Menu

S/O of what age...when do you allow the child...

...to run in and do one of those little 5 minute errands?

At what age would you sit in the parking lot with the rest of the crew while sending the eldest (or whomever you deem competent) in to mail a letter, return a movie, pay for gas, etc. ??

I have/allow my nearly 11 yr old to do these things. Within my sight, not busy.

Last week, I allowed my 11 year old to run into Wal-Mart by himself for the first time.

My 15 year old does it on a regular basis, but she wasn't with me. I had two of my 6y/o's friends with me and didn't feel like hauling all 4 kids into Wal-Mart. I debated for a few minutes and finally shoved a couple of dollars into ds's hand, gave him very explicit instructions, and did not take my eye off the door until I saw him safely exit. (I will admit to being a little bit overprotective.);)

We live in a small town at the fringe of a large metro area. We don't have much crime here, and there is hardly anywhere to go in our town.

For about a year, I have let my kids run in to the grocery store and the drug store for me, two at a time. They have a 1 or 2 item "list", strict instructions, and usually come back promptly with the items and my change. The people who work at the stores know who they are because we've been there so much over the last 12.5 years.

I park right outside the drug store, and I have my car in drive and my eagle eye out for when they exit the grocery store so I can be right there before they reach the curb (I hover in the parking lot).

...to run in and do one of those little 5 minute errands?

At what age would you sit in the parking lot with the rest of the crew while sending the eldest (or whomever you deem competent) in to mail a letter, return a movie, pay for gas, etc. ??

I have/allow my nearly 11 yr old to do these things. Within my sight, not busy.

I started to allow (encourage) my son to make quick trips like these when he was 8.5 (and we had a new baby). He was only comfortable if he knew the store set-up and I was parked right outside. At 11 he's now very helpful with this sort of thing (and people wonder How I Manage with all three at home. I wonder how I would manage with out my oldest :))

I let my 10 year old dd return movies, library books, and mail letters in outside boxes that I can pull up pretty close to and watch her. I've even let my 7 yr. old return movies and mail letters this way, but I'm talking about so close that you could turn around and touch the car while you're putting the stuff in the box, lol. I let them do it because they ask to.

I would allow my 10 yr. old dd to run into the post office and purchase a book of stamps for me, if it wasn't crowded with people. We live in a small town outside a larger city, so this would be a small post office where the postal worker knows us by name.

Similar to Heather, if it is just an in and out, like dropping off library movies or something, around age 7. But it does depend on the location and the child. I wouldn't send mine in Wal-Mart until after age 10 or so (probably later than that). But I would send them in our small butcher shop or to go to another aisle in the market while I am in there too (age 9).

This thread makes me chuckle. You all probably think I'm a total laissez-faire, free'n'easy type Mom, what with me leaving the kids in the car and all, but I have only just started permitting my oldest to run this type of errand within the past few months.

He's, um, 13.5. ;) When we are in a store, I still make my 11-in-May ds hang on to the cart. Ha!

Nope, I totally understand. Some of the places we have to go to (our Wal-Mart and Blockbuster, for instance) are on the shady side of town. I wouldn't let my dc go into those stores (out of my sight) alone for anything in the world. Closer to our home, where we know more people and they know my dc, I will allow them to do more.

Ds10 bikes to the grocery store and buys his own zucchini (for his bread baking business). The store is about 2 miles away. He talks to me on a 2-way radio every few blocks.

He has been doing 1/2 of my grocery shopping for me since he was 8.

He does his own banking. Sometimes I'm in the bank doing my own banking. Sometimes I'm outside in the car. Sometimes I'm at home and he biked the 2 miles (it's near the grocery store) to do it himself.

My dd6 mails letters for me (running down a sidewalk about 1/2 a block away.)

She is starting to do some of my grocery shopping for me - she's not a good reader yet so I give her verbal instructions to get a green pepper for me etc.

She does her own checking out of books at the library and has recently started to ask the reference librarians for help on her own.

I haven't let my children do this yet(ages 10 and 7) but I've wondered about it when we are on the road and my 7 yo son has to go potty. But the 3 year old is asleep and I don't want to drag her out of the car to run in 7-11 or wherever.

Granted we live in a small town. But I have let my 7.5 yo son run into the post office, prepay gas, drop stuff off at the library (even make photocopies), drop off movies, even walk to the convenience store (rarely, and very close to our house AND they know him and us VERY well there). Am I crazy? Go ahead, tell me if I am, I can take it. Maybe I am?!?!

depending on the errand.....

5dc: 13, 10, 6, 4, and 2yo.

I'll let my 4yo drop movies in the drop box or mail in a mailbox. But she is very much a helpful Miss Priss, not a runner :)

My 6yo can go in and get me a soda and pay w/ my credit card at our local RaceTrac, but that's cuz I know all the clerks, he knows them, and we're all comfortable w/ the situation. ds thinks it's a blast, lol.

Since most of our transactions take place w/ my credit card [i can't cancel cash if i lose it, lol], they do very little actual buying. Lots of budgeting, lists, and cooking though. my 13yo does do a lot of errands that don't require me signing.

I won't send any kids into WalMart or another store that has them out of sight for very long. Pretty much the same rule as for leaving them in the car --in sight, time period, situation. We don't have much of anything w/in two miles of us except a gas station we never frequent.