Menu

What to use after Horizons 6

My kids have all moved on to MUS's alg which we use as pre-alg and then on to Foerster's alg.

I'm not the experience would equate though b/c my kids have all used Horizons from K and it incorporates pre-alg concepts from the younger grades in a very natural way. They have been able to transition into alg without any difficulties.

What did you end up using for Algebra I?

We're using Algebra: Structure and Method, book 1 (Brown, Dolciani)... It's a used copy of a relatively new edition (I think most recent revisions were 1990 and 2000 -- we have the 1990 ed, which I don't think changed much to 2000)...

We're using Algebra: Structure and Method, book 1 (Brown, Dolciani)... It's a used copy of a relatively new edition (I think most recent revisions were 1990 and 2000 -- we have the 1990 ed, which I don't think changed much to 2000)...

Thanks, although we have awhile until we get there, I'm trying to figure out post-elementary math in my head. So confusing!

Thanks, although we have awhile until we get there, I'm trying to figure out post-elementary math in my head. So confusing!

You certainly have a lot of good options when you get to that point. And I'm not sure that my dd (who, at this point at least, is far less "mathy" than ds) will follow the same path when she finishes Horizons and Singapore Primary. But I do feel that those programs (together with careful teaching) give a very strong background for whatever direction you choose later on. Sometimes, when you're looking a ways out, the best thing is just to choose what will give you *options* in the future. :) I think you're doing that, and you don't have to know exactly what you'll do after H/S for elementary for a while yet. :)

I feel like we'll probably need to do pre-algebra given our late switch to Horizons. We left MUS because of the mastery (vs. spiral) approach. I feel like we got behind. Maybe mastery is better with algebra, but I'm not sure I want to return to MUS. Instead, I've read that Lial's is self-explanatory and Forerster's is also "gentle". I like the idea of having dvd's available like Chalkdust offers. Life of Fred seems very popular, but I'm not sure how it compares to these other curricula.

What pre-algebra do you all like the best?

I feel like we'll probably need to do pre-algebra given our late switch to Horizons. We left MUS because of the mastery (vs. spiral) approach. I feel like we got behind. Maybe mastery is better with algebra, but I'm not sure I want to return to MUS. Instead, I've read that Lial's is self-explanatory and Forerster's is also "gentle". I like the idea of having dvd's available like Chalkdust offers. Life of Fred seems very popular, but I'm not sure how it compares to these other curricula.

What pre-algebra do you all like the best?

I am absolutely NOT a fan of MUS. I will say, though, that their alg program makes a great pre-alg. It is not anything like their elementary level courses. It is a very basic simplified approach to alg. (FWIW, I do not use any of the blocks, etc.)

I had a chuckle when I read your post b/c I have never heard of Foerster as a "gentle" algebra course. :lol: Foerster is not what I would term "gentle"........MUS, yes. Foerster, nope. Foerster has excellent explanations, but the application problems are can get very difficult. (As a matter of fact, I am glad I am going to see a phD mathematician tomorrow b/c I have 2 Foerster alg 2 problems that I have not been able to solve with my kids!! ;))

I highly recommend Foersters......I love it! But it is definitely a very thorough and challenging program. It simply teaches very well.