Menu

Would you consider Jentezen Franklin to be a prosperity gospel preacher? (CC)

I ask because our pastor told the congregation today that he plans for us to participate in Jentezen Franklin's 21 day fast in Jan. It sounded a whole lot like prosperity gospel type of reasoning... but I've never heard of the guy before.

I have his book ordered through our library, but in the meantime - any thoughts from those with experience? It was semi difficult to see much of substance from his website or YouTube videos (all of which seemed to be advertising if you ask me).

Yes, I would.

And, I found this on his site:

Additional Benefit! When you commit to regular automated support of this ministry by making a one-time pledge of $360 or more or by pledging a recurring gift of $30 or more, you receive a 20 percent discount on Jentezen Franklin resources. (Pledge amounts noted in U.S. currency.)

:glare:

In my interpretation, the Bible does call us to occasionally fast for various reasons, however IMO, it does not call us to all do it the same way (by sacrificing the same things) or at the same time. That alone would send up some flags for me. The Bible also speaks to not moping around and letting everyone else know you are fasting, which also tends to make me think of it as more of a private matter between the person and God and not so much a group thing.

Be sure to take time to get clear direction from the Holy Spirit on this and on how you should participate. In my personal experience, the times I have fasted when I felt pressured to do so always ended up with me getting sick. The times I did it when I felt called by God and not by people, I did fine and felt great. Could be lots of reasons, but that is my experience.

Money does seem to be a big thing with him. When a friend was looking into to joining his church, she was required to bring in her W2 so she could be assessed her contribution. Maybe this is common, but I'd never heard of it.

Lawana

:ohmy::svengo:

No stinkin' way! That's crazy!

Money does seem to be a big thing with him. When a friend was looking into to joining his church, she was required to bring in her W2 so she could be assessed her contribution. Maybe this is common, but I'd never heard of it.

Lawana

smiley.php?text=You%27ve%20got%20to%20be%20kidding%21&smiley=unsure&fontcolor=000000&ss=0&font=&shadowcolor=&signcolor=&ext=.gif

I've been in church a long time, and have never heard of such a thing!

Lawana

Odd that this isn't a HUGE GLARING RED FLAG for more people?? (I'm talking about those in his congregation, not anyone HERE.)

:confused:

• 13 years later...