Menu

What source do you use to find a book's reading level?

I've been trying to pick books for dd to use for reading practice (reading aloud to me) that are right at or a little above her reading level. I was using this website as a resource. Then I discovered the Lexile website and this chart for converting Lexile measures to grade levels.

Right now our reading practice book is The Mouse and the Motorcycle. I found it on that first leveled book list and it showed a reading level of 3.3. Then I looked it up on the Lexile website and it has a Lexile measure of 860L which puts it solidly at 5th grade level. :confused:

So which one do you think is more accurate? Or do you have a source that you like better?

I prefer lexile. It is more consistently accurate. Yes, I do agree that Mouse and the motorcycle is about a 5th grade level. It has some complex vocabulary in it.

At the school I work for we have the library completely lexiled and will only let children pick out books from their appropriate level. Before I started working there and went through the training (extensive) I was surprised at some of the levels but after working there I find it works REALLY well.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I've been trying to pick books for dd to use for reading practice (reading aloud to me) that are right at or a little above her reading level. I was using this website as a resource. Then I discovered the Lexile website and this chart for converting Lexile measures to grade levels.

Right now our reading practice book is The Mouse and the Motorcycle. I found it on that first leveled book list and it showed a reading level of 3.3. Then I looked it up on the Lexile website and it has a Lexile measure of 860L which puts it solidly at 5th grade level. :confused:

So which one do you think is more accurate? Or do you have a source that you like better?

I use the Scholastic Book-Alike search. Type the title in, hit the button and it tells you the level and others at that level. You can also ask for some slightly above or below that level. It put The Mouse and the Motorcycle at 4.1, so right in the middle. I don't know how accurate it is compared to the others.

At the school I work for we have the library completely lexiled and will only let children pick out books from their appropriate level.

I actually find this kind of alarming and very sad. Where is the encouragement to stretch?

DS started reading chapter books because he was interested enough in the topic of the first one to take on the challenge. Last year, he went from K to 5th grade reading level in a matter of weeks. Now he's reading beyond that and I believe it's because I never told him there was anything he couldn't read.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Not to speak for Janice here, but I think the idea is that you will have much better comprehension if you stick with books that are right about your reading level. That doesn't mean you couldn't stretch above and I'm sure the kids are, but if you stretch too far above you sacrifice comprehension and then you have a waste of time.

Not to sidetrack too far, but does that mean the teacher takes them to the library and let's each child browse books based on reading level? The librarian wouldn't know each kid's reading level unless the teacher told them, so I'm assuming that's the case, since there's a difference between grade level and reading/comprehension level. (sometimes a big difference)

Thanks for all of the responses. I just went over the reading list I had put together for dd for this year and discovered that 75% of the books are a higher reading level than I anticipated if you go by the Lexile measurements. The first book we read together for practice was Little House in the Big Woods. The list I was originally using put that at a higher reading level (4th) than the Mouse and the Motorcycle (3rd). So I was surprised at some of the complex words that came up as we were reading M&TM. I'm kind of glad that I didn't realize it was actually written at a 5th grade level because I never would have picked it for dd if I knew. We have one chapter left and she is doing really well with it. She can pronounce so many more of the words on her own now than she could when we started it, and really only needs my help with 2 or 3 on each page now.

Now I need to revamp my list! I am bookmarking the other sources that were suggested as well. I didn't realize that reported reading levels could vary so much, it is nice to have several websites to check when I am in doubt.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Not to speak for Janice here, but I think the idea is that you will have much better comprehension if you stick with books that are right about your reading level. That doesn't mean you couldn't stretch above and I'm sure the kids are, but if you stretch too far above you sacrifice comprehension and then you have a waste of time.

Well, I get this to a point. DS definitely does struggle with comprehension each time he moves up a level or two (I still do too, actually :D), but that seems like another part of the stretching process. Obviously you don't want a child reading at a first grade level only checking out fifth grade books that he truly can't read or comprehend but what about allowing that child to read a second grade book or even a vividly illustrated third grade book? I mean how many books can kids have out at a time anyway? If they can have out three, why not two from first grade and one more advanced? If five, why not 3 and 2? (Frankly, I will admit that even that would irk me a bit if this rule was applied to my DS last year as he was blossoming in his reading.) It just seems like a restrictive policy that would discourage advancement. In a school environment though, it wouldn't surprise me if that was an unstated goal.

ETA: Hmmm. I went back and read Janice's post and have to wonder what "appropriate level" means anyway. Grade or the child's testable reading level? I've heard stories from friends and on these boards of children not being allowed to check out books beyond their grade level, despite their reading ability and that is completely unacceptable.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I'm kind of glad that I didn't realize it was actually written at a 5th grade level because I never would have picked it for dd if I knew. We have one chapter left and she is doing really well with it. She can pronounce so many more of the words on her own now than she could when we started it, and really only needs my help with 2 or 3 on each page now.

It's so exciting to watch this growth, isn't it? :001_smile:

ETA: Hmmm. I went back and read Janice's post and have to wonder what "appropriate level" means anyway. Grade or the child's testable reading level? I've heard stories from friends and on these boards of children not being allowed to check out books beyond their grade level, despite their reading ability and that is completely unacceptable.

I have browsed around on the Lexile website a bit and I believe that children are tested and then assigned a measurement number, and are supposed to be reading books within a certain range above and below that number. But I would also like to know a bit more about this. My dd still loves reading her easy reader books (most of which are first grade level) even though she is comprehending well beyond that but I have no plans to keep her away from them.

I'm glad that there wasn't anyone keeping me to a certain level when I was in school. I would have been bored to tears, and probably would have ended up hating reading.

I've never looked at the lexile site before. I find it confusing as to why Anne of Green Gables, (seemingly unabridged versions) range from 990L to 850L :confused:

I actually find this kind of alarming and very sad. Where is the encouragement to stretch? >>>>

>>>>Not to speak for Janice here, but I think the idea is that you will have much better comprehension if you stick with books that are right about your reading level. That doesn't mean you couldn't stretch above and I'm sure the kids are, but if you stretch too far above you sacrifice comprehension and then you have a waste of time.>>>>

i.love.lucy explained it very well. Thanks :) And as a public school parent I have to say I get tired of all of the books that my girls bring home from school and 80% are way to easy or way too hard -- none are read which kind of defeats the purpose of picking a book from the school library. :(

These students are tested at the beginning of the school year and are given intensive phonics (O/G, wilson, Read Naturally, among several of the programs that we use and are trained in) and targeted comprehension classes. These classes have no more than 2-3 students in each and are grouped according to the decoding level (phonics) and according to their passage comprehension testing level.

Each teacher has a specific profile of programs things to work on with the individual student. In a phonics class one student might have Wilson while another has Read Naturally. They might each be in different Explode the Code Books, etc. There might be 3 different spelling lists because all 3 students are in a slightly different place. Of course, a teacher might get lucky and have students on the same spelling list :)

In comprehension class the class is grouped according to the passage comprehension level and a literature book that is challenging for the students is read aloud by the students facilitated by the teacher. The students get to "stretch" in a difficult book while getting assistance in applying the rules they already know and/or learning how to comprehend material (some of these kids can read any word on the page but have no idea as to the meaning of the passage). They also worked through individualized vocabulary.

The student library book levels are listed on the profile and the student and teacher goes to the library to choose an appropriate book. These levels are meant to be at a comfortable level for them to read to themselves at home.

After the first quarter (or upon request of the small group teachers) the students are all retested and given a modified profile with a new set of directions. New literature books are read, new library book levels are given, new workbooks and new students in your small group classes.

This is repeated throughout the school year no less than 3 to 4 times -- testing and regrouping, etc. so that all materials are exactly on the students level as they make progress (or plateau).

A lot of consideration is taken to make sure that there is a compatible small group classroom and yes they are multi-grade rooms. Even the larger classrooms (science/social studies/social skills) aren't totally broken down by grades as they are mixed, too depending on teacher and students.

Watching students go up 3 grade levels in a 3 month period of time is exciting. Two of the students in one of my comp classes had this happen during the first quarter of this year. Working with another student last year as he went up 5 grade levels in 10 weeks was truly amazing. Needless to say, no matter how frustrating some of the day to day stuff can be. I love my job.

Sorry to the OP for the tangent but to answer all of the questions it seemed easier to explain it this way.

Edited by Mandamom
typo

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Janice,

Thanks so much for taking the time to type all that out! It was very enlightening. It's good to hear that the kids are evaluated frequently during the year and that the teachers help them stretch. :001_smile:

My ds7 has just recently started to be able to read with any proficiency (yes!), and now I was wondering how to find books at his level.

I'm soooo glad you posted this thread! I didn't know anything like this existed and it's come at a perfect time. I've already gone on the site and found books for him.

Thank you, Hive!

I've never looked at the lexile site before. I find it confusing as to why Anne of Green Gables, (seemingly unabridged versions) range from 990L to 850L :confused:

I thought Anne would be higher. I did not ever read Anne (I know, I know:001_rolleyes:) and have been having my dd (who is in 4th) wait for them. I figured next year in 5th would be best. But she's reading and loving Island of the Blue Dolphins and that's a 1000L. And she loved the 4 or 5 Lemony Snicket's she's read and they are 1120L. I guess it's all relative and the good thing is to use the measures to find comparable books. My dd does love to read, but if she's pushed too far in her reading level, she tends to zone out and gets bored. For her free reading she is loving Emily Windsnap right now, and those are lower, like 670L.

My ds7 has just recently started to be able to read with any proficiency (yes!), and now I was wondering how to find books at his level.

I'm soooo glad you posted this thread! I didn't know anything like this existed and it's come at a perfect time. I've already gone on the site and found books for him.

Thank you, Hive!

I'm glad this discussion has been helpful to someone else besides me! I just love this forum. :D

Janice,

Thanks so much for taking the time to type all that out! It was very enlightening. It's good to hear that the kids are evaluated frequently during the year and that the teachers help them stretch. :001_smile:

:iagree:

Yeah, I don't understand that either. You would think that every version of the same book should have the same measurement.

I wonder if there are forwards or commentary or something else in the specific versions that are affecting their overall scores.