Menu

Can someone pls tell me about Nintendo DS?

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

DS9 has a PSII - has had it for about 4 years now, and we limit his time on it, and it has worked out well.

He has asked for a Nintendo DS. We were in Toys R Us last night getting gifts b4 the crush for grand-daughters (who are our kids nieces :D). B/C the store was not crowded, I spent time letting my kids walk around and look at stuff, and I tried to spend some time educating myself with the electronics -- but truly, I couldn't care less... :glare:let me walk around a model home and look at the window treatments and the way the designer has accessorized, and I will stay there for hours, but kids electronic toys.....not happening for me.

So, can someone here help me out: WHAT is a Nintendo DS? WHAT is a Nintendo DS lite? DS already has a Gameboy...does the DS replace the GameBoy?

I'm not running out buying anything, but I am curious and I am more comfortable if I have some information and insight from others about these things.

If you don't allow your kids to have these kinds of toys, I hear you - I am not asking to be talked into or out of something -- just need 'data.'

Thanks! :D

This is the order the DS was released: DS, DS lite, & now the DSi. My oldest has the DS lite and we are getting my daughter one for Christmas. They both had/have gameboys, so the DS is an upgrade. The DS lite is slimmer than the regular DS and has a backlite for better viewing. The DS lite will play both DS games as well as Gameboy cartridges (the small rectangle ones, not the older square ones), so he wouldn't have to give up his games. The DSi has a camera option, but I'm not sure if the games are interchangeable.

If you aren't opposed to buying used Gamestop has the DSlite on sale right now for $59. I'm going tomorrow to pick one up for my daughter.

This is the order the DS was released: DS, DS lite, & now the DSi. My oldest has the DS lite and we are getting my daughter one for Christmas. They both had/have gameboys, so the DS is an upgrade. The DS lite is slimmer than the regular DS and has a backlite for better viewing. The DS lite will play both DS games as well as Gameboy cartridges (the small rectangle ones, not the older square ones), so he wouldn't have to give up his games. The DSi has a camera option, but I'm not sure if the games are interchangeable.

If you aren't opposed to buying used Gamestop has the DSlite on sale right now for $59. I'm going tomorrow to pick one up for my daughter.[/QUOTE]

GAMESTOP is one of DS' favorite places! Thanks for the info -- I did not know that the Gameboy cartridges would still be usable -- excellent to know!

THANKS!:001_smile:

My kids love their ds games. They have had them since they wre first introduced. We do still limit the use of them but even so they have been worn ragged. They have asked for the new updated versions for Christmas and if I can find good deals we will do it. They are also awsome on trips. We also have a wii but they seem to like the handhelds better really. The kids could explain the techy stuff but it makes my eyes roll. Sorry not much help other than to say for us they are great.

My kids love their ds games. They have had them since they wre first introduced. We do still limit the use of them but even so they have been worn ragged. They have asked for the new updated versions for Christmas and if I can find good deals we will do it. They are also awsome on trips. We also have a wii but they seem to like the handhelds better really. The kids could explain the techy stuff but it makes my eyes roll. Sorry not much help other than to say for us they are great.

I appreciate any and all info -- no apology necessary -- I remember when the kids were into Leapsters -- we loved them too, so I know what you mean. After spending a Thanksgiving vacation with us in the OBX, my sister and her husband stopped at the walmart before their 8 hour drive home to buy one for their 5 year old dd. :D

I appreciate any and all info -- no apology necessary -- I remember when the kids were into Leapsters -- we loved them too, so I know what you mean. After spending a Thanksgiving vacation with us in the OBX, my sister and her husband stopped at the walmart before their 8 hour drive home to buy one for their 5 year old dd. :D

Ds9 has one that he bought with his own money. He goes through spurts of using it. I find it great when we are on a trip or have wait for a doctor or something. He has a Mario racing game that he loves. And some games will allow other kids to all play the same game on their individual DSs...with just one game! Make sense?

Ds9 has one that he bought with his own money. He goes through spurts of using it. I find it great when we are on a trip or have wait for a doctor or something. He has a Mario racing game that he loves. And some games will allow other kids to all play the same game on their individual DSs...with just one game! Make sense?

Believe it or not, yes, it makes sense! :) One of the boys in the fourth grade class that I taught last year, explained that same fact to me. I asked them 'WHY' go to a Nintendo DS.....I'm sorry to say I didn't pay that much attention to the nuts and bolts of his answer, my objective was to get him to tell me about something that he understood. But, now it makes sense.

And, yes, I agree.....on days when the kids and I are running around from errand to errand, I could KISS DS' Gameboy!

Also worth noting is that the new DSi doesn't play gameboy games. So if that is important to you then you need to get the DS. At the moment there don't seem to be any specific DSi games. You use the DS games on them. So apart from a few gimmicky features (camera and mic with some editing for both) they are much the same beast as far as I'm concerned.

What I really like about the DS is the networking feature. Over here, (and in lots of other places) Pokemon is a big game. Well, two DSes can network together, and the kids can exchange their pokemon from one game to another. The "SOCIAL" aspect :D of those game devices is not to be underestimaged.. It has helped my son fit into a couple of groups, just because he could help out on a few games.

I was going to post part of the same thing that Sandra did -- if you want to use Gameboy games, don't get a DSi.

That said, my kids did get a DSi for a long trip and their take is that it is speeder and better graphics and display than their old DS. They also are enjoying the (primitive) camera. So if you were buying new, and don't have Gameboy games, I'd definitely get a DSi.

We have a DS Lite that I bought used at Gamestop for Christmas 2 years ago. We actually have just one that all three of the girls share.

They love that it can play GBA games. They've bought all the GBA Pokemon games to play.

All the Pokemon games have been huge hits. Other favorites: Animal Crossing, all the My Sims games, Trace Memory, Nintendogs, Digimon (only one of the digimon games, but I don't remember which one it was).