Menu

New appliances

We need a new microwave and refrigerator. Please tell me what you like and what you don't like.

I love the look of the french door refrigerator, but I haven't seen any for less than $1,500. I'd like to spend only about $1,000 if we can find something we like for that price.

Thanks!

What other features do you want? Do you want a water/ice dispenser?

When you say French doors, do you mean side by side doors?

We have purchased our last 2 refridgerators at Sears (Kenmore). They were over $1,000 but we also got stainless steel, water and ice dispenser, and extras. You may not need that. DH was also very picky about the water and ice being together on the outside of the door. Some of the cheaper models had the water dispenser INSIDE the fridge and the ice maker in the freezer but not accessable from the door.

Dawn

What other features do you want? Do you want a water/ice dispenser?

When you say French doors, do you mean side by side doors?

We have purchased our last 2 refridgerators at Sears (Kenmore). They were over $1,000 but we also got stainless steel, water and ice dispenser, and extras. You may not need that. DH was also very picky about the water and ice being together on the outside of the door. Some of the cheaper models had the water dispenser INSIDE the fridge and the ice maker in the freezer but not accessable from the door.

Dawn

I'd like a water/ice dispenser accessible without opening the door. I've seen a few side by side refrigerators with that feature for under $1,000. If we go with a side by side, I want the freezer side to be wide enough for pizza boxes. I know they make them that big, because our freezer in Baltimore was that wide. The one we have currently is a little too narrow and it's annoying.

I also want white, not stainless steel.

French door refrigerators have the freezer on the bottom. They have double doors on top, but both doors open to the refrigerator.

NC is having a sales tax holiday for Energy Star appliances this weekend, so we're going to try to go shopping on Saturday.

We had wonderful luck replacing our old fridge with a Sears floor model! We got a $1500 fridge for $750!! Ours isn't a french door model, but it's the freezer on the bottom, white model. The door on top is just one door and quite manageable (my tiny 3 yo can open it!). I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! It's an Amana, 25 cu ft model.

We had wonderful luck replacing our old fridge with a Sears floor model! We got a $1500 fridge for $750!! Ours isn't a french door model, but it's the freezer on the bottom, white model. The door on top is just one door and quite manageable (my tiny 3 yo can open it!). I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! It's an Amana, 25 cu ft model.

I'd love to get a deal like that!

We need a new microwave and refrigerator. Please tell me what you like and what you don't like.

What kind of microwave are you looking for--countertop or over-the-range?

We just replaced our over-the-range microwave a few months ago. Our last one was a GE and this one is a GE. Not because we're loyal GE fans, but it had the features we wanted and it was in our price range (I think we spent about $300 and got free delivery and/or installation--can't remember which of those we paid for).

The features I wanted were the express buttons--press a number 1-6 and it automatically starts heating for that many minutes without having to press any other buttons, including Start.

The other feature I like is the Add 30 Seconds button. Except the difference between my old one and the new one is that on the old one, after pressing an express button I could immediately add 30 seconds, and on the new one I have to wait a few seconds until the microwave fully responds to the first command and clears the message from the screen.

Dh wanted the food-specific express buttons, like Popcorn, etc... I never use those.

What kind of microwave are you looking for--countertop or over-the-range?

We just replaced our over-the-range microwave a few months ago. Our last one was a GE and this one is a GE. Not because we're loyal GE fans, but it had the features we wanted and it was in our price range (I think we spent about $300 and got free delivery and/or installation--can't remember which of those we paid for).

The features I wanted were the express buttons--press a number 1-6 and it automatically starts heating for that many minutes without having to press any other buttons, including Start.

The other feature I like is the Add 30 Seconds button. Except the difference between my old one and the new one is that on the old one, after pressing an express button I could immediately add 30 seconds, and on the new one I have to wait a few seconds until the microwave fully responds to the first command and clears the message from the screen.

Dh wanted the food-specific express buttons, like Popcorn, etc... I never use those.

We have an over the range microwave. I like the Popcorn, Baked Potato, etc. buttons. I like the defrost feature too.

I love my bottom freezer french door refrigerator. If you wait a little, until the new models are about to come out, you might be able to get the older model for a lot less money. Ask your dealers what month they put things on clearance to make room for the next model. I bought my refrigerator that way in March, but different stores may be different.

Microwave: includes convection oven so you can use it as a second oven for big events. Love, love, loved that!

Fridge: We had a GE fridge with a "custom cool drawer". It was the best thing since sliced bread. You could throw in a frozen roast, hit a button, and it would thaw it with warm air until it was thawed, then go to regular refrig temp. Could thaw a big roast in 3 or 4 hours! You could also set it to rapid cool and it would blow freezer air through it until it hit the right chill temp and then revert to fridge temps. So, you could cool a couple bottles of wine in an hour, but not have to grab them out of the freezer before they exploded b/c you forget them, lol. I LOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDD that custom cool thing and would spend an extra $500 to get it again. It's the thing I miss most about the house we sold 5 years ago and I just wish my stupid sturdy ugly refrigerator would go ahead and break b/c I want it back in a bad way but won't be able to bring myself to blow the $$ on it when our current fridge is "perfectly fine." Other than that, I don't really like side-by-sides b/c the shelves are so narrow it's hard to fit in a big cake box or a whole turkey, etc. I'd prefer a freezer-drawer-on-the-bottom or something like that if I had my druthers. Of course, you have to have water and ice in the door. :)

Thanks everyone for your input. We bought a Whirlpool Gold side by side refrigerator on sale for $1,100, and a basic Whirlpool microwave on sale for under $200. I would have been tempted to get a micro/convection oven if we hadn't had to replace both appliances at the same time.