Menu

I need books about Vikings for my dd

Annie Laurie

What are your favorites that would be suitable for a 7 yr old to read to herself?

I just requested some at my library but don't know what they'll be like until we get them. She reads the D'aulaires Norse Myths over and over, she read the D'aulaires Leif the Lucky and she also likes to reread the viking section of Usborne Time Traveler. And she read a book called Viking It and Liking It from The Time Warp Trio series, not exactly great literature. She has asked me if I could find her more books on Vikings.

She reads at about a 6th grade level but we don't want anything too scary. Ideas?

Edited by Annie Laurie

My dd, who is also seven, just read Clyde Robert Bulla's Viking Adventure, and she really liked it.

Tara

My kids are enjoying this one right now too. We are doing a lapbook from homeschool share that goes with the book.

The other books I have for vikings I have not had a chance to preread yet so I can't tell you if they are any good for a 7 year old to read independently.

But we have:

Usborne Beginners Vikings

Discoverying Canada: The Vikings

Eric the Red and Leif the Lucky by Barbara Schiller

Magic Treehouse: Viking ships at sunrise

Vikings: Warriors- age of conquerors by Philip Wilkinson(This is a large hardcover book similar in style to the various -ology books out there like dragonology, egyptology etc)

Hi, we've been studying Vikings through Winter Promise, Sea & Sky. My 8 yo daughter loved BBC history website on Friday, and spent half the day on there today just for fun. It's not a book, but a neat supplement :).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/primaryhistory/vikings/

Thank you! I showed her the site and she's looking forward to playing on it after quiet time.

How do you like Sea & Sky?

[quote=attachedto4;1323776

How do you like Sea & Sky?

We are going through it slowly, I'm a little worried about getting to far behind. There is so much in this program to pick and choose from, the problem is that we like to do everything they suggest. Plus we are serious slow pokes :). This is our first time using Winter Promise, I'm really pleased. I have 2 daughters 8 and 10, they've liked everything about S&S so far.

We are going through it slowly, I'm a little worried about getting to far behind. There is so much in this program to pick and choose from, the problem is that we like to do everything they suggest. Plus we are serious slow pokes :). This is our first time using Winter Promise, I'm really pleased. I have 2 daughters 8 and 10, they've liked everything about S&S so far.

WP does seem to pack their programs full. Glad you're enjoying it and thanks for replying!