Menu

Question about knitting needles

I just graduated to DPNs, ordered a set, and didn't realize I was getting sock needles. I would like to return them and get some larger sizes as the largest now is a size 3. Since I am ordering them, I would like to get a few sizes, maybe 3, to save on shipping. I am wondering which sizes. I am seeing sizes 4 and 6 used in patterns. Is there another size that would be good or are those 2 pretty standard until I get into heavy duty sock knitting?

I agree with the above, but what do you plan on knitting? If your aim is to knit sweaters, many patterns dictate that you knit the sleeves in the round, in which case you'll have to start at the cuff on dpns. For this reason, I also like to keep size 8 and 9 dpns handy.

astrid

Yep 5, 6, and 7 are my most commonly used. Where did you order from? I have found knitpicks.com to be a great place to buy needles if you spend $50 you get free shipping :)

I got them from Knitpicks. I got the Harmony Options set for Christmas and was so thrilled I ordered the 6" set of DPNs, not fully realizing how tiny they would be.

LOVE the Harmony.

I just graduated to DPNs, ordered a set, and didn't realize I was getting sock needles. I would like to return them and get some larger sizes as the largest now is a size 3. Since I am ordering them, I would like to get a few sizes, maybe 3, to save on shipping. I am wondering which sizes. I am seeing sizes 4 and 6 used in patterns. Is there another size that would be good or are those 2 pretty standard until I get into heavy duty sock knitting?

I just ordered a bunch for sock knitting. I'd been using my size 6's for the spiral socks but I really need a size 1,2,3, and 5. :) Not having size 2's last year really limited my pattern choices for sock knitting.

JoAnn's is having a sale online and I added a bit of yarn to boot.

Love the KnitPicks Harmonies! I mostly use 6, 7 and 8 for hats, 4, 5 and 6 are good for worsted weight socks. 9 and 10 for bulky weight hats. What I especially like about the Harmonies is that they're 8" long vs the Clover bamboos which are 7" long. It seems like a small difference but the 8" length keeps the stitches from falling off when knitting hats.

If you have a project in mind go with what size is recommended there plus one size up and one down. That way if your gauge isn't just so you'll already have the next size handy. (Um, that is, assuming you'll swatch. I'm bad about swatching. I never swatch for hats or socks or scarves or . . . haven't done a sweater yet but will probably swatch for that when the time comes!)

Cinder