Menu

How are you able to use more than Singapore TB and WB?

JadeOrchidSong

It took me much more than a year to finish Singapore 1A 1B TB, WB with 1A, 1B IP books. Ds7 is 1/4 done with 2B. It will take us 18 weeks at least to finish 2B without any IP. So I wonder how you can add more than the bare bone TB and WB. I don't even use the HIG.

Please share how you do it. I would like to add the IP, but I can't see where we can fit it in. Should I assign some for afternoon homework?

J

First, get the HIG! It schedules the year out very efficiently and shows how much you should be doing each day, i.e., where lessons can be combined into one day's work. Of course, you still need to go at your child's pace, but the HIG gives you a nice framework to work from. If you find you still don't seem to have the time to work in the IP, you might try just using the IP over the summer.

We pretty much do an exercise a day (4-5 times a week). But it really depends on how much my dd gets. We are almost done with 2B, we spent one day on Capacity - she already knew this stuff because she cooks with me all the time. She also knows bars and graphs, so we will finish that chapter by the end of the week. Frankly looking through the rest of the book we will be done by Thanksgiving.

What I love about Singapore is the flexibility. You can spend as little time or as much time on a concept as you wish. Also, keep in mind that the A books cover more arithmetic type stuff, while the B books cover measurement, money, geometry type stuff. You may be able to move through 2B faster than you did 2A if the material is familiar or your ds gets it quickly.

I depend on my HIG and highly, highly recommend it. I love the way the HIG guides you how to teach a topic, because that way you really see if they *get* it. I spend more time on the HIG lesson plan than I do with the TB/WB because the HIG takes things deeper and further than the books and really rounds things out. For example, we are doing money in 2B right now and while my ds could add amounts using the standard algorithm (and do it in his head by looking at the TB and WB), we really enjoyed playing around with all the different strategies using play money as described in the HIG. The TB/WB pages are then a breeze so my ds can whip through them. Since my son has already covered all the material about time & fractions, we will skip a lot of that (although I will use the HIG to go over the concepts/look at them the "Singapore Way").

I have been using Horizons as my main program and adding in Singapore lessons as a supplement so lately we do math 2x a day. We just have math as a higher priority than some other things so we make room for it. If your ds burns out on math easily, then it's OK to take it in smaller chunks/go slower. You can use the summer to "catch up." I think it's a good idea to do math in the summer regardless otherwise too much is lost (after all that hard work, I want it to stick!).

Thank you, Andrea, and others, for detailing for me how you use your HIG. I had a look at the HIG of a friend's and decided not to get it. I see it as another thing to take my time.

I learned math the Chinese way (I came to the US at age 31) and often come up with my own strategy. For example, ds7 is learning 5 tables.

I teach him the way I always do, maybe no one else does it this way:

for even #, 4x5 = half of 4 and then add a 0 to the end. So that is 20.

for the odd #x5, i.e. 7x5 is half of one less than the odd # 7 and add a 5 to the end. So it is half of 6 and add 5 to the end and it is 35.

For division: 20/5: cross out the 0 of the whole #, then double the first #. So 2x2=4 is the answer. If it is 75/5, then double the tens #, that is 7x2, then add 1 more. The result is 15. For 35 / 5, the it is double 3 plus 1 and the result is 7. He learned it faster this way than to memorize the table or by counting by 5s.

I think if I do one level a year, then there is time in the summer to fit in the IP. Thanks for your advice. I am getting the Standards Edition for 3A, then I don't know if I should get the IP for that since it doesn't line up well.

It took me much more than a year to finish Singapore 1A 1B TB, WB with 1A, 1B IP books. Ds7 is 1/4 done with 2B. It will take us 18 weeks at least to finish 2B without any IP. So I wonder how you can add more than the bare bone TB and WB. I don't even use the HIG.

Please share how you do it. I would like to add the IP, but I can't see where we can fit it in. Should I assign some for afternoon homework?

J

I wouldn't assign it as homework. We work through the TB and WB first. Most days we complete either 1 workbook exercise or 1 practice/review exercise. On really easy topics we may double up and do 2. Then we complete the corresponding IP section. We also do CWP at the rate of 2 regular or 1 challenging problem a day (with a few occasional exceptions). I have schedules on my website for the US editions from 3A to 5B. If you'd like a schedule for 2B, pm me and I'll look through DD2's files from last year. HTH