Menu

HELP!! dd is not fully getting Latin! we are using

hmschoolmom22

Latin's Not So Tough - she has made her way through Book 3 and we are starting Book 4 now.

She attends Classical Conversations and this is the Latin curriculum they use.

She is just not getting it! she's struggling big time which is causing her to hate the subject! her test scores are in the 70's -last test was a 78% and she was THRILLED!

I would love for her (and me) to better understand it. This curriculum does not click for either of us. I am willing to purchase another Latin curriculum for us to learn together and kind of start over with. She will continue her Classical Conversations class of course but I would like to supplement with something else.

What do I get for the beginner Latin student and mom? she is in 8th grade, 13 yrs old and is a fairly bright child...we need something more user friendly.

Thanks so much for any advice!

I never used Latin's Not so tough but I saw it because we did CC last year in 8th grade. My dd had done a lot of Latin so she did Latin with the Challenge 1 class (they used Henle). There was not a single kid who did well with Latin's Not so Tough. It looked awful. There are several good choices for 8th graders.

If you are comfortable teaching the Latin you could use Henle, especially if you are going to do Challenge next year you'd be ahead and it could be a review for a while. But if you aren't comfortable with Latin, Henle isn't the easiest way to go.

Other good options would be Latin Alive or Latin for the New Millennium. They are Latin from the beginning geared for older kids. First Form Latin is another good choice but it's a bit young for an 8th grader to start. It's more 5th/6th grader. But it doesn't speak down to the kids so you could look at the samples. I just think it goes slower than an 8th grader would want to go.

Heather

Those are Latin Christiana and First Form Latin.

If she already knows the LC1 content, LC2 gets pretty tough, I have heard, part of the way through. Although not usually considered quite 8th grade material, it would be a good bridge to Henle, and you would have a good chance of finishing it by the end of the school year or of the summer in time to pick up Henle with the class next fall.

First Form Latin starts from the very beginning, but doesn't get as far as LCII, according to the Memoria Press guy I spoke with last spring. It starts more quickly than LCI.

Based on what you have said and what the Memoria Press guy told me, if she can manage LC2 it sounds like your best bet.

I would say First Form... as that's great for Henle... which is where she's headed next year. I'd tell her to do her best with LNST and that her grade will come from First Form... Now... here's the part you'll have to deal with if you choose this path.... First Form is Church/Ecclesiastical... and Henle will be done with Classical pronunciation. If not that... if you wanna really study with her... then Henle now would be good:-) I'd tell your daughter not to sweat it... that LNST is TOUGH at that level. The good thing about it may be at the very end... if she can get the vocabulary down... and wants to take one of the Latin Tests....

I know that there are a couple of Latin books to help you get your teeth sunk into Latin:-) If it was my daughter... I'd literally just tell her to relax... go back to the very basics of learning Latin... and just let her know that many many people have a problem with LNST. Give her a Hug.... and let her know... that just because LNST isn't going well... doesn't mean that Henle will be the same. Personally, I've heard many more good things about Henle than LNST. I WOULD expect for studying Latin to take 1 hour or more a day, and I would help her with the grammar questions and flashcards... and recitation....

Carrie

I am not familiar with Henle, I use/have used Wheelock. The main problem most people with Wheelock is that it is a college level text. That issue is solved by slowing it down and adding extra repetition. There are tons of online resources for Wheelock's Latin including online pronunciation and supplements. Wheelock would be a great place for you to start with Latin to supplement your child.

However be advised that Wheelock is classical latin not church latin.