Menu

How old will your child be when he starts college (redshirting)

The redshirting thread got me wondering if many of you have children who will be starting college when they are almost 19. I've had a few go at 17 (won't do that again, at least not full time), a few at 18 and I have one coming up who will be closer to 19 when he starts college.

Mine start Community College and live at home at 18. They, so far, go onto a 4 year school at 20.

DS will be 19 during his 2nd semester.

We are condidered late bloomers in th hs community...but...whatever:001_huh:

~~Faithe

Mine will be at least 19 when they start, because we want them to take a gap year and work/travel. I think starting college at 16 or 17 is one of the worst mistakes people make. I saw my sister and my best friend flounder after starting early.

:iagree:

It is not the peer influence that damaged my kids...but the professor influence...

Don't get me started.....

~~Faithe

Mine start Community College and live at home at 18. They, so far, go onto a 4 year school at 20.

DS will be 19 during his 2nd semester.

We are condidered late bloomers in th hs community...but...whatever:001_huh:

~~Faithe

Faithe, I can see several advantages to this arrangement. Do your children feel odd being a bit older than the others when they start the 4 year school or is it even noticeable since they already have some of their college credits?

My dd is a freshman in high school. She is a year older than her classmates (she was adopted at an older age and has developmental and learning delays), and it will probably take her five (and possibly six) years to complete high school. She wants to go to college. She will be at least 20 and possibly 21 when she starts.

My younger kids will each be 18, unless they do gap years.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

My kids will all be turning 19 their first year in college, some as early as Sept of that first year, one as late as May. We *did* redshirt my dyslexic oldest, but at the time our state had one of the latest cutoff dates (they have since moved it back to Sept 1)