Menu

Sewing without a foot pedal???

So I took my machine in to receive a quote for having it serviced if needed and a foot pedal and power cord ordered. I donated mine accidentally!!! to the Salvation Army in a box of other stuff and of course the workers never saw it.

$60 and a bad attitude by the sewing store owner and I am now the owner of a machine that somehow won't accept a foot pedal and I "need to use the button on the side to sew". The owner has "worked on Simplicity machines for years" has "never run into this problem" and says it "must be a faulty foot pedal".

He said I can "take my machine and leave if I don't want to pay for it". Of course I was wiling to pay for it, but I was very unsure a machine could even work without a foot pedal. Lo and behold he plugged the power cord in and showed me how to use the button instead of the foot pedal.

I haven't used it yet, but I'm so sad. Sewing - foot pedal. They go together!! Don't they??? How's this gonna work out?

ps

$60 for a power cord ($20 he said) and adjusting the tension. Needless to say I won't be returning to the store, unless I decide to step up and demand he reorder another pedal. He may just throw something at me this time though!!

Edited by momee

I have a Janome and I NEVER use the foot pedal. I actually laughed to myself about it today when I found the pedal in an obscure box. My 8 year old has been sewing for 2 years using my machine and no pedal. :)

BE LIBERATED!!! GO PEDAL FREE!!! :)

ETA - I use the "go" button on my machine. It has a tiny lag so there's plenty of time to get your hands ready to sew. All my friends who I sew with love the lack of pedal. :)

Once upon a time, many home sewing machines were run by twirling a knob on the side! They were more portable than the foot pedal models, which needed a table and a belt. So, you're doing it old-school. Or something. :001_smile:

Sorry about your yucky experience, though. :glare:

My Viking sewing machine didn't have a foot pedal, either. It was odd at first, but I quickly got used to it.

My machine had a bar that slipped into the machine, and it was operated with my right knee by pressing against the bar. I don't know how a push button would work, though.

Edited by Michelle in MO