Menu

I'm so glad I'm remodeling a kitchen to sell a house

because I am finding out everything I don't like in a kitchen :)

Granite is cold and every plate clacks. I move too fast for such a hard surface.

The glass cooktops show every smudge.

Light wood shows all the dirt.

Premade cabinets have dead space as you put them together like Legos.

Lazy Susans on the bottom will not hold my big tins of sugar and flour (too heavy).

Fancy pulls are not comfortable.

Big deep sinks make me bend way over to close.

I do like my nice new quiet hood, and the kitchen is "stunning". Hope it sells my house!

because I am finding out everything I don't like in a kitchen :)

Granite is cold and every plate clacks. I move too fast for such a hard surface.

The glass cooktops show every smudge.

Light wood shows all the dirt.

Premade cabinets have dead space as you put them together like Legos.

Lazy Susans on the bottom will not hold my big tins of sugar and flour (too heavy).

Fancy pulls are not comfortable.

Big deep sinks make me bend way over to close.

I do like my nice new quiet hood, and the kitchen is "stunning". Hope it sells my house!

We are doing the same thing -- do you have pictures? PLEASE!!!!!!! And, thanks - you make good points! BTW -- did you use something other than granite in your remodel, and if so, what? (Although having had corian, granite, laminate, I like granite -- I think that silestone might be my favorite, though).

You make a very good point! I just finished up our kitchen remodel, and love many of the things you are unhappy with:

I love my granite (but I'd had it before and knew I would).

Love my huge, single bowl, 15" deep sink.

Really like my fancy pulls, too.

Light wood does show the dirt. But then I know to clean it :D!

I hated our glass cooktop and it went out with the remodel.

Love our hood, too. The old one was useless, this one is ten times quieter and actually clears out the kitchen.

As for your tins not fitting, I drew up the new kitchen ahead of time and assigned every item to a location. Everything fit perfectly...until I got the big new 16 cup Cuisinart. :glare:

It's so important to really plan a kitchen around how you personally use it. Everyone is different and what works in one kitchen won't in another.

I hope your lovely new kitchen is a buyer's dream so you can get your dream kitchen in your new home!

The house we're in negotiation to buy has granite counters, stainless steel appliances, and white cupboards. All of which I hate! :001_rolleyes:

If I had to design my dream kitchen, I'd go with silestone, medium cupboards, and those appliances with wooden panels to make them blend into the cupboards. Those may not be "in" at the moment, but that's what I want :D

We just got Silestone in our kitchen. We had builder's grade laminate before that. I love the Silestone, but I do have to remember to be more gentle in placing things down. Evidently, I'm too fast and furious in cooking. I haven't broken anything yet, but I can definitely feel the difference when I set things down. I wonder if granite would be even harder?

You're selling your house? Now? Or in the near future? Wish I could buy it from you. I'd love it.

Hope to have it on the market in the spring. I want to be closer to work and hubby wants to be closer to the water. I'm eyeballing one he could watch the ferry dock all day.

I do love my house. But not the commute, and it is much more appropriate to a family your size than mine. :)