Menu

R & S Grammar - What do you purchase?

KIN

HI, I purchased all of it. I consider R & S to be fairly inexpensive considering some other curriculums so I like to have all of it. We are doing third grade English this year and I must say, I have used the worksheets along with the tests and the teachers manual. I truly love it! Hope this helps.

Terrylee

I have the TM. I like it because there are some scripted teaching tips. There are also answers for the diagramming. (I wish I did not need to admit that I am rusty in this area:blush:) In addition, there are quizzes to give to your child. These are not in the student book. Extra practice sentences are included in the teacher book. For the money, I think it is worth the price.

I have the worksheets. We have done most of them. Some of them I did not have my child do.

If you have any specific questions about the Grade 3 Grammar, I would be happy to answer them.

Joyfully,

Mary

I get it all too. The teacher's manual is helpful to me. Then we are not sharing a book to look at. Once you add in the tests (which are really cheap) and the worksheets (also inexpensive) is still doesn't cost a lot. THey are having their sale right now too. Free shipping on orders over $25 and a discount to boot!

If you have any specific questions about the Grade 3 Grammar, I would be happy to answer them.

Well, I was hoping someone would say that! :) What does a lesson, exactly, look like? What is it that you do orally? What, exactly, does the student need to write? How long does a lesson take? Do you do grammar daily? Do you feel like your child/ren are retaining grammar, even at 3rd grade? Whew! I think that is all I can think of, for right now! :)

Do you purchase the TM, student text and the worksheets? Or, do you not need the TM or worksheets? I'm looking at 3rd grade. Thanks!

I really like the TM. They schedule oral review questions at the beginning of each lesson, and I really love those!

For lower levels, I always bought the worksheets just in case we needed extra practice on a topic. For $2 or $3 they are definitely worth it.

Well, I was hoping someone would say that! :) What does a lesson, exactly, look like? What is it that you do orally? What, exactly, does the student need to write? How long does a lesson take? Do you do grammar daily? Do you feel like your child/ren are retaining grammar, even at 3rd grade? Whew! I think that is all I can think of, for right now! :)

I answered some of this in the other post.

I do grammar daily. Since we do most of the lessons orally, it takes much less time -- maybe 15-20 minutes give or take. Some take less and some take longer.

There is not an intense amount of writing that is necessary, IMO. I should have done more orally in grade 3 but was not thinking clearly and forced the writing. STUPID ME! Orally works just fine! I do have him write some of the lessons for practice. And he is required to write out the tests for each chapter.

Retention is not 100%, but nothing is, usually. I think he is learning and doing well. I feel this program is wonderfully done. It is thorough, inexpensive, and easy for me to teach given the lovely teacher's manual. It is not for everyone, but I sure love it!

QUOTE=KIN;117385]Well, I was hoping someone would say that! :) What does a lesson, exactly, look like? What is it that you do orally? What, exactly, does the student need to write? How long does a lesson take? Do you do grammar daily? Do you feel like your child/ren are retaining grammar, even at 3rd grade? Whew! I think that is all I can think of, for right now! :)

Here are small random portions of of Lesson 71 - Meeting the Paragraph

Teacher Book section

Aim: To introduce the correct form of a paragraph, and to teach that the sentences in a paragraph should all tell about one topic.

Oral Review: 1. Is 's used to spell the plural form or the possessive form of a noun? (possessive form) 2. Say the complete predicate in this sentence: Jesus healed people. (healed people) 3. What is the simple subject of Jesus healed people? (Jesus) 4. What is a direct object? How do we diagram it? (a noun or pronoun that receives the action of a verb; We put a straight line between the verb and the noun.)

Class: Ask the class to help you write a paragraph about one topic. You could suggest writing about Samuel, and list the following sentences on the board. (there is a list of sentences in the teacher book) Give further instruction for indentation by pointing out the form of each paragraph in the lesson.

The above is a portion of what is listed in the teacher book.

Here is a small section of what is listed in the student book, Lesson 71 - Meeting Paragraphs

Do you know how to write a paragraph? First write several sentences about one topic. Be careful to write your sentences in the order the things happened.

1. Moses was taking care of the sheep.

2. Suddenly he saw a burning bush.

3. God spoke to Moses from the bush.

To write your sentences as a paragraph, indent the first sentence about half an inch from the left margin. Write the sentences one after another. Keep the left margin very straight, except for the first line. Keep the right margin as straight as you can.

The lesson continues with some writing exercises that the student would complete.

We usually do grammar about 4 times a week. It takes about 20 minutes to give the review section, do a couple of sample sentences and direct the boys to do the work. Sometimes, we do a large portion of the work orally. There are times that I feel that they need to do the written work in their notebook.

Did you know that you can request a free curriculum sample from Rod and Staff? Each grade level has their own book. Rod and Staff will ship it out and even pay for the postage. I think if you requested this sample, you would get a better idea of what the actual student book and teacher book looks like. I have found it very helpful in the past in making purchasing decisions.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Joyfully,

Mary

I agree that the TM really is helpful. (Plus, there will be times that you'll want to be SURE if that is, indeed, how that sentence is diagrammed! LOL)

We also purchase all of the components. We've used the workbooks in leiu of the book work the majority of the time, partially because my son is a "fill in the blanks" kinda kid. ;) If he needs extra practice, then we go back and do the book work. We use the tests to test retention, and for us it has been tremendous!

We do grammar 3 days per week here. I saw that it was taking us too long to get through the curriculum, with 125 lessons plus reviews and tests for each unit. Because of this, we began doing the review lessons FIRST. (Every fifth lesson or so is a review of the previous four.) We used it as a sort of pre-test, and if he aced the review lesson we did not go back to do the actual lessons. He moved very quickly this way, and I plan to continue with this method through the next levels!

My son, though astounding in his abilities with spelling and grammar, hasn't done so well with writing. After reading WTM last summer, I was relieved to just let it go for a while. The last unit of English 3 is writing, and I am *relieved* to find that the extensive knowledge foundation of grammar in the previous units has given him the boost he needed to be able to do this last unit well. It's proof to me not only of the classical method and the stage at which my son is currently learning, but of the curriculum itself. It was not hard, there has been no fussing, and he has done well!

I'd also like to say that we have also done a lot of the work orally, or writing single word responses if I'm with the other children. For lessons where he would need to write a paragraph or more, or even just the necessity of writing full-sentence responses for a large number of questions, I often would let him type his answers on the computer. We deal with some small motor issues, and are learning typing separately anyhow, and found this to be a fantastic solution for tears' and time's sake. :)

What is it that you do orally? What, exactly, does the student need to write? How long does a lesson take? Do you do grammar daily? Do you feel like your child/ren are retaining grammar, even at 3rd grade?

Here's our daily grammar routine, between 10 and 15 minutes:

1. oral review (from teachers manual)

2. read aloud the lesson (depending on reading level -we take turns reading. I've found with one dd that she retains much more if she does all the reading aloud, and she prefers this.)

3. do most of exercise & review orally

4. do worksheet for lesson if provided

5. if child needs a little more work to grasp concept, assign some of the written assignment

With each child, I sorta know what they know. We do enough to review & keep info fresh in their minds, but I do not require lots of writing (unless of course, it is a writing assignment.) :001_smile:The program builds from year to year. So, don't worry if they don't have 100% retention ~ next year the material will be reviewed and then built upon.

I also wanted to encourage you to use the tests. I love them for several reasons:

• practice in test taking skills (my kids have few tests, so this is a great bonus)

• they act as a review of all material for the lesson

• they are inexpensive

Your questions have been essentially answered; however, I just wanted to let you know that I have a schedule for R & S 3 (2-8, as well) on my blog. (Go under "Schedules".) It's in MS Word format and will give you a "visual idea" of a daily schedule -- feel free to grab it and save it if you wish too.

My children (older guys, obviously) definitaly have retained their grammar! In fact, some of their friends fuss at them for being too "grammatically correct".