Menu

Quick decorating question...

We are converting a half-bath to a full-bath in our guest house. The bathroom is really long, but narrow, so we had one of those tiny square showers put in, it's about 70 cm x 70 cm. Because of the way the bathroom is laid out, I had to put a small, U-shaped curtain rod way high, above an interior door jamb. I can't remember the exact measurements, but the curtains we can get are all going to be too short, like by maybe a foot?

We have guests coming in a couple of days, I don't want to fiddle with trying to stitch panels to make a longer curtain. As I see it, my options are to hang the curtain as usual with a large gap at the bottom, or buy additional sets of curtain rings and link them, forming short chains at the top. I'm wondering if option A might be weird feeling, and/or will cause water to go everywhere; I'm wondering if option B will look weird and/or will be difficult to open and close. Or, go with option C, suck it up and buy a second curtain, maybe in a contrasting color, and stitch an extra band across the top (you can do that on a sewing machine, right?

Which would you choose?

I could get cheap enough rings, that's not a worry. I wasn't sure how smoothly it would move. Then again, with a 2.5-ft by 2.5-ft shower it's not like there's a whole lot of space you'll have to move it, lol. You could just not move it at all and slip in there and out. It'll be like taking a shower in a phone booth! I will of course give our guests the option of using the larger bathrooms in the main house; but when we asked the owner to put in a shower this is what we got -- beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

I think A might send water everywhere, either escaping from the shower, or when it drips off the bottom of the curtain. I am not sure about B. Given that you're in Arabia, I'm assuming cheap tailors, and I'd go with C. Might be worth at least trying B, though...

1) Do you have a drain hole in the room? I have been to plenty of showers that don't even have a curtain, so I am not sure if this is a big deal.

2) Will your curtain be waterproof? Or is it purely a decorative cloth curtain?

3) If you do a length extension, I'd add to the bottom, not the top, and forego extra curtain rings. It would be a straight stitch and fairly easy to do, or you could probably hire someone to do it.

There is a drain in the room. However, the way it's set up the room would really be drenched at the end of a shower. We don't have shower curtains in the bathrooms in our house, but it's not really a difficulty to keep the water inside the tub because of it's size/shape, plus its location in the room. In this case, the shower has such a low lip -- maybe three inches off the ground? -- plus it's small in perimeter, and it's similar to being in the middle of a hallway (between the sink and the toilet), so it'll all get really wet..

Also, at least my first guests will be family from the States who aren't used to the no-curtain style. I think they'd be more comfortable with a curtain than a squeegee. :)

I'll try out the rings tomorrow and see how it looks. I'm waffling between thinking it'll look kinda neat or look too "industrial" lol.

Why not add something between the rings and the curtain? Thread it through the holes in the curtain and hook up the rings as usual. In hospitals these kind of curtains have mesh at the top for airflow. It could look normal if you do it that way.

Do you have anything (like ribbon) strong enough? Some kind of cord? (Shoelaces?) 12" of extra rings could get expensive. It would be cheaper to buy a new curtain.