Menu

Mystery of History....

selh09

Isn't MOH for an older age range than SOTW is?

This is my understanding. I own Vol 1 and from what I've seen it would be fine with lower grammar age students. But, from what I have heard there is a HUGE jump in difficulty level once you get to Vol 3. I cant comment on specifics as I haven't used it yet. I'm considering it for the 2nd history rotation. I do know that the Author does include suggestions for using MOH for all ages. I would be interested to see how this works with the other Volumes that are supposedly more difficult.

Hope this helps!

The MOH website has Vol 1 for K-3....that's one of the things I was wondering about, if it could be used with K (as an introduction) or should the child be 1st grade.

On the back of the book it says "Written for 4-8th graders Adaptable for oder and younger" Just looking at the read aloud part of the text (vol 1)...it looks like most of the chapters are 1 or 2 pages long. I think it would work for 1st graders. Take a closer look at Vols 2 and 3 and make sure you think it would be appropriate for 2nd and 3rd graders. There is also an activity scheduled for younger students as well as other read alouds list in the appendix divided up by age. Im not sure I would dive in with a K'er though. For our K year we did a geography study that was fun and helped to prepare him for History.

After weeks of research , I am definitelly going with MOH.

Read some reviews here , but also on amazon ,cbd and rainboresources .

I know a mom who used to be a history teacher and she likes MOH much better. MOH is short to the point and allows you more time to fit some real books (the author has a suggestion list in MOH .).

MOH is definitely Biblically based and starts right with creation whereas SOTW doesn't start with Creation.

I want to teach my kids history from the beginning which for me is from Creation.

However, we do have SOTW Cd's and my kids enjoy them , but this is just a supplement.

http://www.homeschoolspot.com/showthread.php?t=20187

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123062

I used MOH and am now using SOTW with MFW. The main thing that I can say is that MOH has better further study (report) options that does SOTW. Alot of the activities that are in the activity guide (which MFW didnt recommend but I bought anyway) were pretty childish for my childrens ages. MOH though had 3 different levels of further study to do and I liked that. I also like that MOH had you use an atlas to look up the areas to map out where SOTW already does that for you.

also MOH is young earth and has alot more biblical history in it than SOTW does.

I really like MOH better than SOTW but I LOVE MFW enough to part with it. :001_smile:

After weeks of research , I am definitelly going with MOH.

Read some reviews here , but also on amazon ,cbd and rainboresources .

I know a mom who used to be a history teacher and she likes MOH much better. MOH is short to the point and allows you more time to fit some real books (the author has a suggestion list in MOH .).

MOH is definitely Biblically based and starts right with creation whereas SOTW doesn't start with Creation.

I want to teach my kids history from the beginning which for me is from Creation.

However, we do have SOTW Cd's and my kids enjoy them , but this is just a supplement.

http://www.homeschoolspot.com/showthread.php?t=20187

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123062

Thank you for those links!

we loved MOH vol 1. I used Trail Guides to Biblical Geography with it. We also added interesting readers as they came along. It is a bit much for a Ker I would think. But, you could move slower and do more enrichments. I preferred it to SOTW because MOH does not have make up stories. Personally, I do not like make up stories in my history spine. There are so many wonderful true historic figures and events that I do not see the need for fiction in the spine. Now, if I want some historic fiction to supplement, that would be good, but not in my main text. Obviously that is personal preference. I did not like SOTW vol 1. Now, having said that, I loved SOTW vol 2.

we did not like MOH vol 2. It is a huge leap in "meaty" material and level. It was not as "balanced" as I would have liked in a world history spine. I used SOTW vol 2 for that time period and liked it quite a bit.

I am using MOH 2 this year for the first time, with both children. I bought the "Quest for the Middle Ages" guides from Winter Promise. It's a little tricky to stay on top of both kids and their reading, but I do like the program.

PROs- wide reading, a great "timeline" board, to which we add figures as we learn them (we also add Catholic saints as we come across them), with the "Quest" guide it's easy planning. And I've come to enjoy reading aloud to both children. The Activity supplements are really enjoyable.

CONs- Using the "Quest" guide, which has great secondary reading recommendations, I didn't have the patience to search for each book individually, and there are A LOT of books....so I ordered everything from Winter Promise. I think I spent about $500.

"MOH is definitely Biblically based and starts right with creation whereas SOTW doesn't start with Creation.

I want to teach my kids history from the beginning which for me is from Creation."

:iagree:

Thanks Blessedmom3.....

Everyone has given me great thoughts!!!

We enjoyed greatly using MOH Vol. 1 (had upper and lower grammar students) and reading SOTW along with it. THe yahoo groups at MOH offer a cross schedule that made the double use simple. MOH gave my children such a rich understanding of the Old Testament that I couldn't rec. it higher for K-2. The first volume of SOTW was well done and we enjoyed it as a read aloud.

Having said that, for *us* I was looking for something designed a bit differently that would save me lesson planning time and went with TOG after MOH Vol. 1.

When I get back around to Ancients (2.5 years), I will probably just stick with TOG b/c my youngest will be in 3rd grade by then and will enter the upper grammar level of TOG; although, I couldn't bring myself to get rid of MOH Vol.1, just in case :)