Menu

Ever take a break from an instrument?

Dd (11) has been playing the violin since she was five.

This past summer she also began piano lessons.

Although she loves the violin and is quite accomplished, she would like to take a year off of violin and try the harp.

This is going to be a hard sell with her dad who loves her violin music, but I do see how tired she gets of it and think a break might be nice for her.

Anyone had a dc who's asked "just give me a year off?"

Dd (11) has been playing the violin since she was five.

This past summer she also began piano lessons.

Although she loves the violin and is quite accomplished, she would like to take a year off of violin and try the harp.

This is going to be a hard sell with her dad who loves her violin music, but I do see how tired she gets of it and think a break might be nice for her.

Anyone had a dc who's asked "just give me a year off?"

I would take a long look at goals. What is your goal for playing harp, piano and violin?

Personally-and this is just me-I would suggest taking the break from piano and adding harp. I would tell my dd-and this is just me-that she should keep up with the instrument she is already good at-and getting better. Harp and violin scholarships (if that is in the future) are probably more available than piano scholarships. (And switching to viola would make even more sense if this is your goal.)

And yes, I did take some time away from my instrument. It makes me too sad to even talk about.

Holly

Thanks- long term goals are something to consider.

Hmm...her l/t goal is to be a sahm who teaches violin in her home.

For now, she loves music and we started her piano lessons because she had already taught herself quite a bit of piano on her own.

We figured we better get her a teacher who could guide her since she was determined to learn.

She has friends who play the harp which is where that interest came from.

I have no doubt that if we had a harp in the home already, she would be self-teaching at that also.

Her ideal school day would consist of just music lessons; one instrument after another but, y'know...that's not gonna happen.

I hate to limit her love for music, but we can only pay for so many lessons, not to mention the driving involved.

Thanks- long term goals are something to consider.

Hmm...her l/t goal is to be a sahm who teaches violin in her home.

For now, she loves music and we started her piano lessons because she had already taught herself quite a bit of piano on her own.

We figured we better get her a teacher who could guide her since she was determined to learn.

She has friends who play the harp which is where that interest came from.

I have no doubt that if we had a harp in the home already, she would be self-teaching at that also.

Her ideal school day would consist of just music lessons; one instrument after another but, y'know...that's not gonna happen.

I hate to limit her love for music, but we can only pay for so many lessons, not to mention the driving involved.

O.K. that is a really interesting l/t goal. Hmmmm. I guess you might want to look into harp costs-especially if you decide to buy. If you are getting a big daddy harp (pedals) then make sure you look at what a set of strings cost, along with harp cover, dolly and lessons. If you are renting....check into lesson costs. We pay more for harp than any other instrument.

Serious harp playing includes a lot of technique. It is probably just as well she is not self-teaching. Why relearn everything because of bad habits?

The last thing I'd mention, based on your comments, is that you might want to rethink the idea of limiting your dd's love for music. Music takes passion and love, yes. But, it also (and more importantly in my opinion) takes (the older you get) dedication, sacrifice, persistence/perseverance. And there are only 24 hours in a day. And you HAVE to sleep, right? So, limiting the number of instruments your dd studies is really doing her a favor in the long run. I'd rather be really good at a few things than mediocre at several things. That's a personal philosophy that many might find controversial. It is really just my personal feeling. However, it is bound up in all my years of musical study.

Well, we're in the middle of a break right now. :001_smile:

Dd has taken piano for 1 1/2, so she's pretty new at it. Loves her teacher, but it's like she isn't really progressing. My dh always has to "help" her, even if she had a lesson the day before. Now, it may be the teacher (I've started threads about this-many here think it is), or it may be that she just isn't meant for an instrument.

She likes it, up to a point. Anyway, we're taking a break until summer and are going to reassess the situation then. And am going to look for a new teacher.

I think it's great that your dd is so interested in learning so many different instruments. She sounds very talented!