Menu

Talk to me about Singapore Science, please

extendedforecast

I have been trying to do Science the WTM way, but it just isn't getting done regularly. I am homeschooling three children, I have a one-year-old who needs a lot of attention, and my DH works from home :glare: (we get SO much more done when he is out running errands). My plan is to start all over in Science with new Science curricula in January. For my 1st grader and 3rd grader I plan on using Mr. Q's Elementary Life Science along with the many science encyclopedias we already own. I was thinking about Singapore Science for my 5th grader. I tried searching this forum but couldn't find much info about placement, nor what I would need to purchase. I'm looking for logic stage Life Science/Biology. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cindy

We are currently using My Pal's are Here. It is a traditional science program and there is a smattering of the various science disciplines. I would place your 5th grader in 5-6. We find the workbook and activities to be challenging. We are able to most of the experiments with basic lab supplies that I purchase as we go. It helps that we have a gas range. I like MPH as it gives my kids a basic science curriculum with lots of emphasis on higher thinking skills.

We are currently using My Pal's are Here. It is a traditional science program and there is a smattering of the various science disciplines. I would place your 5th grader in 5-6. We find the workbook and activities to be challenging. We are able to most of the experiments with basic lab supplies that I purchase as we go. It helps that we have a gas range. I like MPH as it gives my kids a basic science curriculum with lots of emphasis on higher thinking skills.

Thanks for your response. Two spin-off questions:

1. There are four texts in the MPH 5/6 series. Should I plan on going through one text per semester? I could do Cycles and Systems for 5th grade and Energy and Interactions for 6th grade if that's the case. Or I could get all four texts and pick and choose among them the topics we'd like to cover.

2. Are the texts meant to be used in a specific order?

Cindy

I am using this with my twins for science this year. We are finishing up Cycles now, and we will start Systems in January. This is a great science program, and my children seem to be enjoying it. My feeling is that you need to work through the program in order because several of the topics are related. For example we studied human reproduction after plant reproduction, and the lessons related to what had been learned in the plant unit. If we had skipped around we would have missed some necessary knowledge.

So.. I am just loving Singapore Math.... Is there anyone who is a Christian..... with a Conservative Worldview... that could tell me if I would be able to use this??

Carrie

I feel I would qualify as you described. We have been very pleased and I use 3/4 with my 3rd grader and 5/6 with my 5th grader. I was even more impressed with the Cycles 5th grade level when they made a point in the human reproduction section to say that life begins at fertilization.

We have not found anything objectionable. We have completed Cycles and are currently working on Systems.

Blessings,

Angela

I only have the tm for the activity guide for the First Edition. Initially I order the guide for the text but found there wasn't enough in it to keep it. The activity guide tm has answers to question and so information on how to conduct the activities. My knowledge of southeast Asian biology is very poor and that of biology is not much better and the tm was helpfu. As for the workbook the answers come with it.

To piggyback: is the teacher's guide needed as well?

I do not have a Teacher's guide for either 3/4 or 5/6. While, I think it would be helpful for the Activities I have heard it is more geared toward a classroom setting and it is SOOO expensive! I have had luck going to the forum at http://www.singaporemath.com (the have a science section) and getting questions answered there. The homework workbook and Thinking Skills workbook both have answers in the back.

Blessings,

Angela