Menu

Preschool help

Hi,

I have 4 kids and my youngest will be 3 in a few weeks. He has never formally done school. I did buy the Abeka nursery books that he colored sometimes for "school" when he wanted school work with the big kids.

Most of the time he does Montessori style exercises with motor skills. He has finished the Abeka "coloring" pages and is asking for schoolwork with the big kids. I tried the HOD LHTH with him but he got bored with the repitition around letter F. It did the same thing every week for every letter and number and such.

He is very smart and knows his letters and sounds, colors, and can count some already. He isn't ready to jump into the next Abeka program and I have looked at a lot of preschool programs from Landmark Freedom, Abeka, Christian Liberty Press, Covenant Home...

He isn't ready for a 4 yr. old program, but seems to know all the 3 year old programs offer. He just wants to come into the kitchen table with the other kids for about 20-30 minutes and then go back to playing happily. It seems to keep him happy to have his "school work" and it keeps our school running smoothly for the big kids without him being upset.

What would you guys suggest for a little one that just wants to be like the big kids?

I got the Timberdoodle Preschool curriculum package that they just put together. I absolutley love it and so do my 4 year old and even my 2 year old. It is just fun. My son who can be difficult and hard to please said those wonderful words every homeschool mom longs to hear, "Can we keep doing this--this is so fun!" You may not want to buy the whole thing but I liked the choices they made. There is a little bit of everything and all really good stuff.

Stacey

http://littlecitykids.com/approach/index.php?category_id=4633

It's free and there are TONS of ideas here :)

Sometimes I let my youngest color the pages left over from older ds. IOW, if there were pages we skipped, then I save them for younger ds and he gets to 'do' big kid work. Also, I bought two wipe-off books from Walmart. One is the ABCs and one is numbers. As long as he colors in crayon they're reusable, and as I remember they were very cheap.

hth

We love the R&S ABC workbooks here too. My dd started them shortly before she turned 4, and is still working on them now at 5.5. She does a page or two a day.

I also 2nd the wipe/on wipe off type books for tracing letters and numbers and such. We have a get ready for school one and a math get ready for school one. They have been used a lot w/both of my girls.

Also, when my youngest was 3, we bought some fisher price preschool workbooks that she loved. We would pick them up at dollar stores and the like.

Maybe some of the Kumon books - they have reading/writing books and maze books, plus cutting, coloring , pasting fine motor skills books. They would be easy to add in and he could choose which he wanted to do.

I also like the pacing of the BJU K math book. Plus the Explode the Code workbooks are good for phonics if you think he is ready for a little more challenging seat work.