Menu

old

My number one recommendation is Shades of Gray. It takes place right after the Civil War. It's one of my favorites. I re-read it every few years.

We didn't like The Perilous Road because we wanted to strangle the main character throughout the entire book. He was a brat.

Behind Rebel Lines is a good book about a woman who disguised herself as a man to join the army.

Across Five Aprils is a slog, but it's a good story.

Brady (Jean Fritz) is very good. It's about a boy who discovers that his neighbor is part of the Underground Railroad.

The Root Cellar is a time travel story. A girl travels back in time to the Civil War when she goes down to fetch something from her aunt's root cellar.

Charley Skedaddle is pretty good. It is about a boy who enlists in the army and then runs away during a battle.

I forgot about Turn Homeward, Hannalee. It's a decent book, but not great.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

Across Five Aprils

Rifles for Waite

Go Free of Die

Petticoat Spies

Civil War Stories (Sandi Queen)

Joy Hakim's War Terrible War is an interesting spine

Stonewall

Jeb Stuart and His Horse

Traveller

I like the War Time Papers of Robert E Lee. Probably not interesting for a child though.

Johnny Tremaine and My Brother Sam is Dead are Revolutionary War literature books. The other books previously listed are what we will be using so I can't offer an opinion there. We begin Civil War this week. I recommend the resource book All Through the Ages History through Literature Guide by Christine Miller. There are selections for every time period broken down by age, overview, historical fiction, biography, specific events, literature, and culture. I'm looking forward to this period. We're going to use The Civil War for Kids: A History with 21 activities in addition. Has anyone used this?