Menu

Math manipulatives for fractions?????

Stacy in NJ

You can try fraction circles (have no idea if that is what the MUS overlays are). I googled fraction circles and found some to print out. We printed out circles divided into halves, thirds, fourths, sixths, eighths, and twelfths I think. I printed two copies of each and we left one whole and cut the other up into pieces of pie. Dd colored each whole pie a different color, so sixths were orange and twelfths were red, etc. Once all of that preliminary work was done, you can use the pieces of pie to see that 4/6 is the same as 2/3. You can illustrate what is going on when add thirds and fourths. We played around with them the first week or so of starting fractions and I think it helped dd visualize it all. Fractions were actually easier for her than some of the other things we've studied.

I'll say upfront that I am, as a devoted fan of RightStart, biased . But personally I like fraction "bars" much better than fraction "circles". I just think it is much easier to see and understand the differences in size. You could make this manipulative easily enough at home with cardstock, but they do sell magnetic and wooden ones if you prefer. They also have a fractions game pack with cards and instructions. I can't offer you a review on that, but thought I'd mention it.

http://activitiesforlearning.com/fractionmagnet.aspx

http://activitiesforlearning.com/fractiongamesboxed.aspx

I'm curious why you don't like the MUS overlays, as I've found in my experience with them and several other fraction manipulatives that the MUS overlays are by far the most clear physical representation of the concepts you're wanting to illustrate.