Menu

My mascara is being discontinued, help!

Guest Cindie2dds

Guest Cindie2dds

I currently use Max Factor's Volume Couture. Since Max Factor is going out of business at the first of the year, I need help finding another mascara. I want something under $10. My other favorite is Lancome Defincils -- can't afford it, but if you know of something similar, I would love to hear!

Thank you!

I can so relate! My mascara - CoverGirl Marathon was discontinued some time ago, then I mysteriously found it at Walmart, but I can't even get it there anymore! It's the only mascara I found that truly doesn't smudge. I have major smudge problems - undereye makeup and allergies.

Unfortunately I do not have any recommendations, since I haven't been that thrilled with anything I've used so far. Right now I'm using L'Oreal - I got it free with my haircolor some time ago. They all seem to make your eyelashes look nice. For me the smudge factor is important.

Good luck! Maybe I'll find a good suggestion here.

Guest Cindie2dds
Can you go ahead and buy a few to stock up?

Yes, but that would only solve the problem for so long. I'd like to find something else, good idea, though.

Try Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume.

I got it a couple weeks ago based on reviews at cosmeticscop.com & I like it. Some of the L'Oreal mascaras are also very good - I think they're still the same company as Lancome & many products are very similar.

I had heard that too, but L'Oreal makes a lot of different kinds of mascara, just wondering which one people like that might be similar to my favorites. I'll try it, thanks!

I can so relate! My mascara - CoverGirl Marathon was discontinued some time ago, then I mysteriously found it at Walmart, but I can't even get it there anymore! It's the only mascara I found that truly doesn't smudge. I have major smudge problems - undereye makeup and allergies.

Unfortunately I do not have any recommendations, since I haven't been that thrilled with anything I've used so far. Right now I'm using L'Oreal - I got it free with my haircolor some time ago. They all seem to make your eyelashes look nice. For me the smudge factor is important.

Good luck! Maybe I'll find a good suggestion here.

Haven't tried CoverGirl, I guess that's next! Thanks, ladies.

I currently use Max Factor's Volume Couture. Since Max Factor is going out of business at the first of the year, I need help finding another mascara. I want something under $10. My other favorite is Lancome Defincils -- can't afford it, but if you know of something similar, I would love to hear!

Thank you!

What about opting out of the mascara? Or do you feel nekkid without it? I've never worn it so I don't have ideas. Just thought I'd toss the thought into the ring!:)

I had heard that too, but L'Oreal makes a lot of different kinds of mascara, just wondering which one people like that might be similar to my favorites. I'll try it, thanks!

I haven't used your old favorite, but I really like L'oreal Voluminous waterproof. It seems like it gets old a clumpy in the tube a bit faster than some other kinds, so I always end up replacing it more often. Actually, I think that's a good thing, because otherwise I don't remember to replace old mascara often enough!

What about opting out of the mascara? Or do you feel nekkid without it? I've never worn it so I don't have ideas. Just thought I'd toss the thought into the ring!:)

Colleen, lol! I've got to admit, the reason I opened this thread was because I saw that you had posted under a thread about mascara. -Just seemed out of character according to what I know about you. You are such a practical and down-to-earth person. :001_smile: I had to see what you had to say about the suject.... ;)

Guest Cindie2dds

Actually I don't wear makeup when I am home. I don't like it. I am required to wear mascara, powder, blush and lipstick (burt's bees makes me look like I have lipstick on) when I work. Hence the reason for cheap! :D

ETA: I'm also a natural blond, so you can really tell if I don't wear it, not an option.

Edited by Cindie2dds

Guest Cindie2dds
I haven't used your old favorite, but I really like L'oreal Voluminous waterproof. It seems like it gets old a clumpy in the tube a bit faster than some other kinds, so I always end up replacing it more often. Actually, I think that's a good thing, because otherwise I don't remember to replace old mascara often enough!

This is probably good since I don't use it very often. I replace it probably about once a year now just because. If it dries out fast, I'll dump it faster. Thanks!

Actually I don't wear makeup when I am home. I don't like it. I am required to wear mascara, powder, blush and lipstick (burt's bees makes me look like I have lipstick on) when I work. Hence the reason for cheap! :D

ETA: I'm also a natural blond, so you can really tell if I don't wear it, not an option.

Just curious what job you have that requires makeup? I've never heard of that.:confused:

I'm sad about Max Factor. I saw this cool show on late one night about the giants in the makeup industry and it was neat to learn about the origins of modern makeup and how it has changed with the times.

I use Maybeline Great Lash in Waterproof to keep from smudging. I have used it for years and love it. It's the pink and green one.

A very helpful website about make-up is www.makeupalley.com . It has hundreds of reviews of different brands of make-up. You can simply select mascara and the top brands will pop up- not all of them are top of the line expensive ones. I usually go to this website when I'm looking for something (like moisturizer) and have no idea what's the "best" out there.

I think you'd like the Loreal voluminous. I used to use it a few years ago - regular, not waterproof. I've used the Lancome as well so I'm comparing apples and apples.

But really, the CG lash blast is surprisingly good. I got it for <$5 on sale & I'm very happy with it but it does take 2 coats. Voluminous I could get away with just 1 coat....

Guest Cindie2dds

Sounds like CG it is!

For those who are interested, I'm a flight attendant for a major carrier. I fly part time (about 6 to 8 days a month, depending on the flight hours). We are required to wear mascara, powder, blush and lipstick; but foundation, eyeshadow and eyeliner are recommended. ;)

Guest Cindie2dds
A very helpful website about make-up is www.makeupalley.com . It has hundreds of reviews of different brands of make-up. You can simply select mascara and the top brands will pop up- not all of them are top of the line expensive ones. I usually go to this website when I'm looking for something (like moisturizer) and have no idea what's the "best" out there.

I went there a couple of times, but it seemed like the reviews were mostly very young women with drawers full of makeup. I'm a little older and I kind of like talking to moms with kids about what they use. You guys seem a little more *real* KWIM? :) It could have changed since the last time I was there. I should probably check it out again.

For those who are interested, I'm a flight attendant for a major carrier. I fly part time (about 6 to 8 days a month, depending on the flight hours). We are required to wear mascara, powder, blush and lipstick; but foundation, eyeshadow and eyeliner are recommended. ;)

What on earth?!! I'm officially gob-smacked.