Menu

Curriculums/Resources that also incorporate Christian views and character building?

Dianne-TX

I am really seeing a need for us to have character training incorporated into our resources. Which resources do you know of that do this and are good, educational resources as well. I'm thinking along the lines of Answer in Genesis for science, Bob Jones, Abeka, etc., but I don't want to limit it to "boxed" curriculums. What else is out there? Thanks!

Thanks. I do like this and will have to look at it. I would like other subjects to include more of a Christian viewpoint and have character weaved throughout. I've heard about KONOS, but it looks like a lot is involved. I also know that Mystery of History incorporates biblical history with secular history. This one, though, is a good recommendation for literature.

We use Heart of Dakota and have used My Father's World (as Crystal already mentioned) for these purposes and have been pleased overall.

Edited to say: We are using Bigger Hearts for His Glory this year and I appreciate how Carrie has interwoven history with character traits and Bible. For example, she has them studying Benjamin Franklin with the character trait of thriftiness along with appropriate Proverbs and discussion questions. It's been a real blessing. :-)

Edited by angela&4boys

This is far from an entire curriculum, but have you considered using the McGuffey Readers in your homeschool? They are definitely Christian, and definitely heavy on moral lessons/character building; it's more "shown" than "told" in the sense that the characters in the story who show good character are rewarded in the end, while those who show bad character are punished. Even much of the poetry in the early readers is laden with character-building morality lessons. For instance, my ds just read yesterday a poem about Lazy Ned who was too lazy to pull his sled uphill after sliding down--the conclusion is that the person who won't make the effort in as small a matter as pulling the sled back uphill will never make the effort in a greater matter either--and will be the worse for it.

We're re-reading these now. Not explicitly Christian, but old-fashioned and certainly easy to adapt that way.

We like the books from Lamplighter Publishing. They tend to be a little more "real" than most books published now, so I always pre-read but with two in the logic stage we're at the stage where the harder issues they cover are fine.