Menu

How to build up immune system??

This is the 3rd time in 4 months that I have been sick. I need some ideas to stop this cycle.

My family got the flu in Sept. it was miserable but we got over it with out needing any prescriptions.

I got a kidney infection in late Nov. 2 rounds of Cipro and it cleared up.

I just got back from the doc with prescription for antibiotic to treat a sinus infection.

What is up with this?? I generally do not get sick like this. We usually go 2 or 3 YEARS without meeting our deductible and I've met it in less than 3 MONTHS. The doc said he thought I was just "run down" immunity wise and needed to build back up, but he didn't have a clue how. "If I knew that, I'd be able to retire rich!" he said. So, there must be something I can do to improve my chances of staying healthy.

I already take fish oil and we eat a quality balanced and varied diet. I limit sweets, but this time of year I was planning on baking cookies and such. Guess I could still bake them, just make sure everyone eats them and not me!

So, great hive mind, give me your best remedies for better health!!

Guest jennybee

*I am not a doctor and I am sure that is where I should start! :)

I have found in my families experience that once you start having antibiotics they destroy your flora in your system and can weaken your immune system. I see a very advanced nature path that uses a VEGA machine. I have found acidophiles and colostrum valuable at repairing the intestines and strengthening immune system after harmful antibiotics. In the winter I cannot say how much Vitamin C (rose hips or bioflavinoids 1000 mg) combined with Panothetic acid (a form of Vitamin B) I stock and rediliy administer at the onset of the first symptoms of a cold. Vitamin D is excellent for fighting the FLU, I also use Live yougert for younger children and adults for that matter. While I have years of family experience it might be helpful for you to read Dr. Mercola at Mercola.com.

Raising a family is difficult and your health is really so important. Best wishes in your search for the truth in Life and wellness.

My understanding is that in addition to a quality diet, plenty of rest, and plenty of exercise, the following strengthen the immune system:

Probiotics (the best-studied brands are Align, Culturelle, and Theralac--see Prevention magazine's website)

Fish oil

Vitamin D

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon!

My understanding is that in addition to a quality diet, plenty of rest, and plenty of exercise, the following strengthen the immune system:

Probiotics (the best-studied brands are Align, Culturelle, and Theralac--see Prevention magazine's website)

Fish oil

Vitamin D

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon!

:iagree: I get my probiotics from eating lots of yogurt (homemade), and I take fish oil and D3. Exercise and getting adequate sleep seem to make a big difference for me. I have also been trying to do saline rinses after I have been in public. I'm not sure if they are keeping me from catching things, but I have had less nasal dryness than usual, so I am more comfortable. I have also been putting "simmer pots" on to keep the whole house a bit less dry.

Have you been getting enough sleep? I was like that about 6 years ago, constantly getting sick without apparent reasons. Looking back, it was very clear that it came from lack of sleep(ds was a very poor sleeper, and I got so sleep deprived that I could fall asleep instantly if I just sat down to relax. My health improve gradually as he grew older and I got more sleep.

Now I am rarely sick. I take a multivitamin,

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Synergy-Once-Daily-Multi-Vitamin-Version-3-60-Capsules

a probiotic,

http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-Primadophilus-Bifidus-90-Vegetable-Capsules

and bee propolis

http://www.vitacost.com/YS-Organic-Bee-Farms-Propolis

I believe the probiotic and bee propolis make a big difference.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I also think antibiotics do a number on our immune systems, sometimes it takes a while to erase the bad effects.

This year I haven't had a single cold when my kids have. I've been taking acidophilous and garlic daily, trying to limit sugar. The only vitamins I take are one of my kid's gummi vites a day. I am a small person and eat fairly healthy so this is enough for me.

I started taking acidophilous after antibiotics a few years ago and it has really helped to get my body back on track quicker.

I have heard about 2 things that are supposed to boost our immune systems.

1. I read in Natural Health Magazine that jumping on a trampoline for 10 minutes a day stimulates our endocrine gland to pump up our lymphatic system which then strengthens our immune system. I have been jumping on my trampoline with my kids.

2. I watched the movie The Beautiful Truth which talked about juicing preventing all sorts of diseases. We don't get sick very often, but now I want a juicer for Christmas.:)