Menu

"International editions" of textbooks?

My kids are home from college and trying to save money by buying the textbooks for next semester used online.

My daughter has a class where the only used texts she can find are labeled "International edition." The description says it's in color and is identical to the US edition.

What does this mean? What is an international edition? And is buying one a reasonable risk, or should she just pay the full price and buy new?

Thanks!

(Oh fiddle -- I meant to post this on the college forum. I hope people see this post here!)

Edited by Gwen in VA

We have bought the international edition for some textbooks. BUT never if a CD rom or some access code to an online site is needed. Only once did we have a problem, but the person never advertised it as an international edition. Just be careful that you have everything included with the book sold at the college bookstore. You can usually find the info at the online bookstore.

Linda

Most of the time they tend to be the exact same as the US editions. In one of my statistics classes, a guy had one of them, and it was identical except that the problems weren't in the same order. So problem number 5 in our book could be problem number 12 in his. Whenever we were assigned homework, he had to check somebody else's book to see what number he really should be doing to have the same problem done.

So if your kids end up using an IE book, just make sure they check stuff like that with a friend. It is well worth the small hassle to save a great deal of money.