Menu

Looking ahead, best earth/space science? And physical science/chemistry?

momto2Cs

I am looking ahead to next year - this year we are doing e=mcq's Classical Life Science (3rd grader & 1st). Next year I'd like to do Earth/Space, and then a year split between chemistry and physical science. What are some of the good programs out there for these?

Secular options please! Thanks!

There is also....

R.E.A.L Science Odyssey has Earth/Space and Chemistry.

This is what we have, we are using Chemistry this year and hoping to also do Earth/Space now that Soccer is over and we have more time. We did Life Science. Completely secular.

I looked at McHenry's Elements and the sample also looked great... the first activity was similar to one of the first activities in REAL Science Odyssey. Elements is aimed at a bit higher age, and I am hoping we can do that later. I hadn't heard about it when we got the RSO Chemistry and also I was a big fan of the other RSO stuff. RSO is meant to last a year.

I am thrilled with Elemental Science for Chemistry.

I haven't decided on Earth and Space. I am leaning toward either Elemental Science or Mr. Q because I want to keep it simple, instead of a program that requires numerous books (which it sounds like REAL and Noeo, Living Learning books, etc. would require).

Edited by Lovedtodeath

For earth and space we tried Living Learning books, but I wasn’t impressed. I almost forgot that we ever dabbled in that curriculum. Right now, we are studying a little earth and space in addition to my oldest dd’s chemistry. We are using several books because that is our style of doing science. The spine for my oldest, with the younger ones tagging along. is “Earth-A Visual Guide†by Michael Allaby. The young ones have “The Usborne First Encyclopedia of Our Worldâ€. We have a couple of small books on rocks and minerals. For Astronomy, we have the Prentice Hall book, and additional books on the solar system, including an Usborne book and picture books…I also plan on adding in living books from the library. For experiments, we have Make it Work Oceans, some rock and mineral experiment kits, a partially used Young Scientists Club kit, and some other astronomy kits. I would also like to make a paper mache’ solar system. (with glow in the dark paint!) Perhaps we will end up extending this into the summer since we are also doing chemistry and physics…

For physics we have a wonderful website with experiments to explore, we recently went to a local college to see a demo and the children learned so much. I am also hoping to have my oldest dd involved with the 4-H club soon and the science days that the college offers for her age group.

For now, my oldest is going briefly through the Elements again and trying to polish off any activities that were not done before. She is also going through the Science Encyclopedia and Mysteries and Marvels and keeping a notebook for retention.

In addition, she has requested to go through RS4K again with her younger siblings, acting as the teacher. Whew! That’s quite a bit of science. This time we are going to add in the Physics when we use RS4K, and so I am excited to see how RS4K handles it. I was very impressed with RS4K Chemistry. It has been our favorite around here by far. I would think that you could easily add a kit, or kits, along with a few living books to RS4K and stretch out the Chemistry and Physics for an entire year.

(Although I think REAL science looks wonderful both for chemistry and earth and space, and I am looking forward to seeing what Paige is coming out with for physics.) :tongue_smilie:

HTH.

I'll add another vote for

REAL Science Odyssey from pandia press. We've used Life and are going back to Chemistry now. We took a break for a while to try some other things but have decided REAL is what we love.

I haven't used Earth and Space, but have heard good things about it. I also just emailed the owner of Pandia Press last night and she said the writing of Biology 2 and Physics 1 for RSO are coming along. I sure hope they are done by next fall then my science search can be over.

I also just emailed the owner of Pandia Press last night and she said the writing of Biology 2 and Physics 1 for RSO are coming along. I sure hope they are done by next fall then my science search can be over.

Thank you for this information! I had heard once before that she was working on Physics. We won't be needing it for a couple of years. I'm sure it will be done by then. :hurray:

I am looking forward to seeing what Paige is coming out with for physics.
:iagree:

I just remember hearing that.

If I hadn't already gotten materials suggested from WTM, we'd be doing Elemental Earth Science. ( okay, that's funny , cause that's the volume Paige says was the hardest for her to write as neutral because she is a creationist. I think that lable is right, if not SO sorry Paige.)

My worldview is diffferent than that, but I still would be using Elemental Science, and I plan to use it next year for Chemistry.

~c. in al

If I hadn't already gotten materials suggested from WTM, we'd be doing Elemental Earth Science. ( okay, that's funny , cause that's the volume Paige says was the hardest for her to write as neutral because she is a creationist. I think that lable is right, if not SO sorry Paige.)

My worldview is diffferent than that, but I still would be using Elemental Science, and I plan to use it next year for Chemistry.

~c. in al

No, that is incorrect; I assure you The Elements is completely secular. :)

Wonderful, you are planning on using Elemental Science. Let us know how it goes. :bigear:

I do think that Elemental looks good, at one point I was considering using her Chemistry, but we have too many chemistry programs already. :nopity:

I want to figure out how to fit in REAL Science Odyssey, I think I will love it! I have caught myself drooling at the samples….

Our problem is that we never finish a science program, instead we end up just reading books and doing experiments.

Edited by lovemykids

~c. in al

Christine, that is right and I'm glad your going to use Chemistry! As for those looking forward to Physics, me too! Seriously it's been a challenge to write, but it turning out to be alot of fun. I should have preview samples up in the next week or two at the yahoo group.

To the OP, have you considered getting Fizz, Bubble, Flash or Gizmos and Gadgets and just reading through those? Both are excellent books that teach on chemistry and physics and you could work through them at your own pace for a semester long chemistry/physics unit.

I haven't decided on Earth and Space. I am leaning toward either Elemental Science or Mr. Q because I want to keep it simple, instead of a program that requires numerous books (which it sounds like REAL and Noeo, Living Learning books, etc. would require).

Carmen,

I can’t wait to hear how you like Mr. Q. I haven’t heard that much about it, despite it being available for years. One book does sound attractive at times. Using so many books to teach can be difficult, especially when the children keep losing them. Ask me how I know!

That must be part of why REAL Science sounds so tempting. (all of the books are supplemental) And I love the simplicity of RS4K along with visually appealing pages. (even though we end up adding books to the program) LOL.

OP,

I am sure I am leaving out a few important books in my Earth/ Space description. This is something we have just decided to do off the top of our heads since the kids have been drawn to those books recently. And I would have to agree with Paige on her book recommendations. We received Fizz Bubble and Flash in a Noeo package, and although I ended up selling it, I was quite impressed.