Menu

If you wanted to cut hormones out of your diet...

What would you prioritize?

For ex, I figure meat & milk are #1. I don't drink milk at all, but for the dc--dd2 has been having some minor issues, & dd6 is getting close enough to the age that some girls are developing that I'm feeling a sudden urgency on this issue. (I realize that if it's an issue, it's likely too late, but...?)

So I figured I"d buy less milk & meat, but safer quality. Anyway...there's organic milk & organic hormone-free milk. There's organic yogurt & organic hormone-free yogurt. W/ regard to hormones, does organic mean *anything*? There's almost as big of a price difference between the organic & the h-free as there is between the store brand & organic. :001_huh:

What about eggs? Anything I'm not thinking of? I figure we could just cut cheese out or down, I stuck w/ the usual cheapy eggs, & I got some plain organic hormone-free yogurt for the probiotics.

But oh my gosh, we can't do that every week. :w00t:

We buy meat from grassfedbeef.com and drink almond milk or raw organic milk for these reasons and others (my kids have beef and milk allergy but not to grassfed beef or raw milk ) . We did that since we found out one of my sons is in the autism spectrum , very mildly affected , probably Aspergers .

Edited by blessedmom3

A lot of non-organic companies are doing hormone free milk now--I know Publix does, if you happen to have those nearby. There's a dairy near us that doesn't do hormones or antibiotics, but they don't advertise it on the label; you have to call them and ask. They're more expensive than store brand milk, but much less expensive than organic. Also, it's my understanding that any milk labeled organic has to be free of artificial hormones.

We eat only organic grassfed buffalo, and organic free-range chicken, but both are locally raised. The chicken I buy 12 packages of frozen boneless breasts every other week all summer, eat some, and keep the rest so we have access to clean chicken all winter long. The buffalo is available year-round at our local natural foods co-op, so I don't make special plans to buy it in bulk, plus we don't eat as much of it anyway.

If you know other natural foodie types, ask around to see if you can find someone who sells raw milk, which is better for you all the way around. We buy local (kinda--within 75 miles) hormone-free but not organic milk. This state doesn't allow the sale of raw milk for human consumption, so you have to buy it as "pet milk," and the guy who sells it around here is hard get in touch with; basically, it's a pain, and we've no milk issues, so hormone-free is good enough for us.

If you eat butter, that's an important thing to buy clean, as hormones are stored in the fat, so butter would have a high hormone concentration, as would cream. The lower fat your milk/milk product, the lower the hormone load. I buy my cheese and butter from Azure Standard, and it's hormone free; you could see if they deliver to where you are... :)

Edited by Caitilin
added link

Well if you watch, Krogers often has their organic milk marked down when it is about to expire. I just got 1/2 gallons for $1.50 each. We made ice cream, but you could just as easily freeze the milk. My dd doesn't drink milk btw. We use soy milk occasionally, but she eats fruit for breakfast. Obviously she takes calcium. Nope, no cheese. Got a ton of butter on sale when it was to date too. You just have to go look for those sales. We do eat yogurt, and that I wouldn't buy old as the bugs die with time.

We have an amish/bulk goods store near us that carries all kinds of almost-organic stuff. Maybe you have a store like that near you? Suppose not, or you wouldn't be asking this.

As far as prioritizing, you need the Safe Shopper's Bible. Maybe your library has it. It tells you how to prioritize on everything.

If it makes you feel any better, I'll tell you something I read a long time ago: God knew we were going to get exposed to all this stuff, and He gave us livers that can detoxify it. In other words, do what you can and move on. They'll be fine.