Menu

Handwriting for Second Graders

nova mama

I am not pleased with DS7's handwriting. He CAN write neatly. I think I've seen it. But usually a letter or two ends up below the lines, they look kind of smashed, there isn't always sufficient space after the period, etc. I do point this out while he's writing. We already do lots of writing (WWE, plus narration for science and history), so I'm reluctant to add to it with a handwriting program. Will it just get better with more practice?

I don't know, but we have the same problem with our 2nd grader. When she wants to have nice handwriting, she will. But mostly she doesn't care and it looks like a 4 yr old wrote it. She's working from the HWOT 2nd grade book and hates it (she calls it Handwriting with tears).

I don't know whether we should ask her to re-do careless work or let her drop handwriting because she can print nicely when she wants, or maybe even start her on cursive (which she wants) or calligraphy (which she really, really wants) because she is really motivated...

I don't know, but we have the same problem with our 2nd grader. When she wants to have nice handwriting, she will. But mostly she doesn't care and it looks like a 4 yr old wrote it. She's working from the HWOT 2nd grade book and hates it (she calls it Handwriting with tears).

I don't know whether we should ask her to re-do careless work or let her drop handwriting because she can print nicely when she wants, or maybe even start her on cursive (which she wants) or calligraphy (which she really, really wants) because she is really motivated...

Sometimes I ask him to re-write, but then we get trapped in constant erasing and re-writing, which neither of us likes. Are you seeing any improvement with HWOT? I looked at a sample lesson and cringed when I saw that it includes making up sentences using the featured letter. DS7 despises work like that. I don't mind making him do work he doesn't like, as long as there's a benefit.

I think the HWOT has taught her a good way to form letters, I think she just doesn't care enough to try and maybe doesn't have developed enough fine motor skills for it to come easily without trying. I find that erasing and re-writing only make her (and me) more frustrated. So I don't.

I guess I try to focus on the skill being learned rather than expect correction of everything. For instance, if she's struggling to learn how to spell a word, I'm fine to correct her and ask her to fix a mispelled word, but I avoid focusing on bad handwriting... Or if the focus is handwriting, I'll definitely have her re-do poor handwriting, but I try to ignore the punctuation (or whatever)... Once mastered, though, I have to say that I do have higher expectation and that's where the problem is.

We're almost done with grade 2 HWOT and going to try the HWOT Can-do print in January. It looks like it includes some grammar and vocabulary work along with a focus on good writing. She perceives the HWOT to be 'babyish' and I"m hopeful that this text (aimed at 5th grade still in need of handwriting help) will be just the thing.

I'll let you know if it's any good!

I have a 1st grader ds and I try to remind him to write well, but I only really make him focus on it really well for his writing program - Zaner-Blozer. I don't want other subjects to go bad by saying too much about his hand-writing. I think it's just going to take time for their skill of hand-writing and their skill of other things to click together. It's a lot of stuff. I think as time goes on his writing will naturally get better and better.

I'm in the same boat with my 3rd grade dd. She's a leftie, and I don't know if that makes a difference, but she really doesn't care if her handwriting is neat or not. We started cursive with HWOT after I finally gave up trying to get her to print neat. We're just a few lessons into it, so I don't know if it will make a difference or not yet.

I am not pleased with DS7's handwriting. He CAN write neatly. I think I've seen it. But usually a letter or two ends up below the lines, they look kind of smashed, there isn't always sufficient space after the period, etc. I do point this out while he's writing. We already do lots of writing (WWE, plus narration for science and history), so I'm reluctant to add to it with a handwriting program. Will it just get better with more practice?

I think it will... my 2nd grader had horrible printing. As long as I could read it I let it go. But did have times I asked her to focus on her writing. We started cursive this year and her cursive is rough, **but** her printing has soared to new levels! I thought her brother (who has excellent writing) had printed her work, but it was her! So, I think time and not too much focus on it will bring it around. Now we'll have to work on cursive, but she's just learning to form all her letters so I'm not requiring her to write anything in cursive yet... much less correcting it for neatness. For her it's important for me to praise as much as I can up front or she will refuse to write. By the way... I wouldn't always recommend waiting for printing to be "perfect" before starting cursive. Some children have an easier time with cursive....

DD's handwriting has really improved since switching to Zaner-Bloser. I was using Getty-Dubay, and more recently trying to combine handwriting with other subjects, like spelling or grammar by using StartWrite. Focusing on handwriting with ZB has been much better. I also think that considering a program like Writing Tales is for 3rd or 4th grade, and that PS kids do a ton of writing, that doing both WWE and handwriting is not too much.

Sorry that you are having a hard time with Handwriting Without Tears. I used it to teach my son cursive in third grade. We liked the approach. I looked at a lot of other styles and thought that they emphasized too much curliques and the HWOT style was more like clearer printing. We liked the simplicity of the line drawings and the friendly approach. The end result is very similar to DK books teaching handwriting in England.

To those having difficulties, did you get the teacher's guide as well? It explains the approach, which is a little different than just using the workbook. Also, I wonder if it would be helpful to get children's hand muscles working with some manipulatives, like Legos or small toys. But I also think that good handwriting takes a long time to improve.

Anyway, when my son sees other kids' handwriting that isn't so good he has said, "I guess their mom just didn't spend time helping them learn good handwriting like you did."

Anyway, when my son sees other kids' handwriting that isn't so good he has said, "I guess their mom just didn't spend time helping them learn good handwriting like you did."

I congratuate your son for his penmenship mastery! :001_smile: Some kids just do not have good handwriting and it will follow them their entire lives. But it doesn't mean that someone wasn't trying to correct it or even they themselves haven't tried hard enough. As an adult with less than perfect printing having to teach (and relearn) printing, my fast penmenship has only slightly improved. (thank you magic C bunny! LOL!)

I have spent a lot of time with both my DS and DD. I wish more time and practice was the answer! We use HWT (and the teacher manual) and while there was some improvement, they are just not very good at handwriting when it is taken outside HWT.

My DS builds with Legos on a daily basis. I have to remind him that he has other things to play with. So I'm running out of options with him. We'll be moving into 2nd grade book soon so hopefully he'll improve with more practice.

DD also has fully developed fine motor skills. She honestly writes just like her father! So I think she's just going to not have great handwriting. She's practicing cursive but there's not much improvement there either.

I'm just saying that some people's mothers are really trying. But God just didn't give the children that gift. We aren't giving up on practice, I'm just not going to keep drilling the issue. Maybe typing lessons are in order? :D

I'm in the same boat with my 3rd grade dd. She's a leftie, and I don't know if that makes a difference, but she really doesn't care if her handwriting is neat or not. We started cursive with HWOT after I finally gave up trying to get her to print neat. We're just a few lessons into it, so I don't know if it will make a difference or not yet.

My daughter is a leftie too... I'd love to blame her poor handwriting on that. But I also think she's a bit flaky when it comes to taking care with her work. On the other hand... she's not yet 8 years old. It might be that my expectations are just a little too high.

I'm just saying that some people's mothers are really trying. But God just didn't give the children that gift. We aren't giving up on practice, I'm just not going to keep drilling the issue. Maybe typing lessons are in order? :D
:iagree:DDs friend who is the same age has better handwriting than me. I have tried and tried. I would love to have beautiful handwriting. I can't. :confused:

We already do lots of writing (WWE, plus narration for science and history), so I'm reluctant to add to it with a handwriting program.

I offer my son the choice between doing his copy work very well, or his GWG very well, or some handwriting work in ZB. He picks, and the other work is watched with half an eye.

It sounds as if you're really trying to think of lots of ways to teach handwriting. That's great! I didn't mean to imply at all that any one was not a good parent because their kids were struggling with handwriting. Sorry.

Handwriting takes a long time to develop. I had to struggle with how long it took for my son to not only take handwriting seriously, but to improve at it. He's now 10 and realizes how important it is for others to read what he writes. Along those lines, it might be helpful to have your family and adult friends try to read their handwriting. Eventually they'll understand that handwriting is about communicating ideas and that clear handwriting will get their ideas across better. The other reason to teach cursive, as teachers have explained to me, is so that kids can read cursive, which is important, too.

I didn't start HWT in cursive with my son until he was 8. Your DS is 7. Things take time. My DS began typing before he had decent handwriting because he just enjoyed being on a laptop more and figured out that typing could be a good way to communicate. As I've mentioned elsewhere, we used the SpongeBob typing program.

It sounds as if you are really trying. Keep going! You'll be fine.

I offer my son the choice between doing his copy work very well, or his GWG very well, or some handwriting work in ZB. He picks, and the other work is watched with half an eye.

I can see the value in that. Let history time be for history, and a little extra time if necessary for handwriting. If something looks totally crazy during our narration time I'll ask him to re-write. But it's probably better to let him focus on one thing at a time.

Thanks for your input everyone!