Menu

Have you cooked a whole chicken in the crock pot?

I have an organic chicken in the fridge....if I put it in t he crock pot at 9:30am, what time will it be done? It is 5 pounds. Do you put cranberry or anything in with it? YAY! Y'all have made dinner for me(practically!)

Here's what I'm doing. I'm going to use onions and potatoes in place of the foil.

You could put a meat rack (if you have or can find one that fits in the crock) or some heavy duty foil under it (kinda hammock shaped) so you can pull the whole thing out.

I always forget and just end up with an unattractive pile of chicken parts. It's still good.

I WANT it to fall apart!

I put mine in 'breast down' and sprinkle with poultry seasoning. Sometimes I add an onion and or some celery... I also tend to add 1 cup of water--but not always.

Once it is falling-apart done I let it cool, strain off the broth (and let it separate). De-boning is pretty easy after you've done it a few times. Tonight I'm using the meat for enchiladas. The meat will be so tender I will shred it with my fingers. I'll wrap up the meat and some cheese in flour tortillas (one dd cant have corn) and then cover with a green chili-sour cream sauce...YUM!

I have an organic chicken in the fridge....if I put it in t he crock pot at 9:30am, what time will it be done? It is 5 pounds. Do you put cranberry or anything in with it? YAY! Y'all have made dinner for me(practically!)

My family likes this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Slow-Cooker-Chicken/Detail.aspx

Variation - you can put cut up veggies under the chicken in lieu of the tin foil, (onion, potatoes, carrots, butternut squash).