Menu

I was planning to enroll my ds in the FL Virtual School Language Arts class, but looking at it (now that I can see the actual class) it is *not* appropriate for him.

So, we are back to:

FLVS Reading (finished the first half with a B!)

REWARDS (and then REWARDS Plus)

Winston Grammar Basic

Writing Strands (now that he has mastered the basic paragraph and writes complete sentences most of the time)

Vocabulary - not sure

Editing - not sure (this is best for him because he is a whole to parts learner)

Spell to Write and Read (his request)

I have to streamline this, though, as there is only so much time in a day! He won't do everything everyday and some things will be more "loose" than others.

I use AAS for spelling as well.

For grammar I use FLL 1/2 lightly (don't follow the script and not overly worried about memorization, just exposure). Then in 4th I move into JAG/AG. Right now my 4th grader is doing JAG at half pace, and my 6th grader is doing AG season 2 at half pace.

I use a lot of dictation, almost daily from K-ish. I own the old SL LA that has dictation tied to the child's readers.

For writing I use WWE (my oldest was a natural and did a lot of lapbooking instead) and then move into CW. I love CW for the fact that it waits so long to have a child write original content, but continues to develop useful skills at the same time.

I teach typing starting in 2nd grade, so they type all their writing.

Heather

Have you ever tried having him do his writing assignments orally? Ie, he can do the brainstorm process orally, then you can print it out, he can cut it out (if you put a triple space between each sentence--not lines, but sentences, this is easier), and reorganize the sentences anyway he wants. Then you can retype it (or he can if he's typing that much yet), and he can add in more details orally etc... This way you work on the skills of writing but take out the added stress of handwriting, spelling, and all the mechanics.

I use copywork and dictation to focus on mechanics etc..., or I allow a LOT of time for revision if I want a piece polished (and I didn't do this in 4th grade--at most they would work on a paragraph then. Anything longer would have been an oral process.). Here's an article I wrote about helping kids with the revision process.

My oldest is in 7th grade now, and they really do make a lot of progress over time. Especially as the dictations progress in AAS. Also, when you get up to Level 3, AAS adds in "The Writing Station" and they work on writing sentences using the spelling words. Often the words relate to each other so they lend themselves to making a story if the kids want to, or they can just do sentences. Anyway, it's been fun for my kids and it helps them continue to progress in their writing skills. I've seen lots of progress in their writing through AAS. All that to say...don't despair. I know it's a lot of work & looks scary at times & we wonder if our kids will be able to write. Hang in there.

Merry :-)

For my 10 year old son with language-based lds, I'm using:

Spelling Mastery from SRA this has helped with both spelling and reading and is recommended in Shayowitz's Overcoming Dyslexia (I buy the books on ebay)

IEW for Writing - I have been very happy with this for him.

SRA's Cursive Writing -He is doing well with cursive after using this and again I bought it on ebay

CLE's Language Arts - So far, so good, but I'm not sure it's going to cut it for him in the long run. We're just using the grammar. At the end of the year, I will reevaluate and we may switch to Hake Grammar & Writing but just use the grammar portion

Six Minute Solutions- Repeated readings for fluency

Susan B. Anthony's Dictation Book I have him do copywork one day and then dictate the same sentences the next.

After recently reading Overcoming Dyslexia I bought Wordsmart's Vocabulary cd-rom and have started reading out loud with my son again at night. We take turns reading and this seems to be really helping him.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I'd love to see the LA line-up others are successfully using with LLD students. Anyone? :bigear:

Dd is younger, so we're probably doing less ...

AAS

Sonlight LA 2

Mad Libs

dialogue journal (letter format-- she writes to me and I write back)

pen pals/e-mail

ETA: I'd like to add a typing program and Latin at some point in the next year or two.

Edited by zaichiki

I am looking to overhaul our Language Arts line up for the spring semester. We have pretty much been using BJU across the board, with AAS to remediate dyslexic ds's spelling problems.

Our last writing assignment before the break was a major reality check for Mom. The assignment (BJU 4 Writing/Grammar) was a compare and contrast essay. The sample was a four paragraph, full page essay. Ds couldn't complete even one paragraph. In fact, I don't think he even had one complete sentence in his entire assignment. And grammar and punctuation? Forget it.

Soooo, it's back to the drawing board. So far, I've got this:

Handwriting: BJU 4

Reading: slowly continue BJU 4, perhaps supplementing with REWARDS Intermediate

Grammar: ??

Writing: ??

Spelling: AAS 2

Typing: Typing Instructor for Kids (not exactly LA, but the ed psych urged us to let him type as many of his assignments as possible)

I've got Winston Grammar which we used for a while then abandoned because I thought we weren't accomplishing enough. I am extremely resistant to IEW for writing even though I hear about it everywhere. I am seriously considering Verticy Learning's Writing/Grammar program even though it is quite pricey. Also on the table is something like Daily Language Reviews (Evan Moor) where we can drill different grammar concepts every day rather than focusing only on one skill like BJU. (Ha -- I just realized I described a 'spiral' vs a 'mastery' program, but for grammar rather than math!)

Sorry for the rambling. I'd love to see the LA line-up others are successfully using with LLD students. Anyone? :bigear:

I really, really recommend doing grammar and composition via copywork, narration and dictation. The best way to get your ds to generalize those grammar and writing skills is through dictation. Have a look at SWB's materials Writing Fundementals and WWE. You don't need these to use the same strategies, but they are a wonderful resource.

The BJU writing assignment you described sounds like a bit much for many average kids. I know few 4th grades that could complete a 4 or 5 paragraph compare/contrast essay.

My 7th grade son is a largely remediated dyslexic. I've successfully used the following materials and would recommend them:

Spelling Mastery (SRA)

JAG or Winston Grammar

Composition via dictation and narration either with or without WWE

REWARDS (we used about 1/3 of this program)

Develop reading fluency and speed via repeated readings

Poetry memorization

HTH, Stacy

My 11 year old Aspie has been using:

FLL 4

IEW Ancient History Based Writing

WWE3

I really like that the WWE is narration, dictation, retelling - which is hard for him. The IEW is really challenging but I support him and we work side by side, I underline words on the pages and write down his ideas on the worksheets. Then I guide him through the first sentence or two. I type up his rough draft and then we go over it together and I have him do the final draft on the computer. Gradually I am turning more and more of this work over to him but if he flounders I step right back in. Writing has always been a really hard thing for him and he gets easily "defeated". This more intensive writing I do every few weeks, in between we stick with FLL/WWE.

For my 7 year old ADHD/Dyslexic son we are currently using:

WWE1 and

FLL1/2

I am focusing on memorization for him, he really needs better overall language skills and fluidity in his formal speech. We do alot of our work orally. His writing is atrocious and very difficult for him. We have been doing HWOT, I do ReadyWriter exercises and daily copywork. I just ordered AAS after once again looking at the rave reviews on this board and we are going to give that a try. My older son is a natural speller, my middle son is...not.

I have Winston Grammar Basic set that I used with the older at the start but he really seems to prefer the diagramming in FLL so sticking with that for now.