Menu

What math to use before CLE 1?

Quiver0f10

I had the same question. We're currently using MCP K for my 4yo, I've always found it very good for preK. With my other girls I followed up with Horizons K and then on to Saxon 2. However, I'm switching the older two to CLE and am giving some thought to starting my youngest there. I know we couldn't go straight to CLE 1 though. I'm thinking about looking at Saxon 1 for K and then going to CLE 1 for first. I look forward to hearing more ideas. I've never used R&S for math.

We are working through Horizons K, book 1 as well as BJU math K. (We won't be doing Horizons K, book 2. However, we will finish BJU K math.) My ds, 5, loves math and he is cruising through both of these wkbks. I plan on starting CLE math 100 in March 2010 just after his 6th birthday. I plan to move at a slower pace with CLE and I probably will add in Singapore or RS a few days per week.

My youngest will be in K next year and I am not sure what to use for math. I plan on CLE 1 for first. Thanks.

I just used the R&S Kindergarten workbooks...I think the math one is the C book. My son loved these...and the math was enough along with counting, number recognition and lots of playing with the older kids math manipulatives.

~~Faithe

I am interested in these suggestions because I am using CLE 1 with my first grader, and I think developmentally he just isn't ready for all the concepts. CLE is quite advanced - my accelerated third grader is in the 3rd grade book, and my more at speed 3rd grader tested into the second, so it makes sense that not all first graders will be ready for CLE 1, and I can't imagine all K students being able to do it at all (though I have had some who would have enjoyed it). I have been considering using Developmental Math books 2 and 3 to fill in the gap until my little one is ready to grasp all the concepts in CLE 1.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-19, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6