Menu

Need a sure-fire red bean recipe ...

... before my family grows to hate beans forever. My last 3-4 bean things have not gone over well.

I have already soaked 1# of red kidney beans overnight. I have 1/4 lb. ham and about 2/3 lb. hamburger in the fridge to work with. And pantry full of stuff including onions

Slow cooker recipes preferred but please do not hesitate to post something non-slow cooker delicious.

Thank you!

1 lb dry beans

1 bunch green onions, chopped (white + most of the green)

1 regular white onion, chopped

1 green bell pepper, chopped

2 tsp pickled jalepeno peppers, seeds removed, minced

Healthy sprinkling of Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp garlic powder

1 (1-lb) link of polish or turkey sausage - the kind that is already fully-cooked

smoked ham hock

1 tsp garlic

1 tsp oregano

1 Tbs dried parsley flakes

salt and pepper to taste

Water

Hot cooked rice for serving time.

Soak beans overnight, then drain. Combine all ingredients through salt and pepper in the crock pot. Fill most of the way full with water. Cook on high 3 - 4 hours. Reduce to low and cook about six more hours. Serve over rice.

I like to serve this with cole slaw and garlic cheese biscuits.

HTH

Edited by Hoggirl
originally left out the garlic!

thanks!

Do you think Andouille sausage would be ok instead of Polish in the recipe above?

I use Andouille in my famous red beans a rice recipe, which I wrote about in this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10068&highlight=Andouille

I use small red beans, tho. But because you mash them up a bit, kidneys would be okay.

To make this on the stovetop, you do everything the same except that you stir regularly, and mash beans as you go, and add more water as necessary.

I know you have the kidneys already soaked, so I'd try the above recipe.

But have you thought about using pintos? Or black beans? My family doesn't like kidney beans and I thought that meant "all" beans until I tried pintos. I don't think they are as "gassy" either.:D

I soak 'em. Then rinse in the morning, throw them in a crock pot with a "box" of broth (you know, the large box type container), a can of RoTel tomatoes, and one smoked sausage (I use lite) chopped up. Then I season a little more with a hefty sprinkle of garlic powder and cumin. Let it go all day and serve either as a soup with a side of cornbread, or over rice. My family digs it! It makes a lot, so we usually have it once, then freeze for later. Super cheap and easy.

How can one sub for Cajun seasoning? Is Old Bay close?

The ones I saw posted had thyme, garlic, red pepper, etc. as ingredients. I wasn't sure which one you were going with. To me, Old Bay is really strong in the celery taste, which is different from my experiences with Cajun seasonings such as Tony C's.

I don't think you can mess up though!

Big sigh.

I went online reading something about red beans and andouille and saw a bunch of Cajun seasoning ingredient recipes. I got confused between those and the ones from the New Orleans grandmother.

Aye aye-aye. Here is what did go into the crockpot.

1# red kidney beans, soaked overnight

1# lightly browned Andouille sausage, cut into the moon shapes

3 finely chopped onions

3 big squirts of crushed garlic in a tube (equiv to 5 cloves probably)

6 cups water

1 cup red wine

2 T chicken bouillion

3 bay leaves

3/4 t Old Bay

1/4 t chili powder

1/4 t oregano

1/4 t crushed thyme

I hope this is not the thing that sends my family over the bean edge! I can always offer the beans or a dinner of :lurk5: and:spam:

If anyone has any ingredients they'd suggest I put in the pot at this point (other than salt, I'll put that in last), do let me know.

Looks delicious! I would add some paprika, though. My cajun seasoning has paprika listed 2nd only to salt.

Its Emerils Bayou Blast (:D) - ingredients are: salt, paprika, granulated garlic (you've already got the garlic covered, though), cayenne, black pepper, mustard, and those infamous "other spices".

(ETA took out the suggestion for cayenne - forgot about the sausage choice!)

Edited by LauraGB