Menu

Homemade Turkey Noodle Soup

I boil the carcass til the meat starts to fall off, then take it out and remove what meat is left. I add carrott coins, celery, some noodles, salt, pepper and some poultry seasoning to taste. You can also put in some mushrooms. That's how we like it around here.

I boil the carcass til the meat starts to fall off, then take it out and remove what meat is left. I add carrott coins, celery, some noodles, salt, pepper and some poultry seasoning to taste. You can also put in some mushrooms. That's how we like it around here.

:iagree: Plus some garlic and onion. Yum.

Did you make your soup yet? I cook my bones in the crockpot overnight, so the broth is extra rich. If your broth isn't as tasty as you would like, add some chicken bouillon cubes. I season with sage, thyme, pepper and salt (if I don't use bouillon). Sometimes I saute the veggies (onion, carrot, celery) in a bit of oil before adding to the broth to make them really tasty. A handful of frozen peas is nice for color. So add some seasonings, taste, and add more if you need them. When you say *ahhhh*, it's finished! :)

We do this kind of soup too. I second the crockpot recommendation.

My rule of thumb has always been to add 6 to 8 cups of chopped veggies. Whatever I have on hand, usually broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, onion, tomatoes and mushrooms. Sometimes corn or green beans if I have them. I pile it all into my 8 cup measuring bowl until it is nearly full. Be careful to limit the proportions of the stronger tasting veggies like bell pepper or broccoli.

I make my own egg noodles and add them at the last minute.

If I don't have fresh herbs I use a dried Italian herbs mix.

Sauteing the onion, celery and mushrooms first really boosts the richness of the broth.

Really just throw in whatever your family likes best. Have fun.

Guest Virginia Dawn

In my turkey soup last night, I put: lots of onions, celery, garlic, carrots, salt, pepper, parsley, leftover chopped giblets and turkey, and crumbled dried thyme from my garden, when it tasted just right and the vegetables were tender, I added half a cup of rice and simmered till it was done. We ate it with "Cuban bread in an hour" that I got off the old board.

It depends on my mood but sometimes I will add curry powder to it while it is cooking just to give us a break from the left over feel. I also add coconut milk at the end. I will serve it over steamed rice. It makes a nice change for us.

I do this, too! I also make turkey-corn chowder using corn, potatoes, and some half-and-half. I have the carcass boiling away now for tomorrow, and have the meat I took off of it ready for tonight's turkey enchiladas. Leftovers are my favorite part of Thanksgiving.