Menu

Ideas for Reading Lessons Please

Other than reading and reading comprehension.

I am looking for something to do with my son to cover this course and to change things up a bit for us. I was thinking of possibly doing something about the newspaper. I remember doing a project in school where we had to clip parts out of a newspaper from each section and glue and paste them onto paper and then put them into a binder. I think that we also had to summarize the passages. I do not fully remember what we did. Anyways, this is a possibility and it is all that I have come up with so far.

IDEAS:

*Newspaper Study

• 2 weeks later...

We've been at Leonard Wood :)

I had a similar newspaper assignment in middle school. It was multi-disciplinary:

Geography - identify locale or location

Social Studies - identify relevant historic or recent events tying into article

Grammar - identify "word type of the week" (circle all prepositional phrases; compound words, whatever we were studying that week)

Composition - summarize the article

Speech - give brief overview of article OR facilitate a class discussion (we had to draw names so only two students per week did this)

We were encouraged to find articles from different parts of the newspaper to get a broad range - not just front page articles. So there would be a smattering of science, local happenings, etc in our binders.

Most of the old Readers have excellent collections of stories and some also teach vocab. You can get the 1879 McGuffey series reprinted cheaply, also I like Parker's Readers, they are linked at the end of my Webster page on Google books, but you can also buy them fairly cheaply from ABE books or Alibris. The Parker readers have difficult words defined and marked diacritically for pronunciation.

My Webster page is linked in my signature.

Are you referring to Functional Reading? Ruth Beechick talks about this in her book "You can Teach YOur Child Successfully." Some suggestions she has listed are:Reading signs, learning food labels, How to read directions, Newspapers, Ads, Schedules etc.

If you have access to the book I would suggest taking a look at that section. She tells you what to do in a lot more detail (including what to do with newspapers) and is worth while.

Do you mean creative type things to include in a portfolio? Things that go beyond basic book reports?

Some things I have used (in classroom settings, but can be done at home!) are writing journal entries from the viewpoint of a character, adapting a short scene into a one-act play or short screenplay, create-your-own trivia game based on details from a book, write a mock newspaper/magazine interview (using the protagonist if the book is fiction, or the subject if using a biography).

Are you referring to Functional Reading? Ruth Beechick talks about this in her book "You can Teach YOur Child Successfully." Some suggestions she has listed are:Reading signs, learning food labels, How to read directions, Newspapers, Ads, Schedules etc.

If you have access to the book I would suggest taking a look at that section. She tells you what to do in a lot more detail (including what to do with newspapers) and is worth while.

Thank you. I think that I will look for this book at the library today. Here in MO, we are required to teach reading and have logged hours for it. The definition as to what reading constitutes is vague. So we have been reading different works, working on comprehension and so on, but I was looking for something to change it up a bit. Hence my recollection of once doing a newspaper assignment.