Menu

Tell me about gun/hunter safety classes...

DS 15 would like to learn to shoot a gun and possibly go hunting sometime. Dh has basic skills and has hunted (we live in the PNW where this is common) but he isn't what you would call a sportsman. I grew up in a hunting family and my father was a competitive marksman in his younger days....unfortunately, he has passed away.

Dh can teach the basics but I would like to see ds get a 'scripted' gun safety class. Kind of the difference between taking a driver's safety class and just learning to drive.

How do I find a reputable program and what do I look/ask for to make sure it is worth the effort? Dh will go with him.

You might check with the county. One of my boys just took a hunter's safety class through the county in October. I believe they require it here for kids over the age of 12 to get their hunting permit. DS is only 11, but wanted to take the class anyway & he did receive his permit. It was a two day class but 8+ hours each day and he learned A LOT about everything from gun safety to hunting laws to animal identification. It was very worthwhile!

We are in the PNW (Okanogan county) and my boys all took a class put out by the county this summer. It is a required class for anyone who wants a tag. It took around a week of classes followed by a test that you had to pass in order to receive your hunting license. All of my boys passed, they said most of it was common sense (and kinda boring) but you do have to know the specific laws.

Check with your local law enforcement. My dh took a gun safety class about a year ago from the city police dept. He appreciated that they helped everyone understand the actual laws on guns/gun ownership. The only thing they didn't do was actually fire their guns, but they recommended everyone do that a a local firing range.