Menu

Teacher gifts?

If one or more of your children are in a school, do you give a christmas gift to their teacher? If so... what kind of gift? Also, if there are a few teacher aids in the classroom, do you get something for them too? Not sure what the social protocol is here.

Thanks!

I give Target gift cards to my son's special education teachers and assistants. We are on a budget, but I give $20 to each teacher and therapist and $15 to the assistants. I had heard $25 was the highest money amount you should give a teacher? Not sure.

It is a stretch for our budget this time of year, but what they do day in and day out for my son is priceless. And we include a very heartfelt note with my son's signature included.

Edited by LNC

I usually buy an educational game for the classroom...around/under $10. Blink, Set, Professor Noggin, etc. I've also done recess equipment or books. I also give a little personal something--like a bag of chocolates or mug w/hot cocoa or candle. I give the teacher's aid the personal item, too.

I also have my kids write a note of appreciation for all of their teacher's hard work.

Mine aren't in school, but for dance teacher, gymnastic coach, speech therapist, etc, I make a little package with a small box of truffles & fancy hot chocolate mix or coffee sampler. There's a small candy store in town that's all gourmet, and I just go in & have her put little bags together - usually comes to about $8 each. Then I make dc write the gift tags and give at the last class before Christmas.

This year we're giving handmade candles from a booth at the Holiday Market. They are great candles. Inexpensive, beautiful and they burn a long time.

In the past we've given gift cards (book store, teacher supply store, craft store, coffee), ornaments, flowers, cute socks, chocolates and/or cookies (to those we knew would enjoy them), mittens, beeswax candles, small picture frame.

We always accompany the gift from the family with a handmade card and a small handmade gift (bookmark, ornament or jingle bell necklace) from the child(ren) they teach. If we've got a photo of the child with the teacher we include that with the card. I really think that's the best part, for the child to give and the teacher to receive. :)

Cat

I remember my mom used to give my teachers something she'd picked out from an Avon catalog or some stationery... something like that.

My kids take a science class once a month and we gave their teacher a box of chocolates. If I'd had time to put more thought into it, I might have gotten something from the Hallmark store...

My son's basketball coach gets a gift card from the whole team at the end of the season.