Menu

TOG vs. SOTW

lovinmomma

Well, TOG itself is the spine. All the work is done for you, so you don't have to continuously go find books. That said, TOG uses SOTW as a history alternate reading. That means you can use SOTW with TOG. Clear as mud? :D Probably not LOL... ok, TOG goes from K-mom, so good for all grades. It includes awesome highschool electives like Government and Philosophy. Not sure how else to explain it. Let's start here: have you used either? Are you familiar with either?

We use the SOTW textbook as part of our TOG reading nearly all weeks. We love the way it reads in story form, bringing history alive. My dd is in 5th grade, and SOTW is geared toward 1-5th graders.

I cannot completely compare the two programs other than this though. I have not used the activity workbooks, quizzes, etc. so I'm not sure how SWB has laid it all out.

TOG is very in-depth, covering each period of history at multiple age levels. You can easily bring SOTW into your TOG program for LG/UG levels (as we do), but you would be hard pressed to bring all of the TOG into your SOTW program - although you could bring in parts of it. And if I understand correctly, SOTW is a history curriculum, whereas TOG is more than history. TOG includes geography, Bible, writing, fine arts and literature.

I'm sure there's more to add as a comparison than what I've stated here, so please chime in and help me out friends.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Does TOG use all of the chapters of SOTW or does it pick and choose chapters? When TOG uses a book does TOG point out things that you may want to pre-read or discuss with your children before reading to them? This is how I feel right now: :banghead: That should explain all of my questions.

TOG does pick which chapters of SOTW to use. I can only speak on Year 2 as we did not use SOTW with Year 1. So far, into unit 2, it seems it select at least 95% of the SOTW content.

At the end of each TOG weekplan, there are notes which alert parents to material that could be either troublesome to young children (violent or scary pictures) or should be altogether omitted (some paragraphs in books for older students which may contain sexual scenes.) I've found their notes to be very conservative. They will flag it for you to judge yourself.

Hope that helps!

Another that TOG includes is literary analysis of their literature selections even for early grades. My 1st grader, for example, had a worksheet to tell what happened at the beginning, middle, and end of the story Yeh-Shen which we read for our studies of ancient China. Literature study becomes more in-depth as the levels progress.

I would say activities for lower grades are pretty similar between TOG and the SOTW activities guide. TOG adds more activities for upper grades and also group activities. (Although many of the activities lap over from one level to another and from individual to group activities.)

I'm wanting to know the differences between TOG and SOTW when it comes to the reading and activities. I know that there are many other differences as far as teacher's notes, discussion questions, etc. I'm mostly just wanting to know about the reading selections and activities. TIA

Well I have only used the classic to date, so I hesitate to post. In general I would say their are more activities in TOG, but several will be more group based. I would say both tend to have more project based activities. I still supplement TOG with MOH activities, and a lot of paper doll books and making models books. Guess we are huge paper craft fans. We do use the other types, just not as much.

Reading? Well....trying to figure out how to put this into words. SOTW will have (in the activity book) lists of reading material, including: encyclopedias, literature and biographies (I believe). I don't remember any age levels on the reading, but I personally would consider STOW with AG and some extra LG and with lots of extra reading UG. I wouldn't consider SOTW as written equal to the D or R levels. TOG also recommends reading for additional topics that SOTW doesn't cover or just touches on and TOG goes more in depth on. The mapping in TOG is also much more in depth even at the LG level. I have to part it back at times.

Heather