Menu

camera recommendations

Does anyone have a recommendation for a digital camera that fits the following criteria:

-Under 150 (or at least can sometimes be found on sale for 150)

-Takes a picture quickly enough so that the smile isn't gone and the head is not turned before you get your shot

-Takes a picture well under "moving children" conditions

We have an Olympus, and it's pretty pitiful how often we just leave it in the drawer because it's pointless to try to get a good shot with it. We have pictures from 3 different events last year. That's it. And I've taken to letting my daughter play with it in the hopes that she will break it, LOL.

We just bought the Nikon CoolPix S620 because of a user review on Amazon from an experienced photographer that indicates that it does precisely what you are asking using only the "Fully Automatic" setting. This camera is right at your price point, but I bought it for less on a "Lightning Deal" today. The deal I got sold out in about 1 minute!

I'm not a photographer and I am tired of buying digital cameras that cannot take nice pictures except nature shots on a sunny day.

Since this was purchased as a Christmas present I don't think I will anything more useful than the Amazon reviewer before then. Good luck with your purchase. Please let us know what you choose!

Edited by RegGuheert

If I was in your shoes, I would get this: Canon PowerShot SD1200IS. It is $149 at Amazon. The Canon Powershot SD series cameras are excellent pocket cameras - they're small, fast, and take great pictures. I have an earlier model and have never regretted the purchase! There are a bunch of cameras in the SD series, but this one looks about right as far as price range and has good basic features as well. You can also get a free SD card if you purchase by 11/30.

I bought dd10 a Sony Cybershot w220 for her birthday last month. I love this little camera. It has great features, takes wonderful photos and is easy to use.

I found the best price then was at Office Depot for $159. I added a complete warranty for 40ish more dollars. Since it was for a 10yo...I wouldn't have bought her an expensive camera any other way. I would bet there are some better deals out for Christmas. I spent another $20 on a good memory stick and $10 on a case.