Menu

SOTW 1

BikeBookBread

I've got a B&N gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket. I thought I'd get a jump on first grade and buy some curriculum along with some stuff for me :)

If I buy SOTW 1, do I need the activity book in first grade, or is it more appropriate for the second cycle through?

Thanks!

Edited by BikeBookBread
ummmm, whole/hole. Good grief, the break was long...

You don't need it, but it's a big help! It's full of questions to use, extra book suggestions, projects, maps and coloring pages. I got it last year and thought I could do without it this year, big mistake and since I live overseas it's not an easy one to fix. Next year we are using the AG again.

You can probably find lots of activity books from the library for the Ancients. Here are two that we used:

Pyramids: 50 Hands-On Activities to Experience Ancient Egypt (Kaleidoscope Kids)

Classical Kids: An Activity Guide to Life in Ancient Greece and Rome (A Kid's Guide series)

If you're willing to take that extra time, you don't need the AG. I didn't use it, so I can't say for sure what I'm missing. But I don't feel like we missed out.

Particularly if your kid likes maps, adding extras, doing projects, etc... I'd get the AG. I have all the activity guides and the one for SOTW 1 is my favorite. My kids had so much fun acting out the battles, painting themselves like warriors, etc... It is definitely for the younger student going through for the first time, I'd say.

The AG (for those who don't know) contains map-work and coloring sheets for each chapter. It contains various games, projects and/or recipes for each chapter. It includes study cards and tons of suggestions for additional resources. It lists narration questions to help prompt the kids as they learn narration.

You can see a sample from the Ancients Activity Guide on the PHP site:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/media/downloads/pdfsamples/sotw1absample.pdf

Go down to page 17 to see an example of what each chapter might offer.

It's really fabulous, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Not that you need to hear it again, but the AG is wonderful. In our house, SOTW history is ds's favorite subject, thanks mostly to the maps, coloring pages and activities. You can do without it, but why?:D (well, ok, if you really need to save the $, have an awesome library and the inclination to do lots of reseach, gathering and homework, that would be a reason...)

I just started hs'ing and have found the AG to be extremely helpful. I have DS do the coloring page while I read from SOTW. I use the questions to make sure he comprehends what I'm reading. I use the narrations to practice spelling and handwriting in his journal. He loves the maps and after he colors them in we go to our globe and I point out the area. I use the book suggestions for read-alouds as well as independent reading (I put in a hold request for the books so that we have a handful of them available for each topic as we cover it.).

Personally as a new, slightly neurotic hs'er I find the AG extremely helpful.

I initially thought we'd skip the AG and use the resources listed from History Odyssey instead. But after a while I found I wasn't keeping on top of pulling things together, so decided to get the AG after all. What a fabulous decision that was! It is very easy to use, and a whole lot of fun.

We're now starting back at the beginning of SOTW 1 and doing a co-op with some friends. Fun times! :D