Menu

Jury Duty Monday...What to Expect?

My experience was that there is a lot of waiting. You go and sign in (there were signs everywhere telling us where to go ). Then they direct you into a big room where you wait fill in some paperwork, I think (not sure about this part), and wait while they call different people for different cases. Those not divvied up for the cases then get to go home. I was called for a case, so we all trooped to another room where we waited and filled in more paperwork. Then they started a process of winnowing down our group. . . In my case, I had to go for a second day of the winnowing process before I was excused from the case and jury duty for that time.

What made them release him so quickly? What is the magic phrase I can say to have them let me go early?;)

They settled, didn't need a jury. That seems to happen fairly often around here.

He joked that he would tell the judge that he could tell if someone's guilty just by looking at them. I think you might get in trouble for that though. :lol:

Yep, take a book or a magazine...and a sweater in case the room is cold. I found it a great day to people watch. I played the how would you cast this person in a novel or movie. :D

I was in a group that had to hang around for three hours after lunch in case we were needed. For me, it was a quiet day to read.

Jury duty is a a small inconvenience for making our judicial system work. Thanks for serving with a smile. :D

Yes, definitely bring a book--or two. Lots of waiting around.

Also, every county is probably different, but I only had to go in for 3 days out of a 2-week term. Some weeks they don't have many cases. When I did it, I spent probably half of my time waiting in the jury room. I was considered for two cases and of those was selected for one.

I actually sort of enjoyed my time on the jury, it was interesting seeing how things work up close. It was also sobering being in a position to decide whether or not another human being would spend time in jail. Even once you're on a jury, you end up sitting around and waiting a lot while things are worked on in the courtroom. We spent hours discussing the case and the law before we came to a verdict. After we did, the lawyers were waiting for us in the hall to find out why we came to the conclusion we did.

After my case was over, I still had to check in every day (again, it's different in every county), but I didn't have to go back in.

You'll be absolutely, devastatingly miserable if you forget your book.

Other than that, I really enjoyed being a part of the process. Helped me remember things that make our country great. I also enjoyed the atmosphere of being among some really bright people. The judge, lawyers, and many of those who testified were very intelligent, and it was a pleasure to hear logical arguments on both sides.

ETA: I also brought some little snacks in my bag, and was very glad I did!