Menu

History Book Opinions Please

Cynful

I'm interested in hearing some opinions about two series of history books I found. The "If You" series (like If You Live in Colonial Times, etc.) and the "You Wouldn't Want" series (like You Wouldn't Want to Sail on the Mayflower"). Are either of them any good? Are they just "twaddle" or do they actually provide history?

Thanks,

I checked three of the "You Wouldn't Want to..." books out of the library last week for my 7yo dd (Aztec Sacrifice, Greek Athlete, and American Colonist), my daughter devoured them and wants to read the rest. They are cartoony so some might consider them twaddle...

We have totally enjoyed both series & I think both series provide lots of interesting & fun facts/observations about history. I think both often provide some of the odd/neat facts that you wouldn't necessarily find in a dry history text, kwim? The "You Wouldn't Want to be..." series is cartoon-ish looking & kind of on the gross side (thus the appeal to kids, lol), but they're neat books.

Another series you may want to check out is the Good Times Travel Agency series by Linda Bailey. The illustrations are cartoon-ish too, but they are really a great series too.