Menu

Letter vs anumber grades--equivalency?

Could someone please give me a quick equivalency between letter and number grades for high school? Some parents have asked me to grade their students English essays but while I have a gut feeling for letter grades, I'm not sure what the equivalent ranges are in numerical scores (for high school--I've taught at university, but am not sure the equivalencies are the same).

Thank you.

I think most standard high school classes use:

90-100 A

89-89 B

70-79 C

60-69 D

below 60 F

However, some classes and schools skew higher such that 93-100 A; 85-92 B; etc. I've even seen some English classes where grades are given on a 5 point scale: 5-A+; 4.8-5 A; 4.5-4.7 A-; etc.

Is this what you're looking for?

It was always under 60% for failure in my schools. Of course, that may have changed from the "olden days" of my high school years. I know that the parents in our co-op consider anything in the 60's a grade of D which translates to a lot of requests for extra credit work in my classes. So I think most parents would consider below 60% to be failing.

I do remember, though, that Singapore math had a very unique grading scale which gave anything over about a 75% a grade of an A - that was hard to wrap my mind around.

Hi Cynthia,

Is that pretty standard for high school--that under 60% is a failure? I thought it was still 50% for a pass. ??

Maybe this is a Canadian/US difference? Even back in the dark ages, below 70 was an F at my Catholic school and under 60 was an F in public.

Barb

Maybe this is a Canadian/US difference? Even back in the dark ages, below 70 was an F at my Catholic school and under 60 was an F in public.

Barb

It is a state to state difference. I'm from California (90-100 is A), started homeschooling in Virginia (94-100 was A), and in SC (93-100 is A). If you do a google search on your state's grading scale, it should come up. Also, you can search for a weighted scale, since honors classes have a higher grade point.