Menu

Managers of their Homes (MOTH)

I posted on another thread, but I thought I might start a new thread just for my questions...

WOW...I look at the MOTH schedule that someone posted...making that kind of schedule ALONE seems overwhelming...much less following it. What happens when something causes the schedule to get off...then do yo just continue in the schedule skipping what is missed? Maybe that is all covered in the book...but it all seems almost too unreal???

Also, what is the difference between Managers of Their Homes and Managers of their Schools?

Thanks.!!!!!!!

The difference is MOTH is about creating a schedule for your home and MOTS is for those who are struggling with the academics of their schooling and how to help make it better. They use textbooks and are for this schooling of thought. Each book is VERY good - both have valuable information. If you are just strating out though I would recommend MOTH first.

Yes, you're supposed to skip what was missed. I'm sure you could switch it for something else if it was something unskippable: feed kids. LOL

It is overwhelming if you follow it to the T, but the *principles* are very helpful, & I modify them for myself. Instead of 15-30min blocks of not. losing. a. single. minute. (I'd spend more time checking my sched than *doing* anything, lol), I (currently) do 2hr blocks.

So, I know I get up around 8, & I know that between diapers, b'fast, dishes, etc., we don't really leave the kitchen to start our day until 10. I can't account for every minute, but I know we're busy (um...not counting right now, lol). So 8-10 is blocked off for b'fast. That really means b'fast, dishes, morning chores, changing diapers, whatever, but it offers enough flexibility that if I get up late, it can still get done. If an emergency ensues, we can still be done by 10. And there's enough that needs to be done that if I get up early, we have the choice to keep working in the kitchen (do a load of laundry, start dinner), or start sch early.

The only thing this changes for me is the sense of guilt. I was starting sch at 10 anyway, but feeling awful about it. When I *planned* it that way, I began to find chunks of time that were usable & see what would fit. This also helps me to have more reasonable expectations of what we *can* get done.

10-12 is math & language arts. Technically, this is an old schedule. Baby's naps have changed & we're currently in limbo between working schedules. But that helped, too, because usually, when I finally get to the sch room, I'm overwhelmed by the stacks of books. I don't know where to start, & so I pick what's easy or fun for me. Or I answer the phone, lol.

I feel better about sch when math & LA are done, & ea of those *easily* fits into an hr. Then 12-2, I know the babies are up, getting cranky, lunch needs making, etc., so that's a long lunch break. I couldn't get anything done during that time anyway, but *planning* that problem alleviated the guilt. I have 2 hrs to make lunch, read a book to the babies, let the 4 of them play while I check email, etc., & it's all good.

Iow, I love MOTH, but I don't use it the way she suggests.

Mgrs of their Schools has ideas for how to plan school, get everything done, etc., but...well, I love Terri Maxwell. I love her gentle way of explaining her POV. I can read it & not feel condemned or angry. BUT MOTS is VERY CONSERVATIVE. I'm pretty far to the right on moral, philosophical, etc. issues, & she's so far right of me that...if the book didn't have such a gentle tone, I'd have thrown it across the room. At times, I was tempted to throw it anyway.

In the end, I'm glad I've got it, I'm glad I've read it, & our school has benefitted from some of the ideas in it. For most people, though, I'd say the hunt isn't worth the effort in this book. She's very VERY in favor of textbooks, which isn't nec a problem, but her reasons for using them...well...they're very different from my educational philosophy. Very different from WTM or a living books approach.

She writes about her opinions on these matters with such humility that I can almost respect her choices--most of the time respect them, maybe?--and it helps to remember that she's writing from the perspective of hs'ing in the early 80s--things were very different then--and I DO respect her faith & faithfulness in following what she believes.

But if you love MOTH (or not), don't assume it will carry over to MOTS. MOTCh, though? Maybe the best book I've ever read, hands down. Its pages should be gold-tipped. :D

MOTH can be very overwhelming - but I adore it. It took about 2 years for us to really be able to use it though.

We actually rarely follow our schedule exactly. But having the schedule helps me see what we're missing when we don't. It's more of a tool to enable me to make good decisions.

As a plus, on the days that we do follow the schedule all day, we are incredibly productive!

I posted on another thread, but I thought I might start a new thread just for my questions...

WOW...I look at the MOTH schedule that someone posted...making that kind of schedule ALONE seems overwhelming...much less following it. What happens when something causes the schedule to get off...then do yo just continue in the schedule skipping what is missed? Maybe that is all covered in the book...but it all seems almost too unreal???

Also, what is the difference between Managers of Their Homes and Managers of their Schools?

Thanks.!!!!!!!

Could someone post a link to the "MOTH schedule that someone posted?" I'm interested. Thanks.

See if you can borrow the book. I don't schedule the MOTH way, but it did open my eyes to a new way of scheduling. I took what I could use and left the rest. It's a little intense for me. I enjoyed learning from it, and lent it to many a friend. I don't have it anymore because someone didn't return it.

I've used MOTH for 10 years. We've never been rigid with it. (Well, for the first few weeks of a schedule we are rigid, but once we're used to it we relax a lot.) The schedule actually helps me be more flexible, not less, because seeing it on paper helps me quickly make decisions about changes. There have been a few years that I delayed making a schedule, and my kids and I were miserable until I finally did.

I think very large families or families with a lot of small children benefit the most from MOTH. Smaller families sometimes think it's overkill, and for the reasonably organized mom of a small family, it probably is.

I didn't care for Managers of Their Schools. Just not my cup of tea.

In the end, I'm glad I've got it, I'm glad I've read it, & our school has benefitted from some of the ideas in it. For most people, though, I'd say the hunt isn't worth the effort in this book. She's very VERY in favor of textbooks, which isn't nec a problem, but her reasons for using them...well...they're very different from my educational philosophy. Very different from WTM or a living books approach.

Why is she so much in favor of textbooks? I've wondered this for awhile.

Why is she so much in favor of textbooks? I've wondered this for awhile.

They see textbooks as the most efficient way to cover all the necessary topics. Their dc write testimonies in the book on how well they enjoyed using textbooks. It sounds to me like she was using unit studies (I'm guessing KONOS) before textbooks and it was just too scattered with too much planning time for her, which is exactly how I would feel about it. For me though, the solution was WTM, not textbooks.

Edited by Luann in ID

They see textbooks as the most efficient way to cover all the necessary topics. Their dc write testimonies in the book on how well they enjoyed using textbooks. It sounds to me like she was using unit studies (I'm guessing KONOS) before textbooks and it was just too scattered with too much planning time for her, which is exactly how I would feel about it. For me though, the solution was WTM, not textbooks.

I figured it was something like that, but just wasn't sure.

The key to making a schedule work is to remember that it is a tool to help you and not a task master to try to keep up with. There are two ways to plan for interruptions and unexpected problems. Our schedule is padded. I schedule the kids a little more time for each subject than I actually expect they will need (assuming of course they are working diligently and not daydreaming). This takes care of small interruptions like diaper changes, messes requiring immediate cleaning, or taking the dog outside. For larger interruptions (doctor's appointments, large messes, etc.), I either just skip what is missed or use the schedule to prioritize what is most important for us to get done in the time we have available.

Thanks.!!!!!!!

MOTH covers scheduling and has sections on school, housework/chores, cooking, babies/toddlers, etc. If you're wanting to put together a schedule this is the book you want to get.

MOTS from what I understand covers how the Maxwells do school in their house. They use a textbook approach (which is why I've never gotten the book). Their is one section on scheduling, but it won't be as detailed as the MOTH book. HTH

Yes, I think it was primarily about effeciency, but there was also the issue of wanting to avoid...literature. Talking animals, imaginary things, immoral issues. It's a "just the facts, ma'am" approach. Textbooks generally avoid most of what they find offensive & are easily edited when necessary, via white-out, etc.

I have a lit degree. This makes me a little tense. :001_smile:

I am a former English teacher. This sent me over the edge too.

Well, that and their views on sports and their views on working in an environment where their sons might have to work with other women, and well, most of it send me over the edge.

Dawn

Yes, I think it was primarily about effeciency, but there was also the issue of wanting to avoid...literature. Talking animals, imaginary things, immoral issues. It's a "just the facts, ma'am" approach. Textbooks generally avoid most of what they find offensive & are easily edited when necessary, via white-out, etc.

:iagree:Exactly. I wasn't sure how to word it in my post, but that was another major issue in the book. After being a fan of Teri's for ten years, I could hardly get through the Managers of Their Schools book, for the reasons you and Dawn give.

Side stepping, or um, speeding past the whole literature discussion... :auto:

Don't be afraid of a schedule. If you do it right, you will have tremendous flexibility. I tend to over schedule: 30 minutes for spelling. Does spelling ever take 30 minutes? Not in my home. This allows for those incidentals (changing baby's diaper, longer math lesson, service man showing up at the house, etc.).

The best part about a MOTH routine is that my children don't ask, "What should I do next?" They automatically move forward. With a house full of children, I can't even begin to express how much that little detail helps my day. :)

Your schedule/routine is meant to serve your family; you do not serve your schedule/routine.

so who here uses the MOTH schedule along with Workboxes? We use workboxes, love it and don't plan on changing that...so I was wondering how the 2 can gel together.

Kathy

Sure and you don't need MOTH to create a schedule. Actually I wouldn't recommend MOTH for any family with less than four children. Just put on your schedule:

8:00 Breakfast

8:30 Chores

9:00 Workboxes :)

so it sounds like you all think the MOTH is a good book, but MOTS, not so much? AM I reading that right???

I love MOTH, and I think most homeschoolers, especially Christians, will find much helpful advice in it. MOTS appeals to a much narrower audience. Even though I consider myself a very conservative Christian, the philosophy behind MOTS was different enough from my own that I didn't find it helpful or inspiring. They come across as seeing education as a job to get checked off so you can get on to more worthy activities. Most WTMers, I think, see education as valuable in and of itself. KWIM?