Menu

Corn Chowder help.

I've made a pot of corn chowder that I'm serving with honey glazed dinner rolls and a salad, for dinner tonight that will include company.

The chowder tastes good but there's something missing. A little zip. Any suggestions for any spice additions? It obviously has corn and also onions, bacon, celery, salt, paprika, milk, chicken broth, etc.

I don't make corn chowder often so I'm not quite sure what else to add that will give it a zip but not too spicy (I do have some chopped jalepenos on the side for me and whoever else wants more heat.)

Any suggestions?

I start out by cooking the bacon until very crisp. I remove and set aside, drain all but a tiny bit of the fat in which I cook finely cut onions, celery, green pepper and a bit of carrot. Then I proceed from there. I add the bacon as a sprinkle on top.

It seems to me that I have also made this recipe by Ina Garten.

Edited by BikeBookBread

I've made a pot of corn chowder that I'm serving with honey glazed dinner rolls and a salad, for dinner tonight that will include company.

The chowder tastes good but there's something missing. A little zip. Any suggestions for any spice additions? It obviously has corn and also onions, bacon, celery, salt, paprika, milk, chicken broth, etc.

I don't make corn chowder often so I'm not quite sure what else to add that will give it a zip but not too spicy (I do have some chopped jalepenos on the side for me and whoever else wants more heat.)

Any suggestions?

I agree with BBB that bell peppers are nice. A dollop of sour cream is also never amiss on chowder and will add both texture and flavor.

A dash of nutmeg. You'd be surprised. And thyme.

Did you add salt & pepper? The pork will add saltyness, but sometimes not enough.

I always saute the onions and bell pepper in butter. Makes a huge difference. Chowders are delish because they are full of FAT--- butter, cream, milk....;)

I don't use pork in my chowders. It's New England traditional, but we don't like it.

For heat, I prefer cayenne pepper.

Edited by LibraryLover

Pepper. I also like diced red peppers in mine.

I always make mine with 1 % milk and a dash of half-and-half, and it still tastes great. I like it peppery, though. You can always puree some of the chowder in a blender to thicken it and add it back to the pot.

Oh, and I start with chicken broth.