Menu

San Antonio, TX info please

We are in a rush to consider a possible move and know nothing about the city or surrounding area.

Anything would be helpful from opinions to neighborhood info, weather, driving, attractions and of course home school opportunities.

I'm stressing because we need to decide this by next week and I'm a planner by nature. Help:001_huh:.

DH's family all live in the San Antonio area and they all love it. They all live in the same neighborhood. It really is quite wonderful. Their area has a neighborhood pool and the families are all friendly and look out for one another. Everyone seems to be always outside interacting with each other. We considered moving there as well. I absolutely love the city! There are so many things to do there. I don't know about the local homeschooling climate, but Texas has great homeschooling laws from what I have seen (maybe some more Texans will chime in on this...). The home prices, to me, seemed to be very reasonable. The only things we had issues with was that we wanted to be sort of out in the country, and you have to be very careful about water issues once you get out of the areas with city water. Also, even though I had never had issues with allergies before, I was miserable there during certain times of the year due to the Cedar trees - never had that issue before - maybe it was just a fluke.:confused:

Anyway, every single person I have ever known from there sings its praises, but that is just what I have seen in my limited experience. Maybe others have some more info for you. Good luck with your move!

The traffic can be bad in places during rush hour...

We have lots of family in SA. I have a SIL who is a realtor there if you need to talk with someone she is great.... just e-mail or pm me for her number.

I like the North side the best.... there is a lot of growth on the NW side (near Sea World and Six Flags-Fiesta Texas). This is off loop 1604.

There are several WONDERFUL older neighborhoods I would LOVE to live in...with mature trees and large lots. My inlaws used to live in Harmony Hills--great location and great neighborhood.

Do you have a 'rough' price range you could tell us--that would give me more to work on as to what 'dream area' I'd choose. $200,000 can buy a LOT of house in certain areas... there are some nice neighborhoods in the lower 100's too.

SA also has LOTS of homeschoolers and homeschooling coops and centers and stores.... and historical places to visit..... and SEA WORLD....

We lived in San Antonio for five years. Moved away not quite three years ago.

It's a great place to live, especially with kids! I hated the weather, and there IS a lot of traffic. You have to readjust your expectations, in that it takes about 30 minutes to go almost anywhere. BUT, there are tons of homeschoolers. There are great opportunities to learn Spanish. The library system is fantastic. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the zoo, Sea World, and the New Braunfels children's museum. Just a lot of neat opportunities.