Castle in MK, and 50s Primetime Cafe in HS. We also really enjoyed Cosmic Ray's in MK for counter service. Another great and inexpensive place is the Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney.

Good luck with your planning! I know it is overwhelming, but you won't regret putting some time into the research for your trip.

Of the ones that you have listed, Sci Fi would probably be the most fun for the kids.....you are seated inside old-time car replicas (2 people per row, so with your kids ages it'd likely mean you and DH won't sit together as you'll each sit with a kid...or you and DH could sit in the middle seat and the kids in the front if they don't need your help) There is a full size movie screen playing a 1 hour loop of various sci-fi short movies, commercials, etc. Kids normally find the campy old time movies to be hilarious...and parents get nostalgic about it, lol. Burgers and Shakes are their speciality and delicious.

Cinderella's Royal Table in the castle (Magic Kingdom) is very difficult to get reservations for....you literally have to call 6 months in advance and early in the morning. Or you keep calling hoping for a cancellation. But, it's a wonderful, albiet expensive, meal....breakfast and lunch are character meals with Princesses coming to the table to sign autographs and you can take photos....dinner has a short "show" with Fairy Godmother and the mice but they don't stop and do autographs. Any of the meals include a professional photo with Cinderella taken in the Lobby before you go upstair to be seated. If your kids aren't really into Princesses, this is probably one I'd skip since it's so expensive and difficult to get, and your kids are pretty young. If you had older kid that would appreciate the ambiance, then a late dinner is absolutely awesome if you can time it so that you are eating when the fireworks go off right outside the window!

Coral Reef is at EPCOT and is a bit more elegant dining....and has a floor to ceiling aquarium that has lots of fish types swimming around but also quite regularly there are people swimming as well. Food is excellent and atmosphere is very exciting for kids to watch the aquarium as the eat.

A few that you didn't mention, but I'd like to suggest based on your kids' age:

Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom: THe characters from Winnie the Pooh come around while you eat for photos and autographs....every 20 minutes or so the characters will lead the kids (big or little) on a parade through the 100 acre wood (i.e. around the restaurant). Truly exciting is to make a breakfast reservation for before the park opens....they will let you enter the park to walk down Main Street when it's practically empty (only those with early reservations for this or Cinderella's are in the park). Food is pretty standard buffet.

50's Prime Time Cafe at Hollywood Studios....you sit at old time booths with a black and white TV playing 50's shows (I love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, etc). The waitress calls herself your cousin (or mom or aunt) and the interaction can often be quite fun and hilarious. Definitely want to put your elbows on the table so "mom" can tell you to get 'em off the table....leave some veggies on your plate and "mom" will tell you no dessert, etc. My daughter spilled a little of her shake on the table (it was very full!) and "mom" made her get up and get a rag to clean it up. The waitress won't "pick on you" if you're shy, they're really good about figuring out who wants to play and who doesn't....we love the interaction.

Garden Grill at EPCOT...Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale will come around to your tables....the veggies served are actually grown at EPCOT (Land of the Living ride shows you where)....and the fun part is that the resturant rotates slowly to show you different parts of the Land. Very fun, very fresh delicious food.

If your kids are into Jo Jo or Little Einsteins, then Hollywood and Vine for Breakfast or Lunch (Hollywood Studios) is a character meal.

If you don't have a Rainforest Cafe in your hometown...then I highly recommend it. Downtown Disney has Rainforest Cafe pus it also has the sister restaurant R-Rex (themed in Dinos of course). There is also a Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom. Heavy theming, great food but very very loud both from the other guests and the theme animals making noise. But kids love it.

You mentioned Yak and Yeti....they have both a sit down restaurant and a counter service (think fast food type). The food is decent at either, but it's not really all that special unless your hometown doesn't have Asian restaurants. It's Americanized Chinese, that's about it.

Captain's Grille is good food, but not much special there for the kids. Good steaks though.

Tony's Town Square is themed to be the restaurant from 101 dalmations and there is of course lots of memorablia to match the movie....but if your kids aren't really into the movie most of it will mean nothing to them, and then it's just an Italian restaurant with lots of stuff on the walls.

San Angel is in Mexico in EPCOT....it's one of those restaurant where you either love the Mexican food they serve, or you hate it...very little in between. My family is the "hate it"....Taco Bell is better.

You can go here: http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm and see the menus for each restaurant so you can determine if there is food your little ones will like (great for picky eaters!)

With the exception of Rainforest Cafe (both the Downtown Disney and Animal Kingdom which has a separate entrance) and T-Rex, all of the resturants above do require that you have admission to the park. If you aren't planning on paying the extra for the hopper tickets (something I rarely recommend with little kids as the getting from one park to another is time consuming...the main exception is if you will be at Disney for less than 4 days, then the hopper gives you the chance to visit all 4 parks and hit the highlights only) be sure that you will be visiting the park where the restaurant is located that day.

There is a LOT to know to make a "perfect" Disney vacation, but unless this is going to be the once in a lifetime shot at it....then you can do only as much planning as you really want to do. If it's a once in a lifetime, then you want to be sure to plan so that you don't miss anything that would have been great for your family!

We live clear across the country, but still manage to go to WDW constantly....we did 71 days in 2009...and we're going in less than 2 weeks, lol. So, if you have any questions....PM me. My husband calls me the planning queen.....many friends have asked for my help too. I love Disney!

You can do reservations up to 6 months in advance...since your trip is less than that already, you should consider trying to make them very soon. You can do it online: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/ or you can call 407-WDW-DINE (407-939-3463).

Edited by ConnieB

We just went to Disney on my son's Make-A-Wish trip. It was an incredible time! Tthe Unofficial Guide is definitely a good thing to read. We had front of the line priveleges with Make-A-Wish, so I don't know lots about the touring plans in it, but the rest of the information was so helpful.

If you are going to do breakfast at the parks, get early ADRs and you can enter the park before it is open. We did this our first day at Magic Kingdom so we could see Main Street and get pictures in front of the castle with no crowds.

My children are 6, 8, and 11. My only boy is the youngest. We spent two days at Magic Kingdom, one at Disney Hollywood, half a day at Animal Kingdom, a day at Universal, and a day at Seaworld.

If your children enjoy meeting character, consider character meals. That way you know you will see the characters and not have to stand in line for them. We did breakfast at the Crystal Palace with Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, and Eeyore. It was a great way to start our trip. The kids all enjoyed the parade with the characters around the restaraunt. The food is a buffet of good enough quality with plenty of variety. We had lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table with all the princesses. This was lots of fun! It was so pretty in the castle, and my 8 year old dd's face was filled with joy. My son got a sword and the girls got wands. They all took home wishing stars. The food was good, and the servings were large. Their sorbet was a great dessert. We also did breakfast at Ohana with Lilo and Stitch. Pluto and Mickey are there too. They serve breakfast family style there, bringing platters of food to your table. They refill anything you ask for. The juice they served was excellent. They service was fast and efficient. From there we caught a ferry to the Magic Kingdom.

We also dined at the Sci-Fi Drive In theater. The food was nothing spectacular, but it satisfied everyone. The environment was a lot of fun! They gave the kids a license. We got special drinks with clip-on light up Tinkerbelles and Cars.

At Disney Hollywood, my kids played and played at the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids set. They busted up laughing in the Muppets in 4-D. The Star Wars attraction was a hit we had to do twice. My son got to participate in the Jedi Training Academy. They hold this a few times a day next to the Star Wars attraction. Since it was his Wish trip, they just took my son's name and told us to show up for the training. They said people start to line up for it about an hour before the training because there is a limited number of spots.

Image0147.jpg

Image0138.jpg

The Toy Story Ride was fantastic. I think we could have spent a lot more time here, but there was a party at Give Kids the World where Make-A-Wish families stay that we didn't want to miss.

There was too much to describe at Magic Kingdom. We did nearly every attraction, some of them two or three times! We particularly enjoyed the Buzz Lightyear ride, all of Fantasyland, and meeting their favorite characters.

Animal Kingdom was one we didn't do much of because my son got too tired. We did see the LIon King show and the parade. We went on the safari.

An easy way to get fun pictures is to buy a photopass CD. There are photographers at all the Disney Parks who will take your pictures. Ask them what special effects they can do. Some can add Tinkerbell, Simba, or balloons in the picture. If you buy the CD you get all the pictures to do as you please with.

Image0024.jpg

I can tell you the highlights from Universal and Seaworld too is you are interested.

I think some planning will make your trip a lot less stressful and you will see what you want to see.

You are so lucky to be going! I would go back in a moment if finances allowed it. Such fond memories!

Can't go wrong with the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom for young kids. :) Have fun and use the fast pass. :)

I second the fast pass suggestion--learn how to use it before you get there!

Can't help much with the restaurants, since though I've been to Disney many times I'm not much of a Disney diner (we pack a lunch to bring into the park, then just do counter service for dinner). I will say that if you have to choose between parks, don't discount EPCOT. Based on your kids' ages and educational background (from your signature ;-), they'd likely love it. It's long been a favorite for all three of mine.

Get, read, and follow the plans in The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2010. The unofficial guides are excellent. ...

... I grew up within a mile of Disneyland and went all the time. BY FAR, the best trip I've ever had at Disneyland was the most recent when I used the guide's itinerary. ...

I'm so glad you posted this question and for the responses! My dh wants to go to DisneyWorld with our family. If we go, this guide sounds like a great book to get.

Here's my blog posts and photos (and brief restaurant reviews) of our last Disney trip (start at the bottom, then scroll back up):

http://beanmommyandthethreebeans.blogspot.com/search/label/Disney%20trip%202009'>http://beanmommyandthethreebeans.blogspot.com/search/label/Disney%20Trip%202009'>http://beanmommyandthethreebeans.blogspot.com/search/label/Disney%20trip%202009'>http://beanmommyandthethreebeans.blogspot.com/search/label/Disney%20Trip%202009

and here's the trip before that:

http://beanmommyandthethreebeans.blogspot.com/search/label/Disney%20trip

I love love "The Unofficial Guide to Disney." Very helpful, very funny, many many reader's comments, so you get the good and the bad for everything.

The only restaurant I've eaten at on your list is Tony's. It's okay, but nothing to rave away. Liberty Tree Tavern at MK is definitely better. I've heard Crystal Palace is good too.

I do remember hearing that the SciFi Diner's food was not very good. And we hated the ABC Commissary at Hollywood Studios.

Make sure you get your dining reservations early. On our last trip, I started calling two months before our trip, and the first five restaurants I requested I could not get, on any day or time.

I love to talk about Disney, so please PM me if you have any questions! :001_smile:

Jenny

Tony's Town Square is themed to be the restaurant from 101 dalmations and there is of course lots of memorablia to match the movie....but if your kids aren't really into the movie most of it will mean nothing to them, and then it's just an Italian restaurant with lots of stuff on the walls.

I think it's Lady and the Tramp, no?

Haven't read all the responses yet, but here is my advice:

The Sci-Fi Dine in theater is really good for kids! You sit in these fiberglass cars and they show old sci fi movie trailers from the 50s and 60s. They serve food that you could have gotten at a drive in.

San Angel Inn-this one is in the Epcot Mexico Pavilion. The food is good, I'm not sure if a kid would like it as much, it is pretty dark in there and lit with candles. When I went a few years ago, it was mainly just adults there, it seemed like a restaurant for people on dates more than anything else.

Tony's Town Square is filling and yummy! Really good Italian food.

I suggest (with many other posters) that you read the Unofficial guide. I think your kids might enjoy a character dinner. There are several all over the parks. I really liked the one in the land pavilion in Epcot, I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it spun around (really slowly so you could look around the pavilion), and it had really good food. Also 1900 park fare in the Grand Floridian hotel was good (The hotel is right near the Magic Kingdom on the monorail line, you don't have to be staying there to eat there.)

Whatever you decide on food-wise, you'll want to make reservations to these places months in advance, they tend to fill up quickly, especially since so many people are using the Disney Dining plans now.

I think it's Lady and the Tramp, no?

Duh...yes, it is....what was I thinking. Dogs....oops, wrong dogs, lol. Yes, it's Lady and the Tramp....and they serve a pretty good spaghetti, though I've yet to see anyone "sharing".

Another couple of resturants that the young crowd like that no one has mentioned....

Chef Mickey at the Contemporary.....it's a large buffet with Mickey Goofy and Chip and Dale or Pluto....ocassionally Minnie, Daisy and Donald have been there too.

1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian....dinner has Cinderella and her Prince which is nice, but the real show stealers are the Stepmother and Step Sisters....they are an absolute hoot! Breakfast is Mary Poppins, Alice and the Mad Hatter and once when we were there Tigger showed up...not quite sure if he's a regular though.

O'hana at the Polynesian has the Stitch characters...food is great, juice is to die for (and we got the recipe so we can make it at home occasionally!). We are not big Stitch fans, so we really enjoyed the dinner at O'hana more....that food is delicious and it's all you can eat served family style (meaning they bring big trays of it to your table and you serve yourself off the tray, asking for refills as needed). Go hungry because you don't want to stop it's so good. THey have a floor show that seems to be different each time we go.....good but not characters. Another great place to view fireworks...either from inside the restaurant or you can go down to the beach if the weather is nice and sit and watch it, they pipe in the music (same thing at Grand Floridan beach)

A really great, but relatively unknown character meal is at the Swan Resort....Garden Grove. Call and verify the days because it seems to change each time we go, but several nights a week they have Rafiki and Timon from Lion King. The food is really good buffet, and it's always been half empty when we go which means you get more time with the characters. We were the only family in there one night for about the first 30 minutes, and we had Timon pull up a seat and kick back. The kids were in seventh heaven!

Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge is very popular with the kids....they do some fun antics, like pony rides around the restaurant, and if you ask for ketchup the waitress shouts out for it and every table that has ketchup is supposed to race their bottle over to your table...silly stuff like that. Just like at 50's Cafe though, you have to do your part to get the interaction going.

Another little known, but good character meal is Cape May at the Beach Club Resort....Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald in beach wear at the breakfast buffet. They also have a clam bake at dinner (no characters), but we've actually never been to that...but it seems to get good reviews.

There are also great restaurants (both sit down and table service) in the various countries of EPCOT. That's actually our favorite place to go hang out. Talking to the Cast Members in each country is a ready made lesson plan...they are happy to tell you all about their country! Before our first trip we studied each country and learned how to say hello and a couple of other phrases for each country....the smiles on the Cast Members' faces even when we mangled it was so big....they were just tickled that we'd tried!

Oh just thinking about all the fun, makes me anxious to get going on our next trip!

Would a 1.5 to 2 year old have fun? We want to take dd before we move out of Georgia, cheaper for us because we don't need to buy plane tickets and the website says under 3 is free.

I would think that would depend on the child.....most that are that young are pretty just along for the ride, and I've often wondered how much of that they actually remember. Yet there are a LOT of them in the park so other parents obviously think they are getting something out of it.

Some of the reasons I personally wouldn't take kids that young (unless they had older sibilings):

They won't remember much, except through the photos, so kinda like the first birthday party cake, it's more for the parents than for the kids.

Mickey Mouse is a cute character in a book, a movie or as a stuffed animal.....however at the park he's about 6 foot tall. I've seen so many terrified toddlers! If you have a fearless child, the photos are absolutely adorable....but like with Santa, a screaming kid just isn't my idea of a photo op!

Most of the rides that the adults are likely going to want to do are not going to be toddler appropriate. Many have minimum height requirements. Most of the rides appropriate for toddlers is going to be in Fantasyland in Magic Kingdom or Toontown. Now, there is something called "Kid Swap"....where both parents and the child/children stand in line but when you get up to the front of the line you let them know that the child/children aren't riding....they'll let one parent ride and then when that parent comes back, they take the child while the other parent rides...no standing in line again so the other parent can ride. This is especially cool if you have one child old enough to ride and one too young....Dad rides with kid while mom holds baby....then Mom rides with kid while Dad holds baby....so kid gets to ride twice! Lucky Kid!

Obviously every family will have their own opinion of whether it's worth going "while they're free". My feeling was that THEY may be free, but Mom and Dad aren't, so I'm paying hundreds of dollars for Mom and Dad to not be able to really "do" Disney.....all the sights and sounds usually wear out the kids quicker than at home, so your day is cut short by having to return to the room for a good nap so you don't have a cranky kid. Most kids can sleep in the stroller, but then you can't even do the kid swap because strollers aren't allowed in the lines. I figure it's worth saving those hundreds of dollars that you'd spend for Mom and Dad to have a half trip and use those later to pay for a slighly older child. Personally, I find 7 and older to be perfect.....until they hit 10 they go for the kid price, which is about half the adult ticket price and if you use the dining plan REALLY cheap (about $10 a day for 1 sit down, 1 counter and 1 snack per kid per day, adults are around $40/day for same). They're old enough to remember a lot of it....and to be able to help in the planning so they get excited about it. Their enthusiasm is real...they aren't yet jaded, lol, though my teen still squeals when she see Mickey!

Maybe the best question to ask youself is whether your toddler has gone to other amusement parks that weren't geared specifically for their age and enjoyed it. Or have you avoided those in the nearby town because "they're too young". Or taken them and wondered why, lol. That is probably the only measurement you'll have available....but remember that Disney is basically 10x the size and stimulation as any other amusement park in the country. Can your kid handle it?

If you do decide to go, definitely get Birnbaum's Disney for Kids....as it will help you decide ahead of time which rides and shows are right for which age group. And they list all the little play/rest areas, not to mention things like changing station locations, etc.

Edited by ConnieB

Wow! Thanks for the comments and good information. I just need to make the reservations and recognize that more than likely we will have fun with it. I think the interactive type restaurants sound pretty fun and unusual, so we will probably try a couple of those.

It will be interesting!

Thanks again for the comments!

Would a 1.5 to 2 year old have fun? We want to take dd before we move out of Georgia, cheaper for us because we don't need to buy plane tickets and the website says under 3 is free.

There are plenty of gentle rides you can take youngins like yours on in the Magic Kingdom, plus they can see Mickey's house in Toon Town and participate in the parades (if they wish). Just make sure you bring a stroller (or rent one of the Disney ones) because there's no way they can walk it all. :) Have fun. :)

There are plenty of gentle rides you can take youngins like yours on in the Magic Kingdom, plus they can see Mickey's house in Toon Town and participate in the parades (if they wish). Just make sure you bring a stroller (or rent one of the Disney ones) because there's no way they can walk it all. :) Have fun. :)

Best to bring your own....Disney charges $15 a day for a single, $31 a day for a double stroller. (If you pay up front for your "length of stay" it dops to $13 a day single; $27 a day double...you get a receipt at the first park where you pay for your whole stay and just show that receipt at each park to get a stroller. If you park hop, you can show your receipt for daily or length of stay and get another stroller for the next park. You cannot take the strollers outside the park, even when baby is fast asleep in them.)

One big hint....whether you bring your own or rent one....bring along something distinctive to tie onto your stroller....when you leave your stroller in the designated area to get in line for a ride/show....the Cast Members are constantly moving the strollers around to make room as people come and go...so when you come out your stroller won't be where you left it. And those Disney rentals all look alike! They do give you a name tag, but even those all look alike from a distance.

Supposedly for $15 you get an itinerary to print out of the best times to visit which rides as they've determined the lines/patterns of visitors for different times of the year. Saves oodles of time standing in line. Have not used it though!

http://www.ridemax.com/?gclid=CJfE8tmylJ8CFc5L5QodPg9ZJA

Jeanne

Wow, I've never heard of that one. But I would think that the Fast Pass would kind of make it a moot point though, no? I mean, you can just return to the ride at the time on your ticket so you wouldn't need to stand in the long lines anyway, or is there more to it than that? Thanks. :)

Wow, I've never heard of that one. But I would think that the Fast Pass would kind of make it a moot point though, no? I mean, you can just return to the ride at the time on your ticket so you wouldn't need to stand in the long lines anyway, or is there more to it than that? Thanks. :)

But you're only allowed to have one (or maybe two?) Fast Passes at a time. And Fast Pass requires you to walk to the attraction twice: once to get the pass and once to ride the ride.

We use the Unofficial Guide's touring plans, and they are so effective that we rarely use Fast Pass.

But you're only allowed to have one (or maybe two?) Fast Passes at a time. And Fast Pass requires you to walk to the attraction twice: once to get the pass and once to ride the ride.

We use the Unofficial Guide's touring plans, and they are so effective that we rarely use Fast Pass.

Gotcha. That makes sense. :)

We've never used Ridemax, but I love TourGuideMike.com. He owns a Disney Touring company and gives all his tips and tricks. He tells you which day to go to which parks, (you want the least crowded ones!) and how to tour w/no lines. We used it last year and only waited on one short line during our entire trip. It's $22 for a subscription and well worth it. There is also a very active forum where Disney veterans answer any questions you may have about anything. We are planning our second trip (next month) with TourGuide Mike. You can check out the site and see what kinds of information he provides before you purchase.

Re: meals. We schedule which parks we are going to be at each day and then figure out where to eat based on that. Check allears.net for menus. You don't need to be in a park for any of the resort restaurants and there are many good ones at the resorts, so don't discount those.

My biggest advice is to be in the parks at rope drop. You can tour through lunch and then head back to your hotel for a rest while the parks get busy. Then you can come back for a meal and maybe a fireworks show or more touring.

Enjoy your trip!!

Re: meals. All I can say is to make the reservation. We've gone a couple times and eating without priority seating seating is difficult especially in spring break season. Unless you want counter service which is great too.

I'll second being at the park when it opens. You can always take a nap during the hottest part of the day.

We've never used Ridemax, but I love TourGuideMike.com. He owns a Disney Touring company and gives all his tips and tricks. He tells you which day to go to which parks, (you want the least crowded ones!) and how to tour w/no lines. We used it last year and only waited on one short line during our entire trip. It's $22 for a subscription and well worth it. There is also a very active forum where Disney veterans answer any questions you may have about anything. We are planning our second trip (next month) with TourGuide Mike. You can check out the site and see what kinds of information he provides before you purchase.

Re: meals. We schedule which parks we are going to be at each day and then figure out where to eat based on that. Check allears.net for menus. You don't need to be in a park for any of the resort restaurants and there are many good ones at the resorts, so don't discount those.

My biggest advice is to be in the parks at rope drop. You can tour through lunch and then head back to your hotel for a rest while the parks get busy. Then you can come back for a meal and maybe a fireworks show or more touring.

Enjoy your trip!!

:iagree: I would have typed this exact post. The $22 you spend on TGM will save you so much time and headache. I would use his services over again.

I have a family full of foodies. For the most part, we found all of the food at Disney lacking. There were some bright spots like the Brown Derby at Hollywood Studios, but those were rare. We have decided that on our next trip we will not go in looking for great food, but instead for great experiences.

I